Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500x through Amp fx return Jack

Dufrense

Hello,

Total noob here. I have the Pod hd500x (great device!). I have been running it straight into the front of my combo, an Bugera v55, but now I tried connecting it to the amps return jack. Big difference in sound compared to front! However, the amps volume is at its maximum all the time, no volume knobs on the amp works. I thought that the amps Master volume would still work, but it doesn't in this setup, all knobs on the amp are 100% disabled. Is this normal? Can the amp be damaged with this setup? Sure I can adjust the volume with the Pod but going more than a quarter on the master knob almost blows my eardrums.... as I said, I don't know much about these things, but is this normal?

Thanks guys and gals!

Others will come in with more knowledge I'm sure but from my experience with some amps the master volume will still be in the circuit and other not. It won't damage the amp - it's as if the pod volume is now the master volume for the amp. Your pod is using the full power of the power amp, as required.

You might also try playing with the Output mode (under the Setup menu) for different sounds. From section 2*8 of the manual:

Combo Power Amp & Stack Power Amp: For connecting to the power amp of a combo or head amp.

TIP: When using the Combo or Stack options and connecting into a tube amplifier, we also recommend that you choose a Preamp Model from the Amp Model menu (rather than one of the “Full†Amp Models). HD Preamp Models include no power amp emulation, making them typically better suited for this connection. That said, there is no wrong choice! PODs have always been about flexibility... Check out all the possibilities and decide which Models work best for your tone!

I think with the 'pre' amps and full versions, it's just a case of finding which one sounds better. I am also finding that sometimes it sounds better to have the cab modelling switched on, even though I am going through the power section of a valve amp into a real cab and shouldn't really need it. I'm learning that the Pod is all about trying stuff rather than hard and fast rules. 😀

Hello,

Total noob here. I have the Pod hd500x (great device!). I have been running it straight into the front of my combo, an Bugera v55, but now I tried connecting it to the amps return jack. Big difference in sound compared to front! However, the amps volume is at its maximum all the time, no volume knobs on the amp works. I thought that the amps Master volume would still work, but it doesn't in this setup, all knobs on the amp are 100% disabled. Is this normal? Can the amp be damaged with this setup? Sure I can adjust the volume with the Pod but going more than a quarter on the master knob almost blows my eardrums.... as I said, I don't know much about these things, but is this normal?

Thanks guys and gals!

Search this forum for 4CM or 4 cable method.... It'll be more work to set it up patch by patch, but far more flexible.

Alternately, try a dummy output jack plugged in the FX send in the amp - I believe this jack being connected allows for amp volume use, but it probably depends on the amp - from memory, I used the method you describe into a Fender Frontman, and had no amp volume usage. I googled it when I got home from the gig, and read about the dummy FX send jack trick.

• Upvote 1

Hi guys thanks for your input in this thread! Yes the Pod is certainly trial and error to find the perfect sound. I think real clean warm fat sounds are the hardest to dial in. However I just love this pod:) I have tried the dummy send output jack to no success. I will just have to try to live with that :)

Loud warm cleans are possible but you must understand that all the other gainy amp patches will be much louder so channel volumes must be adjusted accordingly.I start with those at around 50% on each patch so I have room and cranke that master output volume up for cleans.Then lower the lead/ gainy patches.

I find it easy also to dial in clean tones, but it's way harder to have them perfected in my opinion. Distorted are easier for me, but that is probably because I am not trying to mimic any special players sound, so I am not that picky when it comes to Distorted tones :)