Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using two IR's in parallel with Helix?

boynigel

i recently purchased 3SigmaAudio's acoustic IR'S and would like to blend two different IR'S within a helix patch.  does anyone know if it's possible to run 2 IR's in parallel?  maybe there's a better/easier way?

3SigmaAudio suggests downloading a 3rd party IR loader (capable of loading two IR's to blend) and opening it in my DAW (protools 10), blending the two IR's within protools then bouncing the blended result into a single IR and then sending to helix.   this worked poorly for me as the IR loader, Ignite Amps' NadIR1 wouldn't show up in my protools plugins, AND caused PT to crash.  this is what got me thinking about my question above.  not going to have access to my helix for a couple of days so i figured i'd ask here in the meantime.  i'm guessing the helix may run out of processing power.  given that the patch is soleley for acoustic simulations, i'd only be running the two IR'S and maybe a reverb and that's it.  maybe this would allow me to squeak by with just enough processing power?   anyone?

I do this all the time with speaker IRs. Load two of them up and move one to a parallel path. I believe you would have use 1024 IRs if staying on one processor. I don't think you can use two 2048 IRs on the same path.

What he said. Pretty much all of my patches run two IRs in parallel. And I recommend splitting your parallel path with an A/B instead of the even split it loads with, as that will allow you to tweak the balance between the two. Have fun!

• Upvote 1

What he said. Pretty much all of my patches run two IRs in parallel. And I recommend splitting your parallel path with an A/B instead of the even split it loads with, as that will allow you to tweak the balance between the two. Have fun!

my plans just got cancelled so i'm sitting here with my helix and sure enough it works, but i think i'm doing something wrong because after summing the two IR blocks to mono, the only option i have for a reverb block is STEREO.  I don't want stereo because if i have one IR blended significantly lower in the mix i'm going to wind up w/more volume on one side, and less on the other.  maybe it's the A/B thing you're talking about.  i'll have to figure out how to do that.

my plans just got cancelled so i'm sitting here with my helix and sure enough it works, but i think i'm doing something wrong because after summing the two IR blocks to mono, the only option i have for a reverb block is STEREO. I don't want stereo because if i have one IR blended significantly lower in the mix i'm going to wind up w/more volume on one side, and less on the other. maybe it's the A/B thing you're talking about. i'll have to figure out how to do that.

I think using a mono eq, gain, or whatever block after the merge of the 2 IRs then reverb after that, you will get even volume. Regardless of individual IR levels.

• Upvote 2

I use MixIR2 to blend IRs. Works like a charm.

Problem loading plug-ins? What kind of system?

I use MixIR2 to blend IRs. Works like a charm.

Problem loading plug-ins? What kind of system?

i used Ignite Amps' NadIR1 mainly because that's what 3Sigma used themselves...although i noticed they were using PC platform whereas i use Mac.  i loaded it per their instructions as a VST.  i'm running ProTools 10 on my macbook pro but when i opened a session and looked for it, it was nowhere to be found among my plugins, AND protools started locking up/crashing on me which is something it never did before.  I also tried loading/installing as an AU, but that also failed.

Ah ok I grew up with PCs so I can't help you there. I used to run two IRs in parallel on every preset until I started using MixIR2. I didn't like the fact that there are only two possible parallel paths and one was always taken for IRs.

I could always combine them for you..

Done that, it can be cool, but I didn't end up keeping any of those Frankensteins.

But that's part of what's so cool about a good modeler, you can just try it! IRL, you have to go considerably out of your way to avoid blowing up both amps, not to mention that you'd have to own or have access to any amps you wanted to try it with.

Guess it's a good thing Helix doesn't model the real world interaction of two amps with their speaker outputs connected in parallel to the same cab. Component modeled sparks, blown fuses, and melted output transformers, anyone?

I'm in one of my experimental moods. I don't have any cab IRs as I just haven't had the need for them, but I want to run 2 amp blocks in parallel into one cab sim just to see what it would sound like. :D

I do this with one of my bands' live distortion tones. I actually have the guitar signal frequency split at 500 hz with the high end going into a boost OD and a mesa model and the low end going to a different OD and the Panama then merged back after the amps into a single cab IR. Helps keep my ridiculously low-tuned guitar somewhat articulated.

I do this with one of my bands' live distortion tones. I actually have the guitar signal frequency split at 500 hz with the high end going into a boost OD and a mesa model and the low end going to a different OD and the Panama then merged back after the amps into a single cab IR. Helps keep my ridiculously low-tuned guitar somewhat articulated.

Interesting!! Thanks for the tip!