Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help!

cw0401

I'm very frustrated at the moment.  

I have the Dream Rig with the JTV59, HD500 and DT25 and I love it but want to use some Overdrive Pedals I have with it and am having a big problem with a high pitched whine which sounds like a cross between a hairdryer and the sounds you hear in your ears when you get an audio test done on your hearing.  This happens at varying volume depending on how much level and gain you use on the OD pedals and when they're switched on.

I want to use the Super Signa Drive, Joyo Ultimate Drive and Joyo Sweet Baby.

So far I've tried using the FX Loop and running the pedals before the POD HD via normal cable instead of the VDI.

I've tried different cables and patches, made sure there's no interaction with power cables and tried each pedal either singlely or in different combos.    I've noticed that when I turn the drive knob on the DT25 right off, the noise disappears but then you get low volume and no crunch.   I've tried all the different voicings on the DT25 and it certainly changes the noise but is still there at different volumes.   I have also tried changing the Line/Stomp switch and just about every other setting I can think of.

I really don't think its the OD pedals as they work fine without the pod and just direct to the DT25 although the volume is way down.

There is no annoying noise or problems when it is just the Dream Rig without the extra pedals even when on heavier distorted sounds.

My next step was to perhaps try and change impedance input levels.   I also have replacement valves for the DT25 and will see if that makes a difference.      I'm not sure if I've tried it but I'll also have the OD Pedals in the FX Loop or in front of the pod but this time go from the POD to Amp via 1/4 mono instead of L6 Link.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Regards

CW

Okay,  I've tried to change the impedance and nothing changes.     I changed to using the OD pedals in the effects loop and taking out the L6 Link and going via the 1/4 mono left jack to the DT25 and the problem disappears.  Though that's pleasing it also sucked out most of the volume and you have to turn the DT up to 3/4 volume to be able to get any decent level from it.  Then tried OD pedal infront of POD via normal cable and not VDI and same occured.  No noise but low volume.

BTW I only used the Super Signa Comp pedal to do this.

Regards

Try this,

Plug guitar into pedals and pedals into the guitar in on the amp. Go from the Amps FX out to the HD 500 FX return and HD500 master out to the receive on the Amp. I think using pedals into the amp is better than into the HD. 

As per above advices, the guitar pickups can get microphonic with lots of high gain structure in your chain even at low volumes. Not sure about the link connection or L6 guitars.

Edit I noticed your second post and looks like you tried the above somewhat.

One other is the pad and line amp level toggles on top of the HD. Not sure if the Link connection effects this or not.

Hi Bj and Toneman,

Thanks for your input.   I am only using the preamp models on the 500 but will try turning the master volume down.

I'll have a crack at the idea of yours Bj and let you know how I go.    I tried the pad and line amp level toggles and it doesn't make any difference.

Thanks heaps!

CW

Interesting.     I tried the OD pedals in the FX Loop and in front of the pod again last night still using the L6 Link to the DT25 but this time turned off all amp simulation and the problem is fixed.....    Although the DT25 without the amp simulations doesn't sound very loud, perhaps I may have found the solution.

How does it sound without the pedal, using the POD HD and then any distortion pedals in it?

I believe that pedals are better in front of the amp preamp and rack FX in the Amps loop.

You could try putting the pedals in the HD loop return and put the guitar in the pedals.

Then you have the receive you can increase if need be.

This means going to the power amp on the amp but as you are using a HD model. Not sure if you

can keep the link going for this.