Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Presets For The 4 Line Ins

Hi,

Just got my stagescape and I think I am a little confused. It seems that many of the presets cannot be assigned to channels 13-16.  So if I happen to use a wireless mic for vocals and want to put that into channel 16 I am VERY VERY limited in the presets that I can use for those channels. Very limited channel modulation combinations. etc...basically the three band EQ, Hi pass filter and compressor.

Am I missing something?

Also, on my unit, when the mute channels button is not engaged, it does not show any color where the mute all does have a faint glow. Is this normal?

Lastly, is there does not appear to be any way to play the tracks I recorded back thru the mixer so I can use it to mix down the show. Is this correct?

Very cool device that is replacing another piece I have just do to its size etc...this is just a guy trying to optimize his world

Dave

• Upvote 1

Hi,

Just got my stagescape and I think I am a little confused. It seems that many of the presets cannot be assigned to channels 13-16. So if I happen to use a wireless mic for vocals and want to put that into channel 16 I am VERY VERY limited in the presets that I can use for those channels. Very limited channel modulation combinations. etc...basically the three band EQ, Hi pass filter and compressor.

Am I missing something?

Also, on my unit, when the mute channels button is not engaged, it does not show any color where the mute all does have a faint glow. Is this normal?

Lastly, is there does not appear to be any way to play the tracks I recorded back thru the mixer so I can use it to mix down the show. Is this correct?

Very cool device that is replacing another piece I have just do to its size etc...this is just a guy trying to optimize his world

Dave

I have not used inputs 13-16 so I will check. But surprised that presets cannot be assigned.

I do have the light on the mute button as you do. In fact, sometimes from a distance, and angle, I think the mute all is on.....or off. But the channel one appears darker and easier to see the state of the button.

There is a way to play back the recorded tracks. Not at my board right now, but push the "record" hardware button on the left, and then I believe it is in there. I have done it, but cannot recall.

I will update tomorrow if no one else has responded.

I regularly use inputs 13/14 and also 15/16 as stereo pairs for a couple of my POD HD devices. I can assign presets to these inputs; specifically, I assign the HD500 preset and connect the Pod HD's audio outputs, with the Pod set to Studio mode. Works fine.

Edit: Looking into this a bit more, I see that you can only use presets that are identified as Line inputs with physical inputs 13-16. Not all presets are compatible; only those with the Line Input icon in the top right corner of the preset icon are compatible.

Edited by silverhead
Updated info

thanks for the record playback tip. Love community forums.

Yes, so Line 6, it is a bit wierd that a company that makes so many wireless devices would take the 4 channels which would best fit that output of those devices and allow a full 16 channels of musicians and make the limited. 

Still a nice tool for the money....(some might say a tool for a tool, but you all don't know me that well)

Dave

I was actually coming to the forums just now for this specific reason of not having all presets for the 4 line in's. I noticed this when I plugged in a guitar to input 13 and was not able to find a preset chain that had a noise gate and feedback suppression. lo and behold I found MOST of the presets are not available for the 3 line in's.

Why in the world are the 4 line in's not able to have the full spectrum of presets as the other 12 channels do?
Is it a hardware issue because for all I know XLR and Line In (TRS cables) are pretty much the exact same when it comes to the type of signal they carry sans having phantom power.
And could this be fixed with a simple software/firmware update?

Do inputs 13 to 16 have mic pre amps - or are they just suitable for line ins?

If there are no mic pre amps, I guess that would explain some differences.

hmmm that's a good point I guess. I do see in a product description on Sweetwater.com though not here on Line 6's website that the 12 mic inputs have "mic preamps" but for the line in's it does not describe them as having preamps.

I guess that could be a reason for the lack of preset options but I still don't see the complete reason as to what not having preamps (if that is so) in 13-16 has to do with not being able to have the full amount of DSP as the 12 mic/line in input jacks.

