Photo

G50 Power

g50 power supply

Best Answer dboomer , 27 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

The current capability of the power supplies may be different depending where in the world you are. The original DC-1 supply had 350ma in the US but these supplies were intended to be only supplied with G30 systems. The DC-1g supply supplies 500ma.

Highbias ... Is that 400 am exclusively for the Relay or will anything else be hooked up to it? 400ma will be fine for the G50 if it gets it all. Performance of Relay units gets very unpredictable if they don't get the current they need. They will suffer from lots of dropouts.

You have to be careful if you use a 350ma supply because many of them sag under load. That's why I prefer a bit more Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Highbias

Highbias

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

Would a Voodoo Lab Digital power supply (400mA) be enough to power a G50 on my pedalboard ??

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1275 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

Line 6's original DC-1g "wall wart" is rated at 350mA, so Voodoo Lab's Pedal Power Digital would indeed seem to be an excellent choice.

#3 giovannisena

giovannisena

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

Hi guys from Line 6 I´m using a Power All of 9v - 2A to supply my pedals. I intend to add the G50 receiver on the pedalboard as well however I´d like to know which is G50 receiver´s current draw, cause I should make the math of all my pedal´s current draw in order to know if my power supply is enough to supply all my pedals plus the G50 receiver.

Thanks

Best regards

Giovanni Sena

#4 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1275 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:11 PM

...I intend to add the G50 receiver on the pedalboard as well however I´d like to know which is G50 receiver´s current draw...

Line 6's original DC-1g "wall wart" is rated at 350mA...

So a properly smoothed and regulated 350mA of 9 volts DC is what you need, Giovanni.

#5 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2524 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:23 PM   Best Answer

The current capability of the power supplies may be different depending where in the world you are. The original DC-1 supply had 350ma in the US but these supplies were intended to be only supplied with G30 systems. The DC-1g supply supplies 500ma.

Highbias ... Is that 400 am exclusively for the Relay or will anything else be hooked up to it? 400ma will be fine for the G50 if it gets it all. Performance of Relay units gets very unpredictable if they don't get the current they need. They will suffer from lots of dropouts.

You have to be careful if you use a 350ma supply because many of them sag under load. That's why I prefer a bit more

#6 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1275 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

...You have to be careful if you use a 350ma supply because many of them sag under load. That's why I prefer a bit more...

Sorry folks...

I really should have mentioned (as Don's just done) that when I'm "budgeting" my current requirements for these kinds of multi-device rigs, I too generally allow half an amp (500mA) of properly smoothed and regulated 9 volts DC per device. 

#7 mynameistrouble

mynameistrouble

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

Thought I'd piggy-back on this thread rather than start a new one, since I have a similar question.

My DC-1g got severed in a nasty flightcase lid incident, and since then I've been searching for a suitable alternative. I have a Fuel Tank Chameleon, which puts out 300ma per isolated output, but as alluded to above, when I tried to use this to power my G50 I suffered from regular dropouts, including during shows, before I realised what the problem was.

Currently I'm using an entire Sound Lab Pedal Power 450 just to power the G50 receiver, which sits alongside the Fuel Tank that powers the rest of my pedals - this seems a remarkably unweildy arrangement and I'd like to use just the Fuel Tank if possible.

I have just learned of the possibility of 'current doubling' - could anyone from Line6 explain what this is and whether it would be appropriate for my G50? As I understand it, I think I can buy a cable that plugs into two 9v 300ma outputs and gives a combined total of 600ma - is that right? Any help would be much appreciated!

#8 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1275 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

Ah, …well, …er, …um...

…Speaking "technically", parallel-connecting a pair of identical supplies in the "y-cord" way you suggest should indeed yield twice as much current.

However, as a "real world" solution ?

I think that there's a great possibility such an arrangement could easily become a full and fraught fulfilment of your username.  :wacko:

Yes, you could make up (or purchase) a correctly polarised  (centre always to centre, outer always to outer) "y-cord" or "daisy chain" of three coaxial DC connectors ...and yes, two outputs from your Chameleon supply should then provide more than enough current to run the G50 from the third coaxial DC plug on that "chain"...

BUT...

…It would then be absolutely vital to ensure the "roadworthy" clamping, or glueing, or mounting of that messy arrangement, given that it's going to bump around both "on the road" and at your feet.

Ignoring the 4 pin female (notionally its "power input" connector) of a parallel adapter such as this http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00B17L3HK/ might be one such arrangement you could try...

