Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Helix Tune - Heavy Vetting

phil_m

I recorded this over the last few days, and from the perspective of the Helix, there's a lot going on. The heavier rhythm parts are using the Ubershcall model with the V30 4x12 IR from the Allure pack. The main lead parts are using the Archon Lead model with that same IR. I use the Archon Clean model on the clean parts. The verse section uses the 2204 Mod model. Bass is using one of the factory bass presets just tweaked ever so slightly. Guitars are a Les Paul Standard, Fender Strat Plus, and a Tele with Lollar Vintage T pickups.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the tones on this. It's kind of a departure for me, as I have never used the high gain models that much. I guess I always thought of myself as a pedals and amp type of player, and tend not to use amp gain as much. But I thought these tones turned out much clearer and sit in the mix more nicely than other stuff I've done.

https://soundcloud.com/phil-miller-20/heavy-vetting

• Upvote 3

There's a lot of really nice tones in there that fit together well. I particularly like the stuff going on in the ending. Is that Helix doing all that?

The Archon Clean is great. I've switched my clean tones to this model. It's probably the best one in Helix for what it's supposed to do. Previous to this amp, I was using one of the Fenders, or maybe the Jazz Rivet one.

Does Heavy Vetting have any significance?

There's a lot of really nice tones in there that fit together well. I particularly like the stuff going on in the ending. Is that Helix doing all that?

The stuff at the very end? That's actually a from the Air (M-Audio) VIP synth/keys/etc. plug-in package. It's one of the Rhodes presets and some other motion pad preset... I really didn't even change those presets at all. Musician's Friend had the M-Audio CTRL49 controller a SDOD last month for $200, and I picked it up. It was really incredible deal considering the plug-ins it came with.

Does Heavy Vetting have any significance?

Just a dumb pun that popped into my head while reading the news... I could have used the word "extreme" instead of "heavy", but that's too obvious... :) I also thought of calling it "Heavy Vetting Zoo"...

Awesome, middle section sounds great over head-phones!

Thanks! For whatever reason, I've not used ping pong delay that much, like ever, and I think I should start using it more... :)