Yes, the fact that there are no MIC pre's on those channels should proclude the need for things like Phantom Power, but the full processing spectrum should be there. I love the mixer, don't get me wrong. But this was a little misleading on Line 6's part. Maybe it is the limits of the internal processor, but when I looked at it, I thought they only did these 4 channels as TRS just for size.

But in the end, most of these addtional features are for show at best, but nice if I could use the dynamic eq on those 4 channels. THat is a COOL effect that would great on vocals which I usally have as wireless mics and thought that was perfect use for those four channels and made it a 16 musician input desk.

Dave

• Upvote 1

Yes, the fact that there are no MIC pre's on those channels should proclude the need for things like Phantom Power, but the full processing spectrum should be there. I love the mixer, don't get me wrong. But this was a little misleading on Line 6's part. Maybe it is the limits of the internal processor, but when I looked at it, I thought they only did these 4 channels as TRS just for size.

But in the end, most of these addtional features are for show at best, but nice if I could use the dynamic eq on those 4 channels. THat is a COOL effect that would great on vocals which I usally have as wireless mics and thought that was perfect use for those four channels and made it a 16 musician input desk.

Dave

I agree with Dave, if they do not have preamps in 13-16 then that in itself was misleading. (Unless I am missing somewhere in the description/specifications where it does say only 1-12 have preamps)

I agree with him also on the question as to what not having "mic preamps" has to do with not being given the full spectrum of "effects/processing" available to inputs 1-12. They seem to be to separate issues that aren't connected in my humble opinion.

Still, even if not having preamps is the reason for the lack of presets/effects for 12-16 it was at best misleading for them to make it sound like all 16 inputs were, on the software side of things, the same. sans phantom power of course.

Though of course not XLR compatible those 4 TRS channels should have the same "essential" effects/processing such as eq, feedback suppression, noise gates, etc.

While not wishing to sound harsh... I don't think Line 6 can be criticised if customers don't read the specifications.

We are getting a little away from one of the topics. We are trying to find out why there are very limited presets on channels 13-16 as duselton asked.

An explanation by simply saying why Line 6 should not be criticized is begging the question and not helping answer the question.

Just got my stagescape and I think I am a little confused. It seems that many of the presets cannot be assigned to channels 13-16.  So if I happen to use a wireless mic for vocals and want to put that into channel 16 I am VERY VERY limited in the presets that I can use for those channels. Very limited channel modulation combinations. etc...basically the three band EQ, Hi pass filter and compressor.

Answer questions such as:

Do 13-16 have preamps or not?

Why does not having preamps limit the software side of channels 13-16

from having the full spectrum of important effects like feedback suppression, noise gate, eq?

If it is because of not having preamps, why?

If not and they just were not given the full spectrum of effects, then also why, and can this be fixed with a simple firmware update?

Things duselton asked.

Yes, the fact that there are no MIC pre's on those channels should preclude the need for things like Phantom Power, but the full processing spectrum should be there. I love the mixer, don't get me wrong. But this was a little misleading on Line 6's part. Maybe it is the limits of the internal processor, but when I looked at it, I thought they only did these 4 channels as TRS just for size.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

copied from specs information from this site:

• 20 inputs: 18 analog and 2 digital
  • 12 high-performance, digitally controlled, auto-sensing mic/line inputs
  • 4 additional auto-sensing balanced line inputs

dont think its misleading.

Also, I do not see here a confirmation as to whether the 4 additional line inputs have preamps since in this description the 12 are shown to also have the ability to be line inputs.

If the description said "12 inputs WITH preamps and 4 additional non-preamped inputs" then I would be convinced of that part but would still then wonder what I think is now at the front regarding this issue.

What would not having preamps have to do with not getting the full spectrum of effects, many that would seem to still be very useful on channels 13-16?

I don't believe I was getting away from the topic.  To explain...

