Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recording with the 500X

gtrwizrd

Here's my setup to begin:

Epiphone Les Paul>HD500X>*single XLR (from left output)>Focusrite Scarlett Solo (XLR input)

Now I know I can use a 1/4th from the unbalanced outputs, but how is this different from the XLR? Does the single XLR I'm using give a stereo or mono signal? And whichever one I use, how do I record in my DAW (cakewalk music creator 5)? Currently I'm using the "left HD500x input" on the cakewalk input, but I'm still not sure how this is different from stereo. When I try recording in stereo on the cakewalk, there's no sound, only when I use the "left HD500x input." So does this mean it's being "summed to mono?" Hopefully this all makes sense!!

The XLR outputs from the HD do not sum to mono. Each one sends half the stereo spectrum, the L or R accordingly. If you want a stereo output with a single lead you need to use the 1/4" L output from the HD - that's the one labeled L/MONO.

• Upvote 1

Mono means ONE! You are recording a summed output of both L and R when using mono. In both the output sections you will see XLR Left, XLR Right outputs. To record stereo you must plug a cable FROM both L and R on the HD500 IN TO the L and R inputs on your interface, mixer, stereo power amp, etc. to get signal from both channels. Set the Pan controls on the now stereo channels as hard Left and hard Right. It is the same for the 1/4 guitar cord outputs. Mono output will not be stereo AT ALL! It is simply a SINGLE output signal of both the channels but not split and spread apart so your stereo FX will not work.

Stereo consists of two signals. You can get this from the 2 XLR connections into your Focusrite, or the 2 1/4" connectors into your Focusrite, or via USB and selecting that PC input in your DAW.

Summed mono is only 1 signal. The left and right channels are combined into a single channel and you won't be able to separate them in your DAW. But you'll still hear both channels. They just won't be spread. If you pan it then both channels will pan together. You get this by using only a single 1/4" connection into your Focusrite.