Photo

Jtv 69 Battery

Best Answer ozbadman , 07 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

It takes 3.5 - 4 hours the first time. It'll go constant red when charging. Pressing the battery test should have shown you something after 3 hours though. You might have a bad battery. Leave it charging overnight and if still nothing the next day, send the battery back.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 sozeg

sozeg

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

Hi, when charging the variax battery, using the separate charger, what is the sequence of the red light? Does blinking red mean charging and does it go green or constant red when fully charged? I've charged the battery for about 3 hours and it has been blinking red the whole time. When I put the battery in my variax though I got nothing when I hit the battery test light. I had a 1/4 inch jack and vdi lead in. Have I just not let it charge long enough?

#2 ozbadman

ozbadman

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:35 PM   Best Answer

It takes 3.5 - 4 hours the first time. It'll go constant red when charging. Pressing the battery test should have shown you something after 3 hours though. You might have a bad battery. Leave it charging overnight and if still nothing the next day, send the battery back.

#3 snhirsch

snhirsch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationBurlington, VT USA

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

Mine shows solid red while charging and starts blinking when complete.

40 years of Rock-n-Roll and proud of it!

PRS Custom 24 (1990) w/ GK-3 Hex PU

James Tyler Variax JTV-69(k) w/ Strat Neck

Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth

QSC K10 FRFR

#4 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

Blinking when almost complete is what the instructions say.  Leave it on for a while after it starts blinking to get a full charge.  Solid red during most of the charge cycle.

#5 spmartin

spmartin

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

snhirsch and Charlie_Watt are correct.

BTW, in my quest to be frugal, I began wondering where to get some backup batteries cheaper than $50 each. This one looks suspiciously like the Line 6 version. Almost identical specs, shape etc. 

http://goo.gl/lUTLkF

I am sure they did not pay to design a proprietary battery for their guitars. Probably just found a reliable source in China, and built the guitar around it. At the price of the one linked above, I should just get it and see if it fits. No much downside if the electrical specs are correct.

#6 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:56 AM

Sure looks like the right battery.   Not sure why it's so cheap. 

#7 spmartin

spmartin

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:09 AM

It's because batteries have such a high retail markup. I remember last year I had to buy little CR2032 button batteries for my dog's invisible fence collars. At Wal-mart they were sold in a 3 pack by Duracell for $5.87. I went online and found a bulk pack of 100 for... get this, less than $10 plus shipping, so under $15 total. All of the batteries were brand new and perfectly charged. Ah, the internet. I am not in any way opposed to a company making a profit, but when you know an item costs $5 to buy and you up the price by 10 times, well then you should be riding the high seas with an eye patch!

#8 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

Lithium batteries are more expensive than most.  I agree that $50 is a little much but the price quoted in that EBay is way under cost.  My guess is that they obtained a bunch of batteries on the cheap and that they are unloading them also on the cheap.  They should be a good deal and I would be surprised if they did not work fine in a JTV.  The JTV battery life is pretty good but I would like to have a spare.  My old 500 battery life isn't all that good and I always keep a spare battery pack charged up and ready to go.  I use 2500mAH NIMH rechargables in that.

#9 ozbadman

ozbadman

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:54 PM

snhirsch and Charlie_Watt are correct.

BTW, in my quest to be frugal, I began wondering where to get some backup batteries cheaper than $50 each. This one looks suspiciously like the Line 6 version. Almost identical specs, shape etc. 

http://goo.gl/lUTLkF

I am sure they did not pay to design a proprietary battery for their guitars. Probably just found a reliable source in China, and built the guitar around it. At the price of the one linked above, I should just get it and see if it fits. No much downside if the electrical specs are correct.

Not identical, but the voltage and mAh looks good, but there appears to be a difference in the packaging in the back. Not sure if it would fit a JTV or not. Plus, one would want to test the connections before plugging it in to anything.

#10 snhirsch

snhirsch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

Not identical, but the voltage and mAh looks good, but there appears to be a difference in the packaging in the back. Not sure if it would fit a JTV or not. Plus, one would want to test the connections before plugging it in to anything.

The ones on eBay have a slightly higher current rating, although I doubt that will amount to noticeably longer run time.  One bit of caveat emptor: Lithium battery packs with manufacturing defects have started fires in a number of major brand laptop computers, so it's probably smart not to leave one unattended in the charger - at least not for the first few cycles. 