It is clear from the spec that only 12 inputs are for mics.  Thus, only 12 inputs will have mic preamps.  Thus, only those 12 inputs will require the processing / presets that are necessary / desirable for mics.  For example, if the user is using a line input for a keyboard, why would they need FBS on that channel?  I've never had a synthesiser feedback.  Problematic feedback is most common in items such as microphones or acoustic guitars.  If you imagine taking a line out from a guitar amp - and plugging it into channel 14, you probably wouldn't want to suppress feedback (you may actually want some feedback).

People are trying to help - by providing answers to the various questions.  Stating that... 'An explanation by simply saying why Line 6 should not be criticized is begging the question and not helping answer the question.' is incorrect and a bit disappointing.

You ask whether this can 'be fixed with a simple firmware update'.  It's not really a question of trying to fix something that is deficient or needs repair.  The product appears to be delivering in accordance with the specification in this instance. If you're asking whether Line 6 can add some new functionality (that was not included in the specification) that's a different question.

To me, someone who is buying a mixer for $2000 most likely knows what line inputs are vs mic inputs.  This is a pretty sophisticated mixer and it's understandable that people might have higher expectations just because it does so much to begin with.  I also recognize that there are a lot of unique scenarios that performers and sound engineers can find themselves in.  That said, the mixer still has what is says it has, 12 mic inputs and 4 line inputs.  If you're trying to run 16 live mics with this mixer you might not have the right tool for the job, because you bought a mixer that has 12 mic inputs.  That doesn't mean there are no possible solutions for your personal situation, but it might take some re-alignment of how you are plugging things in and maybe some adaptors to compensate for the input types. 

Hi, Dave again,

I do NOT think Line 6 misled me regarding if the channels 13-16 had mic preamps. That was very clear that it did not. But it is unclear to me why, and there was no mention of the fact that line inputs 13-16 would  crippled as far as signal processing.

When I was comparing this to my existing mixer (no names here), there were ups and downs to the two approaches. But my existing mixer had 16 mic inputs and I use all 16. But my thinking was, hey two us use wireless mics, the bass and keys outputs do not need mic pre's so I should be able to get by for this aspect of the comparison. It does not say anywhere that these four have limited processing and all these cool preset could not be applied to this inputs. So I do feel a bit misled in this aspect.

Overall, this is a VERY impressive mixer and I am happy with selection and looking forward to showing to a club owner this weekend whom I feel will really like this. But at the same time, I urge Line 6 to consider a firmware update to this item to extend full channel processing to these inputs. Again, especially since you sell a full line of wireless goods which abstract the need for a mic pre.

Thanks all for the input and this is a great dialouge.

Items that are a clear winner over my existing digial mixer

- Digial Inputs is so much nicer. Hate being out in front with ipad and need to adjust the input level and have to go all the way back to the desk to do it. This is MUCH more handy when using ipad tools

- Easy UI but pluses and minuses to the usability but overall, I give the edge to the line 6

- Love being able to record without a laptop

- Love the size

Things that could use improvement (beyond the line inputs)

- Seperate iPHONE app for JUST dedicated monitor mixs. (love my current mixer where I can lock a mobile handheld to ONLY changes allowed for their monitor mix)

- Would have been SUPER sweet to have MIDI for control interfacing and coordinated shows, but too late for that now

- If the inputs connects could have been rotated, this would be very cool for bar owners who want to mount it to the wall, but NOT expose the inputs to the bands. Nice when you can use a snake instead and let the bands break that low cost piece as opposed to trashing the inputs of expensive mixer.... :-)

Thanks again all for the great conversation !!!

Hi Dave

You raise some interesting points in your comparison with your other mixer.  Can I ask which mixer it is?  (I'm still trying to decide on which mixer to buy... and the m20d is one of the contenders, so comparison info. is very interesting).

Glad you're enjoying the m20d (and just for the record, I didn't think you were implying the company misled you regarding mic preamps.  I believe it was another contributor who made a claim along the lines of:  'if they do not have preamps in 13-16 then that in itself was misleading'.... however, I'm sure they didn't mean any malice towards Line 6 :) ).

