2 replies to this topic

#1 mosternaz

mosternaz

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:46 AM

Our church recently purchased the XD-V75 system for both speaking and vocal performance.  Both the male and female pastors will use a Countryman E6 with the body pack.  Our praise team will use the handhelds and we have a few lavs.  We also do free community concerts with local artists, so have everything from jazz to kids to chamber musicians.

Are there any "rules of thumb" for selecting an emulation?  For example, for our male pastor, what would you recommend for settings?  He speaks in a moderate tone with a very midrange voice. No fire and brimstone here.   Our female pastor tends to speak louder, but of course her voice is a higher pitch.

The praise team will use some hardwired SM58's as well, so assume that should be the emulation.

If we have a baritone soloist or a soprano soloist, are there better emulations to choose from?

I guess I'm wondering if there is a chart or if anyone has studied this.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

...Are there any "rules of thumb" for selecting an emulation?...

...I guess I'm wondering if there is a chart or if anyone has studied this...

Please be assured that most of us found that the huge range of options that suddenly arrived with our XD-V systems was quite bewildering to contemplate, ...at first.

If there have been any cases where that bewilderment persisted beyond the first few "performances" with "our new" XD-V gear, I've yet to hear of them, so in terms of "a chart" or an actual "study" being required...

...in many ways this gear provides a modern-day illustration of Paul's advice to "walk by faith" rather than "by sight".

So your ears will be very pleasantly surprised to discover how "right" your instincts will, in fact, prove to have been when deciding between LIne 6's "Speech" and "Instrument" filter settings in their beltpacks (all of which "keep faith" by being very "true to label")

...and...

YES, your selection of Line 6's "58" model in your new handhelds will instantly grant your audio team "mix and match" familiarity when they combine them with your existing stock of cabled Shure SM58 mics.

...If we have a baritone soloist or a soprano soloist, are there better emulations to choose from?

One of the many reasons that there's no "chart" or "study" from which to draw is that the actual "sound" perceived by the "audience" or "congregation" is not only unique to each performer, but also subject to the huge variations of the actual sound systems and the acoustic "spaces" in which they're operating.

So me telling you that I tend to "start" by handing baritones either an "L6" or a "767" model (and similarly "start" sopranos on "58" or "935" models) may be of very little use, especially when you then learn that I often have cause to subsequently change those settings, either following rehearsal, or (in the absence of rehearsal time) ahead of a given performer's next "gig".

I can however offer that I've yet to encounter a situation where a headworn mic has NOT benefited from the simultaneous application of both unique Line 6 options, being the "Speech Filter" in their beltpacks and the "Dynamic Filter" in their receivers...

...oh...

...AND that control of reverberation (whether natural and/or artificial) is the key to success with ensembles, be they "chamber", "choral" or "kids". 

#3 mosternaz

mosternaz

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

Just got back from our first test set up.  This is an amazing system.  We have 11 units and played with the emulation on the handhelds and the body packs that will use the lavs and two Countryman sets.  Such choices, but you were correct that your ear will tell you what to select.

We had a couple of issues to resolve - we are in a brick building and the soundbooth is in the worst possible location, with no field of sight to the end of the choir loft.  We loose transmission in one corner of the loft.  Not a deal breaker, but we may need to rethink where we put these.  Had some WI-Fi issues - the line 6 ran perfectly, but we could not access the wi-fi at points.  Not a deal breaker again, but something to work on.

Need to rack mount now and bring in the pastors for some further testing, but overall, this is an amazing system.

Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users