And, yes, the markup on batteries is enormous.  I'd be surprised if Line6 was paying more than $8-10 in quantity for their branded batteries.  The only item I can think of with higher markups would be an HDMI cable at a big-box store.

QSC K10 FRFR

#11 Geekydaddy

Geekydaddy

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSarnia, Ontario

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

That is not the same battery.

The  specs may be close but the under carriage is slightly different...not sure that it would "slide in".

#12 spmartin

spmartin

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

Geekydaddy,

You're right that the undercarriage is different, but I do not see anything on the charger that would prevent it sliding in. I may have to bite the bullet and experiment with one!!

#13 sdunmire

sdunmire

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:20 PM

I wouldn't.  Sure, it *might* work, but it might not.  And the "not" might cause issues with a thousand dollar guitar.  Not to put too fine a point on it, but  you're going to feel pretty sheepish if the unthinkable happens.  (and there would certainly be ethical issues raised by attempting to engage warranty service on your JTV after such an action.

There are also considerations other than voltage, current and chemistry.  Lots of cell phones have chips in the battery cells that the device needs to "see" in order to start drawing power from the battery.  I don't see this as being likely, it's just more my way of saying that I wouldn't bother.

That being said, I would make sure the voltage is a match and chemistry is a match and the battery is capable of the same or higher current draw.  Also, don't forget to buy a charger...

S.

#14 ozbadman

ozbadman

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:40 PM

That being said, I would make sure the voltage is a match and chemistry is a match and the battery is capable of the same or higher current draw.  Also, don't forget to buy a charger...

S.

I've checked the voltage. They're both 7.4. The current draw is not really relevant for batteries. The mAh is similar so it will be fine.

That being said, I wouldn't try it without checking the electrical connections are the same on both. But it is plausible that this may work.

#15 sdunmire

sdunmire

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:50 PM

The other thing I failed to mention is there is a pretty wide range of quality standards for rechargeable battery cells.  Most higher-grade electronics ship with Japanese made cells, while lower-priced products ship with the far cheaper Chinese-made cells.  It would be a bit of an unfair generalization to say that Chinese cells are the ones that cause fires, but I wouldn't be the first to make this correlation.  

(Disclosure:  I buy rechargeable batteries buy the hundreds of thousands every month in my line of work)

S.

#16 snhirsch

snhirsch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:09 AM

The other thing I failed to mention is there is a pretty wide range of quality standards for rechargeable battery cells.  Most higher-grade electronics ship with Japanese made cells, while lower-priced products ship with the far cheaper Chinese-made cells.  It would be a bit of an unfair generalization to say that Chinese cells are the ones that cause fires, but I wouldn't be the first to make this correlation.  

(Disclosure:  I buy rechargeable batteries buy the hundreds of thousands every month in my line of work)

S.

That's why I posted the warning advising folks not to go out for a long lunch during the first few charge cycles :-).  The energy density in an LI battery is fairly high and that can easily translate into pyrotechnics.  My sense is that a catastrophic failure would be more likely to appear earlier in the battery lifetime than later.  Is that your experience?

QSC K10 FRFR

#17 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:01 AM

I would try it if I had one (very carefully).  It's only a battery - same voltage looks like same connections on the end.  If it mates up it will work.  If not, I would rig it up to work in my old 500 instead of my 6 cell NIMH pack.  (It would get same run time as my 6 cell NIMH pack which is also 2500mAH and approximately 7.2V)  By the way, most of these are made in China anyway now.

#18 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14828 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:08 AM

I do know, from a ways back that the original intent was to use a common sony camcorder battery.

I understand that there may have been licensing reasons that prevented this, or other business reasons...

I'm not sure what exactly they changed, or what they moved to to alleviate whatever the specific reasons were...

but it would not surprise me if the ebay battery is a possibility.

the risk is minimal as long as it fits... IMO*

(*DISCLAIMER: my opinion is only my opinion... any actions  taken on your part are at your own risk)

#19 spmartin

spmartin

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

Or, we could encourage Line 6 to drop the price so they make just a reasonable markup. They could price them at $20 and still make a profit. I hate companies that nickel and dime you to death after you've purchased their product!

#20 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

You are far more likely to find an alternate source than to have Line 6 drop the battery price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users