Hi, Dave again,

I do NOT think Line 6 misled me regarding if the channels 13-16 had mic preamps. That was very clear that it did not. But it is unclear to me why, and there was no mention of the fact that line inputs 13-16 would  crippled as far as signal processing.

When I was comparing this to my existing mixer (no names here), there were ups and downs to the two approaches. But my existing mixer had 16 mic inputs and I use all 16. But my thinking was, hey two us use wireless mics, the bass and keys outputs do not need mic pre's so I should be able to get by for this aspect of the comparison. It does not say anywhere that these four have limited processing and all these cool preset could not be applied to this inputs. So I do feel a bit misled in this aspect.

Overall, this is a VERY impressive mixer and I am happy with selection and looking forward to showing to a club owner this weekend whom I feel will really like this. But at the same time, I urge Line 6 to consider a firmware update to this item to extend full channel processing to these inputs. Again, especially since you sell a full line of wireless goods which abstract the need for a mic pre.

I don't think I have to defend myself as being a fanboy for line 6. I just don't like having answers given that do not contribute to solving a problem but instead just say "line 6 has done nothing wrong".

no one is trying to "hurt Line 6's feelings" as this device is absoultely amazing and changed the whole way I do mixing.

I am personally an owner of the Dream Stage with the M20D, 2 L3m's, and 2 L3's all linked with L6 link.

Just like Dave, I am continually amazed as to how simple mixing, effects, reverb, etc. have become with this smart mixing ecosystem.

I do, just like I'm sure Dave still does...

It does not say anywhere that these four have limited processing and all these cool preset could not be applied to this inputs. So I do feel a bit misled in this aspect.

But at the same time, I urge Line 6 to consider a firmware update to this item to extend full channel processing to these inputs. Again, especially since you sell a full line of wireless goods which abstract the need for a mic pre.

wonder as to what not having mic preamps for 13-16 has to do with not having the same presets available to the 1-12 mic inputs.

In my current situation we have the band plugged into all 12 mic slots with 2 wireless mics plugged into the 13 and 14 inputs.

The problem is that I would like to simply turn on a noise gate and FBS for those wireless mics and I don't see what hardware issue actually would prevent these channels from having those features.

I did not mean any harsh words towards Line 6 or anyone on this forum thread of course lol

I also made the switch from what sounds like the same "nameless" mixer. And I agree with what would be nice, and I believe not too "out there" ideas that duselton mentions. I am also very happy with my switch. And I don't need all of my inputs so I have not noticed any shortcomings with inputs 13-16. What I do miss is a dedicated monitor mix app. The band does ok, but on occasion have adjusted the other guys mix. And, would be better if it worked from an iPhone.

Anyway, this is a "line in" topic. Sorry.

• Upvote 1

HI GracefulGideon

It’s simple… you did accuse Line 6 of doing something wrong.  Check out the following statement:

‘… if they do not have preamps in 13-16 then that in itself was misleading.’

In reality, it’s the above statement that is misleading.  See jeanpicasso’s comment for the reason why the statement is misleading.  I was merely correcting the point…. purely because incorrect comments do a disservice to Line 6 – and can also confuse potential customers that visit this thread.  That’s all I was trying to do.  For the record, if it had been me that made inaccurate comments, I would have acknowledged my mistake and may also have corrected the relevant post.

I’m extremely grateful for the help and advice that I get from people on various forums – including this forum - but I also understand that none of the participants owe me answers to my questions – so I try to be polite in how I make requests... and I expect similar from other users.  Hence, I would never use words like ‘Answer questions such as:’

No problem... just explaining.  Hope you're getting great results from your Line6 PA.

linesixy,

I hardly think pointing out that Line 6 does not mention that 13-16 do not have preamps is an accusation or attack.
I love Line 6 and I'm sure they are an innovative enough of a company to appreciate constructive criticism.

