Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Still loving the JTV 59, but...

Pulled out my 74 strat today since I've been playing just the JTV for 8 months or so.  Even with year-old strings it does sound nice.  Seems like more presence and character than the JTV spank models.  So, now motivated to get into workbench and improve what the JTV can do.

( all thru my POD HD500x with similar amps etc )

Some time ago a user posted a bank of Spank models that he had customized in Workbench HD to sound more like the earlier Variax Spank models. He very generously shared them here. I can't recall his username, or locate the thread at the moment, but a search should find it. I downloaded them into my JTV-59 to replace the factory presets and I still use them.

Edit: Just did a quick search and found the thread. Many thanks to mdmayfield.

http://line6.com/support/topic/10186-version-19-sound-alike-strat-bundle-for-version-2x/?findpost=70997

Note that there are two versions of the models in this thread, one in the initial post and another in post #17.

Awesome. Downloaded that workbench zip file.  Thanks.      I really need to spend more time in workbench, but then, I spend a lot of time figuring out the POD 500x  :-)     Lately it's the mic/cabinet combinations that make a big difference.   I like the challenge but can see why some people just want to pick up a low-tech guitar and play.

Latest workbench video I found:   https://youtu.be/_0cqW_rAJqs

Apparently the Helix has a lot more to offer in the way of cab/mic/ IR stuff, but so far I can't justify the extra $1,000

Some time ago a user posted a bank of Spank models that he had customized in Workbench HD to sound more like the earlier Variax Spank models. He very generously shared them here. I can't recall his username, or locate the thread at the moment, but a search should find it. I downloaded them into my JTV-59 to replace the factory presets and I still use them.

Edit: Just did a quick search and found the thread. Many thanks to mdmayfield.

http://line6.com/support/topic/10186-version-19-sound-alike-strat-bundle-for-version-2x/?findpost=70997

Note that there are two versions of the models in this thread, one in the initial post and another in post #17.

Thanks a lot!

Helped me and made me working with WB HD a bit more intensively.

Pulled out my 74 strat today since I've been playing just the JTV for 8 months or so.  Even with year-old strings it does sound nice.  Seems like more presence and character than the JTV spank models.  So, now motivated to get into workbench and improve what the JTV can do.

( all thru my POD HD500x with similar amps etc )

I did the old trick of changing the body to masonite plank.