Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax600 not working

Hi folks, may I ask for some advice please? I've recently bought a second hand Variax 600 to replace my original Variax which I eventually wore out. It was fine for the first couple of weeks but now it's not letting me select any of the models. It plays fine as a normal guitar but pressing the select knob has no effect at all and the light isn't coming on. I've recharged the battery just to make sure that this isn't the problem (it isn't) but I can't work out what is. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, David

Knowing that it's a Variax Standard eliminates one structural problem that sometimes exists with the JTV-59; that's why I asked. Sometimes with the 59 guitar the Model knob is prevented from being fully depressed by contact with the guitar body. But I haven't heard of that issue with the Variax Standard so it must be something else.

You seem certain that it's not the battery. Can you tell us whether or not the green charge-indicator lights on the battery casing confirm that the battery is fully charged? How many green lights do you see? There could be an issue with the battery itself or the battery charger. I suggest the trouble shooting should be aimed at determining whether your issue is your battery/charger (which can be replaced) or whether the guitar has an internal hardware issue and needs servicing.

If it's convenient I would try another (new, fully charged) battery or other power source. If you don't have a spare battery you might be able to find one at a local Line 6 retailer. There is also an external Variax charger kit that uses AC power, and there is the Variax VDI connection that must be used with a Variax-compatible Line 6 multi-FX guitar processor (e.g. POD HD500/Pro or Helix). Again your local retailer should be able to set you up with one of these options.