But per jeanpicasso's comment 

copied from specs information from this site:

• 20 inputs: 18 analog and 2 digital
  • 12 high-performance, digitally controlled, auto-sensing mic/line inputs
  • 4 additional auto-sensing balanced line inputs

I'm not attacking, but that information just does not say anything about the "4 additional auto-sensing balanced line inputs"
not having preamps on the hardware side let alone being anything lesser from the 12 mic/line inputs on the software side.

If Line 6 made the 13-16 inputs lesser hardware-wise (which they did) it should say so in the print.
If this information is expected to be known since line in's don't need preamps that is still not good to just "assume"
the end user knows that because jacks 1-12 can also be line in since they are combo jacks yet have preamps.

I found online a review that says such at http://en.audiofanzine.com/digital-mixer/line-6/stagescape-m20d/user_reviews/r.108117.html about there only being 12 mic pres.

But that is not an official printed spec from Line 6, it would be nice if they themselves explained that the 4 inputs do not have pres on their website.

As far as having effects is concerned, here http://line6.com/stagescape-m20d/features#autosensinginputsandoutputs they state
that there are "Professional Suite of Dynamics, EQ and FX on Every Channel" yet this is not so unless
it is once again implied that only the first 12 channels have full access to the whole spectrum of effects.

If you think I'm attacking I'm sorry it seemed that way as I'm sure you are a fine and nice human being.
But how does one point out a potential problem without taking a risk of maybe being wrong or it not being a problem at all.
Please accept my apology linesixy as I do not wish to have any hard feelings between us both.

-----------------------------------------------

Nevertheless, we still do not have a professional explanation as to why not having mic pres in 13-16 would have
anything to do with their ability to use the full spectrum of effects on the software side such as FBS, noise gates, eq, etc.

Besides not having mic pres, XLR plug in capability, and phantom power, I see nothing hardware-wise that should
prevent 13-16 from having the same full suite of effects as 1-12.

The only explanation we've obtained so far is that since they are line in and not mics why would we need to clutter the chain with effects that will not be needed anyway.
(such as having the ability to add a noise gate or FBS to a synthesizer which obviously should not experience feedback or noise issues")

But as we've seen from previous posts this is not a good enough explanation. As people who have filled up their
12 "full effect inputs" have no choice but to use any other mics or miced instruments they have on the
remaining 4 line in jacks with considerably less effect processing abilities.

IMHO, what would hurt with allowing this.
Leave it to the user to determine whether they want to add a noise gate to an instrument instead of altogether limiting the options.

In the same way that the DSP chain is not fully customizable at this current firmware iteration I feel this is another drawback that could (easily) in my opinion
allow the musician/sound crew to put whatever DSP they want
on whatever channel they want in whatever order they want

I will let this question float for 24 hours while we give Line 6 an opportunity to express is doing comparison using brand and model names is good ediqute. I personally feel that it is not, but the general community feels it would useful, I am willing to offer my personal comparison between the Stagescape and the two main compeititors in my mind. I own one and use the other when I help a friend by mixing his band.

• Upvote 1

I will let this question float for 24 hours while we give Line 6 an opportunity to express is doing comparison using brand and model names is good ediqute. I personally feel that it is not, but the general community feels it would useful, I am willing to offer my personal comparison between the Stagescape and the two main compeititors in my mind. I own one and use the other when I help a friend by mixing his band.

Feel free to offer your product comparisons here, and feel free to state your opinion about those comparisons, even if it is not favourable to Line 6. I can assure you that Line 6 welcomes feedback of this sort. If it's favourable, of course they love it. If it's not, it gives them clear and valuable direction on a market challenge they face.

Dave, I seem to recall seeing other comparisons of various manufacturers' products on this forum.  So I'd be surprised if there'd be any objection from Line 6 if you express your opinion on the relative merits of various products - based on your assessment of how the products meet your specific requirements.  That said... of course I can't speak for Line 6.

