#1 Devahall

Devahall

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Registered Products:1

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:27 PM

Just ordered a mic preamp and it's on its way.. I want to connect it to my Pod HD Pro X & as far as I know the best way to do this is to connect it to a line level input. However, in the manual it stated that the line input in the Pod HD Pro X is unbalanced. 

Now the real question: Will it deteriorate its sound if I connect my preamp to an unbalanced input? or is it better if I connect my preamp to the mic input and set the mic gain on the pod really low.

Btw here is the chain going to look like: Shure sm7b > Preamp > Pod HD Pro X. 
I really dont want to buy an audio interface since the one in Pod is good enough to connect to my daw. Although, I'll buy one only if I have to  :mellow:

Thanks.

#2 Devahall

Devahall

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:36 AM

Thanks, gotcha. Just want to make sure because the AUX/Line input is unbalanced rather than balanced; so if there is no difference then good for me.  ^_^

#3 bjnette

bjnette

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1198 posts
  • Registered Products:2

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:10 PM

You could also bring the Pre output to one of the returns on the HD FX loop.

This might be less noisy for you. You can use a splitter cable if you want both paths.

#4 pfsmith0

pfsmith0

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:04 AM

From my measurements you can see that plugging a mic preamp into the mic input will work just fine as long as you properly set the mic input trim to the proper value (i.e., don't clip the signal). It can be dialed in to have more gain or less gain than the Aux/Guitar inputs. I think that would be the cleanest and most straight forward way to get the microphone signal chain in. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mic, balance input, balanced to unbalanced, line input, mic input, preamp