Photo

Acoustic Sounds Get Worser From Update To Update?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 virtzberg

virtzberg

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:38 PM

Is anybody else thinks like me that the acoustic sounds get worser from update to update?

I had the electric 700 (which I sold) that had a very good acoustic sound, than the JTV (1.9) that had a thinner sound and now 2.0 which is the worst...

Is anybody out there at Line 6?

#2 pugdealer

pugdealer

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:16 AM

That's why I've bee sticking with 1.71...can't like any acoustic sounds on the newer firmwares...haven't tried the 2.0 though, but I will, I always do!

#3 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:01 AM

I think the new acoustics sound great. The old acoustics sound like high quality piezo acoustics (It is litereally piezo of course)

but the new ones sound like actual mic'd up acoustics, and I really like that. It paves way for plugged acoustics to sound like mic'd acoustics.

I can get my 600 to sound kind of like the new acoustics by heavy EQing but it's definitely not as good as the JTV acoustics.

But I guess it's all a matter of opinion. I do think the new acoustics are a bit too rolled off on the high ends. I suggest trying to EQ it a bit and see what type of tone you can get out of that.

For a minute there, I lost myself.

Radiohead_bear-728286%5B1%5D.png 

#4 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1037 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:08 AM

I strongly believe that the 700's latest version had the best acoustics, and the worse are the jtv's 2.0

#5 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14880 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:59 AM

you can revert to any 1.7 firmware update at any time and get all those "700" model sounds you want.

there has never been a forced upgrade.

I disagree with you, but it's all very context dependent... meaning how you set them up and how you use them.

for home recording i still use the variax 700 acoustic which has the old models then some...

i just like the options, but i can certainly appreciate the improvements in the latest JTV firmware.

#6 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5289 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:04 AM

I have been working on recording some fingerstyle acoustic songs with the new acoustic models, and I've got to say, in that context, I really like the new models shine. I don't know if you've ever tried doing that type of stuff with a close-miced acoustic, but it can be somewhat of a pain - trying not to breathe or move too much so the mic doesn't pick it up, getting the mic position just right, ect. But once I added a little EQ and compression in my DAW I was extremely pleased with the results. It sounded as good or better as some of the real recording I've done. I hope to put some samples up here in a little while.

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

#7 guitarno

guitarno

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:22 AM

I have been working on recording some fingerstyle acoustic songs with the new acoustic models, and I've got to say, in that context, I really like the new models shine. I don't know if you've ever tried doing that type of stuff with a close-miced acoustic, but it can be somewhat of a pain - trying not to breathe or move too much so the mic doesn't pick it up, getting the mic position just right, ect. But once I added a little EQ and compression in my DAW I was extremely pleased with the results. It sounded as good or better as some of the real recording I've done. I hope to put some samples up here in a little while.

I guess I have to agree with you. I was playing some fingerstyle stuff in DADGAD with one of the new acoustic models (I forget which one), and I recorded some of it into Logic, just screwing around to do some testing, and I thought it recorded really well and sounded pretty authentic. I am a brand new Variax user though, and I didn't have the older stuff to compare it to, so I can't really say if it's any better or worse than it used to be. I do see a lot of people complaining that it isn't as good now. It would be interesting to hear the difference. I wonder if anyone that thinks it's not as good could post a few "Before and After" clips that we could listen to?

#8 thorneven

thorneven

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Location"Upstate" New York

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:32 AM

"Worser"?  I think they are betterer.  :P

JTV59 cherry sunburst / Vetta 2 / Behringer FCB1010

#9 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

..I wonder if anyone ........................ could post a few "Before and After" clips that we could listen to?..

I found this one on youtube

unfortunately there are some volume differences between the 2 FWs models but you can get approximately an idea

FYI the fw 1.8 acoustic models demoed as "new" in this video are exactly the same you have in the last fw 2.0

the models demoed here as "old" correspond to a fw before the 1.8 and are the same

models of the first generation variaxes

#10 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:38 AM

I am new to my JTV but I have a 500 to compare to.  The Acoustics are far better on my JTV with 2.0.  I am not crazy about the 12 string models but they too are improved over the older stuff.  I am sure that we all agree that there is room for improvement and the more flexibility they give us with Workbench the better.

#11 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5289 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:41 AM

"Worser"?  I think they are betterer.  :P

Are you not aware that I get farty and bloated with a foamy latte?

Time is a train

#12 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1037 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:17 AM

you can revert to any 1.7 firmware update at any time and get all those "700" model sounds you want.

there has never been a forced upgrade.

I disagree with you, but it's all very context dependent... meaning how you set them up and how you use them.

for home recording i still use the variax 700 acoustic which has the old models then some...

i just like the options, but i can certainly appreciate the improvements in the latest JTV firmware.

Really, no reason to do that, I still have my 700 <3 but thanks for mentionig it.

By the way, the 1.7 firmware on jtv sounded much more different than the 700's

#13 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14880 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:19 AM

oh yeah!

:)

Really, no reason to do that, I still have my 700 <3 but thanks for mentionig it.

#14 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

are you sure??

... not so much I would say... ;)

#15 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:05 AM

Remember that JTV's pre-HD modeling was the same as the 300/500/600/700. The piezos are what gave it a different sound.

#16 thorneven

thorneven

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Location"Upstate" New York

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

Are you not aware that I get farty and bloated with a foamy latte?

I am not, but it's hard for me to resist a joke about grammar being that my mother was an English major and god forbid I spoke incorrectly.  But since you asked, do you get fartier and bloatier?  :D

JTV59 cherry sunburst / Vetta 2 / Behringer FCB1010

#17 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1037 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

Remember that JTV's pre-HD modeling was the same as the 300/500/600/700. The piezos are what gave it a different sound.

Woops! That is correct, i forget the sound of the piezos!on my 700 i instaled the graphtec ,that's the reason it sounds much different (&better imo)

#18 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:00 PM

Woops! That is correct, i forget the sound of the piezos!on my 700 i instaled the graphtec ,that's the reason it sounds much different (&better imo)

Yes. The JTV and Ghost system are way higher quality than the stock piezos on the Gen 1 Variax guitars.

The HD update finally kind of shed's the JTV's skin of lingering in the old Variax's technology. Everything is now updated and now you have a completely new guitar from the old Variaxes.

#19 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1037 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:32 AM

Wich make me wonder how will sound the jtv with graph tec...... ;)

#20 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5289 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:44 AM

Wich make me wonder how will sound the jtv with graph tec...... ;)

The 89F comes with a Graph Tech bridge, so it could be a relatively easy question to answer.

Time is a train

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users