Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Shine on you crazy diamond tone set, all for free 😀

CBTL

Wow! Thank you for sharing this information (and for the work in recreating David's sounds for this song)!

I did have one question... For the modulation block that sits on a path that originates before the speaker cab block and returns to the main path after the speaker cab block, is the split ratio 50/50? I was intrigued about the rationale for having some of the output signal bypass the speaker cab block.

Don't get me wrong; what you're generating sounds great! I just hadn't previously considered using that technique. Was there a technical reason for that routing choice (I just want to understand the principle that would lead me down that path). Thanks again!

CBTL has made all of his patches available on Customtone. Just use the search term 'CBTL' and you will find them all. You can download the patch and inspect it to answer your question about the settings.  But the rationale would certainly be worth hearing!

Thanks CBTL for your generosity.

Wow! Thank you for sharing this information (and for the work in recreating David's sounds for this song)!

I did have one question... For the modulation block that sits on a path that originates before the speaker cab block and returns to the main path after the speaker cab block, is the split ratio 50/50? I was intrigued about the rationale for having some of the output signal bypass the speaker cab block.

Don't get me wrong; what you're generating sounds great! I just hadn't previously considered using that technique. Was there a technical reason for that routing choice (I just want to understand the principle that would lead me down that path). Thanks again!

Thanks for your kind words. The split is indeed 50/50. The reason I do it this way is because it's a rotating CAB lol I don't want a cab into another cab, it would colour the true sound of the rotating cabinet. When creating a tone I try abd be as authentic as I can to the original and try and use the emulations of the exact gear used to record the tunes.

Gilmour nearly always splits his signal from his pedals and rack. One split goes to the amps, the other to a rotating cab of some sort depending on the era in question. That way he can blend the exact amount of modulated signal with amped signal that he wants. Some times it's super subtle.

The beauty of helix is that it allows me to do this exact thing and then bring it all back together for delay and reverb. Sometimes I will run the rotary path straight to output. It just depends on the sound I'm trying to copy.

Hope I make sense.

• Upvote 1

CBTL has made all of his patches available on Customtone. Just use the search term 'CBTL' and you will find them all. You can download the patch and inspect it to answer your question about the settings. But the rationale would certainly be worth hearing!

Thanks CBTL for your generosity.

Thanks for giving folks the heads up friend 😀

Thanks for your kind words. The split is indeed 50/50. The reason I do it this way is because it's a rotating CAB lol I don't want a cab into another cab, it would colour the true sound of the rotating cabinet. When creating a tone I try abd be as authentic as I can to the original and try and use the emulations of the exact gear used to record the tunes.

Gilmour nearly always splits his signal from his pedals and rack. One split goes to the amps, the other to a rotating cab of some sort depending on the era in question. That way he can blend the exact amount of modulated signal with amped signal that he wants. Some times it's super subtle.

The beauty of helix is that it allows me to do this exact thing and then bring it all back together for delay and reverb. Sometimes I will run the rotary path straight to output. It just depends on the sound I'm trying to copy.

Hope I make sense.

This makes good sense -- thanks for the explanation! I plan to apply this in some other song contexts. :)

Any idea if and how I can use this without a Variax? Many Thanks.

You have to reassign the input block to 'Multi' or whichever channel you use, and the effects may need a little tweaking to suit your particular guitar, but I just loaded it on mine this morning and it sounds pretty good with my PRS coil tapped. 

To CBTL:  Out of curiosity, why the studio preamp in front of the guitar amps?  I didn't notice a huge difference with or without it, just curious about your reasoning behind them.  Thanks for putting this out there for us!!

• Upvote 1

You have to reassign the input block to 'Multi' or whichever channel you use, and the effects may need a little tweaking to suit your particular guitar, but I just loaded it on mine this morning and it sounds pretty good with my PRS coil tapped.

To CBTL: Out of curiosity, why the studio preamp in front of the guitar amps? I didn't notice a huge difference with or without it, just curious about your reasoning behind them. Thanks for putting this out there for us!!

It was a tip I picked up off here, I can't remember who from. To me it adds a slight tube warmth to the sound. If you needed the DSP you could quite easily take it out. I also do a lot of stuff with an acoustic snapshot in the patch, I always use the tube pre for that!

• Upvote 1

One thing that's happening to me. The Variax setting don't translate and I know this is due to a flaw that is supposed to be corrected in the next update. So watching your video, I eneterd all of the Variax settings. Snapshot 1 is fine but snapshot 2, even though it says in Helix edit and on my guitar the tone is set to 10, it sounds like it's on snapshot 1's setting. I know the tone isn't on 10 since when I move it down and back up to 10 it brightens up. Does anyone know if this is due to the Variax settings transfer protocol that doesn't work? It's very frustrating. I have tried everything and no matter what I do, snapshot 2's Variax tone is definitely lower than where it was saved and where all of the setting say it is. The same is true with snapshot 4.

One thing that's happening to me. The Variax setting don't translate and I know this is due to a flaw that is supposed to be corrected in the next update. So watching your video, I eneterd all of the Variax settings. Snapshot 1 is fine but snapshot 2, even though it says in Helix edit and on my guitar the tone is set to 10, it sounds like it's on snapshot 1's setting. I know the tone isn't on 10 since when I move it down and back up to 10 it brightens up. Does anyone know if this is due to the Variax settings transfer protocol that doesn't work? It's very frustrating. I have tried everything and no matter what I do, snapshot 2's Variax tone is definitely lower than where it was saved and where all of the setting say it is. The same is true with snapshot 4.

Best thing thing you can do in this circumstance is to clear the block controllers for the input block and reset them. So, you need to reset variax model and variax tone to snaps. You can then go through all the snaps and set them to what they should be. Use the video for reference.

The patch was created with 2.11. I find if I use anything that was created on any other firmware I have to follow this process. It's a pain in the arse and hopefully it will be sorted in 2.20, if it ever actually arives.

Best thing thing you can do in this circumstance is to clear the block controllers for the input block and reset them. So, you need to reset variax model and variax tone to snaps. You can then go through all the snaps and set them to what they should be. Use the video for reference.

The patch was created with 2.11. I find if I use anything that was created on any other firmware I have to follow this process. It's a pain in the arse and hopefully it will be sorted in 2.20, if it ever actually arives.

Yeah.I was hoping for a quick fix. And also wondering if this was a common occurrence. It is the end of the month so I'm expecting the update any day now. I think I'll wait until then. Thanks.

To CBTL:  Out of curiosity, why the studio preamp in front of the guitar amps?  I didn't notice a huge difference with or without it, just curious about your reasoning behind them.  Thanks for putting this out there for us!!

Thanks a lot for that.

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

I have a Variax JTV 59 & Helix floor model. I know how to download custom tones into the Helix but what is the process for the Variax with ones like this that are for the Variax as well. I do have Workbench HD for my Varix. I also know how to hook up my Varix to the Helix. Does Workbench & the Variax just recognize the custom assignments because it is hooked up to the Helix? Thanks! 

I think CBTL does a great job of using his ears instead of his eyes or "conventional" wisdom to design presets. He made an excellent preset for the Clapton tune "Let It Rain" a while back. His placement for the harmonizer block was between the amp and the cab and it sounds great there. I have used that placement in some other presets even though I would never have thought to put it there myself as it in no way resembles the typical placement at the beginning of the effects chain you would tend to use with an old school analog pedal board.