Photo

Phantom Power (1-6 And 7-12 Problem)

Best Answer dboomer , 10 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

There is almost nothing that would be plugged into a mixer anymore that has a problem getting unneeded phantom power.

About the only thing you could find might be old guitar/bass amps that have direct outs or old wireless mic receivers.  In these cases you should consult the manufacturer.  Microphones are not a problem (except very old and expensive ribbon mics, again not normally used in live sound work)

Most mixers in this price range have an all or none approach to phantom powering.  We chose to split it into 2 banks just in case you ind one of those old devices hat might have a problem.  This choice is mainly due to real estate.  If we added single switchs, which is almost never needed, then something else would have to go.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GracefulGideon

GracefulGideon

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

I currently am using all 12 mic jacks but only 1 (specifically jack 11) needs phantom power (a condenser mic).
There is an option to turn on 1-6 or 7-12 for phantom power but if only 11 needs the power could this possibly break/hurt the devices that are plugged into jacks 7,8,9,10, and 12 that do not need the phantom power.

I now digress but it does seem silly to me that there is no option to just individually turn on phantom power for each jack.
If this could be fixed in a firmware update I don't see why individually turning on phantom power would not be more desirable than the current 1-6 and 7-12 options.

#2 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2516 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:23 AM   Best Answer

There is almost nothing that would be plugged into a mixer anymore that has a problem getting unneeded phantom power.

About the only thing you could find might be old guitar/bass amps that have direct outs or old wireless mic receivers.  In these cases you should consult the manufacturer.  Microphones are not a problem (except very old and expensive ribbon mics, again not normally used in live sound work)

Most mixers in this price range have an all or none approach to phantom powering.  We chose to split it into 2 banks just in case you ind one of those old devices hat might have a problem.  This choice is mainly due to real estate.  If we added single switchs, which is almost never needed, then something else would have to go.

#3 linesixy

linesixy

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

As Don says, many mixers have an 'all or nothing switch' for phantom power.  Again, I think it's clear in the documentation that I've read about the m20d... so I don't think Line 6 are to blame here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users