Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using amp model- sounds awful! Help!

MuppetLaurance

Sorry, this is copied from a conversation I'm having with a buddy that has my same HD500X, and I'm trying to get his help too. 

I was hoping I could pick your brain for just a short minute. I have a Pod HD500X. Normally, I just use it for fx and run into a Carvin Legacy 3. But, I've had the idea of having another preset with an amp in case my head blows up, or even if it's just a gig that I don't want to bring an amp. However, the tones I'm getting sound terrible. I figured out to change the I/O to studio direct, but still, the tones sound scooped and lifeless. Can you give me any thoughts? Which amp model do you use, and what do you do with the I/O settings?

FYI, I've found the Uber amp to be most like my tone, and for the purposes at home prior to the gig, Im running into a mixer, amp, and into a pair of KRK passive monitors. Have not tried it with our PA yet. Even my wife says "It sounds like you're playing in a tunnel." I've tried different mic models, different cab models, and I think I just suck at this. I'm programming on the board itself, not with my laptop.

Thank you so much! 

Sorry, this is copied from a conversation I'm having with a buddy that has my same HD500X, and I'm trying to get his help too.

I was hoping I could pick your brain for just a short minute. I have a Pod HD500X. Normally, I just use it for fx and run into a Carvin Legacy 3. But, I've had the idea of having another preset with an amp in case my head blows up, or even if it's just a gig that I don't want to bring an amp. However, the tones I'm getting sound terrible. I figured out to change the I/O to studio direct, but still, the tones sound scooped and lifeless. Can you give me any thoughts? Which amp model do you use, and what do you do with the I/O settings?

FYI, I've found the Uber amp to be most like my tone, and for the purposes at home prior to the gig, Im running into a mixer, amp, and into a pair of KRK passive monitors. Have not tried it with our PA yet. Even my wife says "It sounds like you're playing in a tunnel." I've tried different mic models, different cab models, and I think I just suck at this. I'm programming on the board itself, not with my laptop.

Thank you so much!

Moving from an amp to all-modeling is usually not simple...there's a learning curve for pretty much everybody. How are you monitoring the sound? Through your amp, studio monitors, headphones? Each will produce a VERY different tone with the same patch. And the approach you use to set up your patches will be quite different depending on how you're listening. FRFR speakers, studio monitors and headphones all have very different frequency responses, compared to a guitar cabinet.

The other thing to consider is ---

Your amp produces an amp tone (what you normally hear), which a mic then picks up and puts into a pa/recorder (which is something you don't normally hear).

But a modeler does not produce an amp tone, it produces that final after-mic sound.

So true, in the room play thru the amp is hugely different from in the room listening on passive Amp driven KRKs (nice).

But if it sounds like a tunnel then check polarity reversal from the amp to the speakers. If one is wired inverted the sound you get will be like in a tunnel. It is easy in the dark to get these wrong and worth really checking. Hopefully the speaker cables have a coded side to trace all the way from the amp to the inputs on back of the speakers.

It is also possible for cables from the HD to the amp to be inverted as well but less likely if bought ones.