…however, should I be in your situation, I'd always opt for the security of a separate half-amp (500 mA) 9v DC "wall wart" for my G50.

#9 mynameistrouble

mynameistrouble

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

Ah, …well, …er, …um...

…Speaking "technically", parallel-connecting a pair of identical supplies in the "y-cord" way you suggest should indeed yield twice as much current.

However, as a "real world" solution ?

I think that there's a great possibility such an arrangement could easily become a full and fraught fulfilment of your username.  :wacko:

Yes, you could make up (or purchase) a correctly polarised  (centre always to centre, outer always to outer) "y-cord" or "daisy chain" of three coaxial DC connectors ...and yes, two outputs from your Chameleon supply should then provide more than enough current to run the G50 from the third coaxial DC plug on that "chain"...

BUT...

…It would then be absolutely vital to ensure the "roadworthy" clamping, or glueing, or mounting of that messy arrangement, given that it's going to bump around both "on the road" and at your feet.

Ignoring the 4 pin female (notionally its "power input" connector) of a parallel adapter such as this http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00B17L3HK/ might be one such arrangement you could try...

…however, should I be in your situation, I'd always opt for the security of a separate half-amp (500 mA) 9v DC "wall wart" for my G50.

So this appears to be an option - the description says it all, really: http://ampshop.co.nz...ler-power-cable

Made by the same company that makes my power supply - seems to be what I'm looking for. Why is the glueing and/or clamping so vital?

Just so I understand this correctly - is the ma output of a power supply the 'max' current draw, i.e. a pedal that draws 300ma will take that much out of a supply that provides 500ma - the additional 200ma is there if it needs it, but isn't forcing it out into the pedal, if you see what I mean? Just want to be sure that 600ma isn't going to just overpower my receiver.

#10 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1275 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

...a pedal that draws 300ma will take that much out of a supply that provides 500ma - the additional 200ma is there if it needs it, but isn't forcing it out into the pedal...

You've "got it"...

There's simply no way you can have "too much current" available for "dumping into" devices as and when they might need to draw it.

Perhaps the best way to imagine the "current rating" of a power supply might be to "picture it" as defining the width of a main water pipe.

As with a huge water pipe, the bulk, weight and cost make it as nonsensical to run a 15 amp (1,500mA) supply for each of our stompboxes as it would be to run 6 inch fire-fighting pipe all the way to our kitchen's sink.

However, you've already noticed the misbehaviour that occurs when momentary "peak" loads aren't able to "suck" enough current from our power supply, because our "pipe" (300mA supply) is too "narrow", whereby it's literally "throttling off" and "starving" our G50 of current.

Which is why..

...when I'm "budgeting" my current requirements for these kinds of multi-device rigs, I too generally allow half an amp (500mA) of properly smoothed and regulated 9 volts DC per device.

Now...

...Why is the glueing and/or clamping so vital?

It's been our experience that floor-bound touring gear is one of the most common origins of "splats", failures and foul language, something that you've probably also noticed.

Why ?

Mainly because of that hardy pair of "perennials", vibration and dust, ...the latter of which often contains short-circuit-inducing and abrasive metallic particles.

(A "short" in just one of its DC connections can easily "nuke" an entire multi-outlet power supply. Oh yeah, …blue air aplenty then...)  :(  :angry:  :blink:

So I'd only "back" the marvellous convenience of that current-doubler power cable (which, incidentally, is actually both "in stock" and available in other colours from here: http://www.musicwork...ble-green-50cm/)

...IF (and only if)...

...it's first rendered "roadworthy" by being rigorously secured and sealed, as follows:

The most successful (by which I mean reliable) multi-stompbox pedalboard installations that I've seen over the years have often had the physical security of each of their individual devices further ensured by adding double-sided "mirror-mounting foam" tape to whatever retention system is built into their road cases...

...Then all of the pedalboard's "local" or "internal" wiring not only avoids movement-induced fracturing and tangling by being clamped and/or "glued" in place, often using the clear silicone-based "goo" that's normally used for sealing between the tiles in showers, but the DC plugs and sockets are often ALSO secured and sealed from dust by that same silicone-based "goo", …with particular care having been taken to ensure that it's only been applied to the "mating" areas of individual connectors' insulated cases and NOT to any of the metallic contact areas that they're enclosing and protecting.

Aside from being almost invisible, the real beauty of that "goo" and double-sided tape is not only that they are secure, moisture and dust resistant, but also that they can be "peeled" and/or cut off relatively easily, should later modifications and/or servicing be required. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users