Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help with Acoustic sounds variax 300

Hi, this is all new to me but i bought an old variax 300 off an old m8 so i could get acoustic sound and save taking an extra guitar to gigs. Is it just me or do the acoustic sounds on the 300 sound nothing like an acoustc? They just sound like an electric still.

Hi, this is all new to me but i bought an old variax 300 off an old m8 so i could get acoustic sound and save taking an extra guitar to gigs. Is it just me or do the acoustic sounds on the 300 sound nothing like an acoustc? They just sound like an electric still.

You need an FRFR speaker solution if you want the acoustic models to sound anything approaching authentic. Guitar amps/cabs have a significantly narrower frequency response, insufficient for acoustic guitar. Even a real acoustic plugged into an electric guitar amp is not going to sound like what it is.

But i have seen vids on youtube and they are not useing frfr speakers but they do have the newer variaxs. Could that be the difference?

No. It's physics, which hasn't changed much since the Variax 300 was released. ;)

Videos clips are just shy of useless, as you have no idea what was actually done to record the tone you're hearing. Just because there's a Marshall head and cabinet sitting next to the guy in the video, doesn't mean he's pumping anything through it. What makes an acoustic guitar sound like what it is, is the fact that it produces a much greater range of frequencies than an electric guitar does, period....a range that electric guitar speakers simply cannot produce. You can tinker all day long with presets and EQ, and you'll get nowhere. If the speaker can't produce it, you're not gonna hear it.

Good headphones (emphasis on 'good'), studio monitors, PA speakers and monitor wedges will give you what you're looking for. Or you could shell out big $$ for some of the FRFR guitar cabinets that are being offered now if you have the need for something that looks like a guitar amp....but imho, they're awfully pricey for what you're getting. There are plenty of less expensive options that do the exact same thing.

• Upvote 1

But i have seen vids on youtube and they are not useing frfr speakers but they do have the newer variaxs. Could that be the difference?

Video's can be deceiving - In most cases they are recording the guitar directly to the PC and not using a Microphone on the Amp.