Since the total amount of DSP power is limited to a fixed amount it is a question of how to distribute the available DSP power. Compared to the standard processing- High Pass- Gate- Compressor- 4 band EQ we have added some power to the microphon input channels (1-12) by having- High Pass-12 band FBS- Gate- Compressor- Dynamic EQ1- Dynamic EQ2- Compressor- 6 Band EQ- Limiter and other configurations like High Pass- Multiband Compressor- 6 Band EQ- Limiter etc.

The line inputs are intended to be line level inputs. The configurations High Pass- Compressor- 3 Band EQ or High Pass- 6 Band EQ are assuming a line input like a keyboard where a noise gate would be unlikely to be used. Of course the inputs 13-16 can still be used with most microphones.

• Upvote 2

Since the total amount of DSP power is limited to a fixed amount it is a question of how to distribute the available DSP power. Compared to the standard processing- High Pass- Gate- Compressor- 4 band EQ we have added some power to the microphon input channels (1-12) by having- High Pass-12 band FBS- Gate- Compressor- Dynamic EQ1- Dynamic EQ2- Compressor- 6 Band EQ- Limiter and other configurations like High Pass- Multiband Compressor- 6 Band EQ- Limiter etc.

The line inputs are intended to be line level inputs. The configurations High Pass- Compressor- 3 Band EQ or High Pass- 6 Band EQ are assuming a line input like a keyboard where a noise gate would be unlikely to be used. Of course the inputs 13-16 can still be used with most microphones.

Hmm very interesting. So judging by what you're saying, the fixed DSP power of the StageScape

as a whole is not enough to have inputs 13-16 get the same effect suite as inputs 1-12?

If that is the reason it would be a hardware issue not fixable by a simple firmware update. Bummer...

Of course, it's not like this would be some huge end all deal breaker or ANYWHERE close to destroying all the good things that have come out

of this mixer and how much equipment of ours it has replaced.  :lol: 

We are very much enjoying our squeaky clean desk that used to be cluttered by a spiderweb of wires, towers, cd players, recording equipment, etc.

But it does seem odd to have this predicament with all the R&D that this product must have went through.

If they can still be used with microphones, mic'd amps, or anything for that matter that simply just uses a 1/4 jack instead of an XLR

why would it be assumed that something as simple as a noise gate or FBS could not be included in the processing chain?

Currently we have 2 microphones plugged into 13 and 14 and they have the normal fuzz that can be heard through the speakers.

Of course while someone is speaking the fuzz is not that noticeable, but when they are silent it is a slight annoyance and

distraction to hear this fuzz and feedback from the bleed of the speakers back into the mic.

It would be nice to have a noise gate to eliminate this and even FBS to help when mics are used in these 4 inputs.

Of course we don't have problems with this fuzz/FB for anything plugged into 1-12 since they have those 2 DSP effects available to them.

I understand that it is unlikely that something that really is line in would need such effects

but that still leaves the possibility for it to sometimes be needed.

In the same way that not every device plugged into 1-12 needs effects such as

EQ or Compressor but still has the option to use them, shouldn't this same philosophy be used for inputs 13-16.

Does the StageScape really not have any DSP flexability available to add even just two very prized effects (noise gate and FBS) for simply 4 more inputs?

Thanks for the info ArneLine6!  :)

Does anyone else have explanations/quesitons for this discussion or is the explanation/answer by Arnie where we leave it?

It seems the M20D just can't have effects added to lines 13-16 even if they wanted to
due to a hardware issue of not having enough DSP power to apply more effects to the DSP chain of those channels.

Or if it is a possiblity do we need to just wait for the next firmware update for this possible change to occur?

Even if this is where the discussion ends I am still very glad to not be the only one
who has noticed this difference between channels 1-12 and 13-16.

I would also like to see more preset options for the line inputs, such as the bass direct and pod direct presets. These are typically 1/4 inch inputs, and I would find it very useful to be able to use the line inputs for them.

Thanks for your consideration!

Jess