Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod XT Live "revival" - which software do I need?

I have a Pod XT I bought years ago when they came out. I used it with an editor and remember having the driver, Monkey, and some edit program (maybe Line 6 Edit) on an old PC.

However, over the years I stopped using the PC and started using a Mac, which I never used the Pod with. I actually used it live for a while, then as a MIDI floor controller for a synth (I rant the synth out into it and added FX, but wrote over all the factory patches!). Finally I let my son use it for a while.

I've re-inherited it and am now trying to incorporate it into my project studio.

I've used Monkey to download the latest of almost everything, which still so far seems to work with my ancient Mac 10.6.8 (thankfully).

So I was able to update the flash memory and get all of the new amp/fx models they've added in (yay) which should be fun to play with (and thus restore factory presets)

I've got the License Manager and Authorized the unit and computer (which had never been done before apparently).

I've got Monkey obviously.

I've got Line 6 Edit.

I've got Gearbox.

Do I need Pod Farm (or PF2) - looks like a huge application based on the download time - I've got Reaper, Logic Express, Cubase Le, Garageband and Finale.

Is it basically VST versions of L6 stuff? Could be fun. Do I need it, or want it?

Do I need both Gearbox and Line 6 Edit, or did Gearbox surpass Edit?

L6 Edit gives me some kind of weird error when trying to go online.

Gbx gave a connection error too (asked to turn of virus protection). But maybe something else is going on with it??? Conflict with L6 Edit?

Let's see.

Gearbox did surpass Edit. BUT depending on your system Edit may be the only one that will work.

Pod Farm is nice but unless you are going to buy it go for PF 1 as its free.

The online functions for Edit and GB - I've never used them but yes they try to connect (I think) to Custom Tone. But TBH just build your own or DL them direct.

• Downvote 1