Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

AMPLIFi 30 Power Supply Alternatives

PJ03029174

Hi

I'm in the UK and have real trouble with the short power cable wall wart. It's a 9v 3Amp power supply and looks about 2m long. I could really do with a 5m power cable. I'd also prefer a laptop style supply (not wall wart type) has anyone found any good alternatives?

• 8 months later...

I'm interested in using a portable battery pack with a 5v->9v step up transformer. (and, if necessary, a polarity inverter).  Not sure if this is possible yet, but I have powered my GT-001 with the 9v PowerPack from Switchblade audio for over 4.5 hours now with no ill effects (am testing now, and it is still running).

https://www.amazon.com/SwitchBlade-Audio-9-Volt-Guitar-Battery/dp/B01J10TAY6/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512943097&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=Powerpack+switchblade+audio

But I don't think the current draw will be enough for the Amplify 30.  The only 5v->9v step up transformer I've found so far is

https://www.amazon.com/Voltage-Converter-JESSHINY-Power-Transformer/dp/B07219PGSW/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1512943283&sr=8-1&keywords=5v-9v+step+up+transformer , but it has a maximum output amperage of 2A. (one also needs a polarity inverter).  I'm going to try it with my Amplifi 30 when it walks in the door and a battery pack.....  If I smell something burning, I'll report back... :)

I'm sure the 'official' response would be to use nothing other than the supplied Line 6 adapter, lest you risk damage to the unit and voiding any warranty you may have on the amp.

However, as an electronic tech of many years, I would not hesitate to substitute an alternate source of my own choosing, being mindful of the nominal current and voltage specifications of the wall wart, and assuring the correct size and polarity of the Amplifi supply input jack.

My approach would be to use a 12VDC source rated AT LEAST 3A, and run it into a 9V 3A voltage regulator. This would allow the option of using a 12V SLA battery as an alternative to the line-powered 12V wall wart being discussed. This could be handy for outdoor applications, like busking. The voltage regulator could be purchased rather inexpensively or tinkered together from a suitable circuit using inexpensive electronic components purchased online, if you have any rudimentary electronics assembly experience.

In my opinion, the 'step-down/regulate' approach is superior to the step-up 5V to 9V strategy discussed in one of the earlier posts. I use the latter to replace the 6AA batteries in my Variax with great results, enabling me to power it from a 5V 2200ma power bank, but the current requirements of a power amplifier make it an unsuitable solution for this application.

Just as a point of discussion, I'd go as far as to postulate that the Amplifi could easily tolerate the modest overvoltage of 12V on its 9V power input. Generally, the first important circuit component incoming voltage 'sees' is a voltage regulator, and these are normally specified with adequate 'headroom' so that fluctuations in the supply voltage don't cause problems.

Please note, however, I don't have a schematic diagram, and therefore do not have specific knowledge whether or not this is an accurate guess. Safety sez: stick with a clean 9V supply with the proper polarity and adequate current, and you'll do just fine...

I'm sure the 'official' response would be to use nothing other than the supplied Line 6 adapter, lest you risk damage to the unit and voiding any warranty you may have on the amp.

However, as an electronic tech of many years, I would not hesitate to substitute an alternate source of my own choosing, being mindful of the nominal current and voltage specifications of the wall wart, and assuring the correct size and polarity of the Amplifi supply input jack.

My approach would be to use a 12VDC source rated AT LEAST 3A, and run it into a 9V 3A voltage regulator. This would allow the option of using a 12V SLA battery as an alternative to the line-powered 12V wall wart being discussed. This could be handy for outdoor applications, like busking. The voltage regulator could be purchased rather inexpensively or tinkered together from a suitable circuit using inexpensive electronic components purchased online, if you have any rudimentary electronics assembly experience.

In my opinion, the 'step-down/regulate' approach is superior to the step-up 5V to 9V strategy discussed in one of the earlier posts. I use the latter to replace the 6AA batteries in my Variax with great results, enabling me to power it from a 5V 2200ma power bank, but the current requirements of a power amplifier make it an unsuitable solution for this application.

I am really open to alternatives.  Can you provide Amazon links to the devices to which you are referring?  Maybe something like:

https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN%C3%82-DC-DC-Converter-Supply-Waterproof/dp/B014ZRW60U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1512954122&sr=8-3&keywords=9v+6a

Here is a link to the devices I am considering:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/remote-power-supply-for-pedals-incl-gt-001.1885820/

I am really open to alternatives.  Can you provide Amazon links to the devices to which you are referring?  Maybe something like:

https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN%C3%82-DC-DC-Converter-Supply-Waterproof/dp/B014ZRW60U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1512954122&sr=8-3&keywords=9v+6a

A cursory glance at this suggests it would be ideal. Of course, you'll have to come up with an enclosure of some sort and the proper barrel connector to fit into the Amplifi, but it looks pretty promising -- and inexpensive!

Heck, I may put this on my amazon Christmas wish list!

The amplify takes the simple PSA adapter, AFIK, so just cannabalize a One-Spot cable if nothing else....

Think about it some more, and if you get one I'll get one if it seems reasonable to both of us and test it out....

(My spare motorcycle battery just sits there anyway, so.... )

We can test it before the enclosure, of course.  Best to try it with an inexpensive pedel first (e.g. my Behringer TO800) to see if it lights up and nothing smells like it is burning.

Then try it with the Amplify - the one I suggested is 50W, 6A so should power a LOT of stuff, including a Boss GT-`100, etc.... 

We can test it before the enclosure, of course.  Best to try it with an inexpensive pedel first (e.g. my Behringer TO800) to see if it lights up and nothing smells like it is burning.

Then try it with the Amplify - the one I suggested is 50W, 6A so should power a LOT of stuff, including a Boss GT-`100, etc.... 

Good approach, if you have any uncertainty. I, for one, would not hesitate to go for the gold, after double-checking the output voltage and polarity. (I'd probably put it on the o'scope, too, to look at the cleanliness of the DC, just to be on the safe side. If that checks out, I'd fire away, betting the Amplifi doesn't suspect a thing. :))

FWIW, I just talked to the t/s at iMuto re. the following:

https://www.amazon.com/50000mAh-Portable-Generator-Rechargeable-Notebook/dp/B06XBPQKTR/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AV9Y4QYQW6RFVV8KJHD8

He said as long as the amp is 100 watts or less, this probably should work.  Dunno if it is worth it (with the ac inverter, it gets around $150 or so), but it is an all in one solution that has more than just the amp application...  What do you think?

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, I just talked to the t/s at iMuto re. the following:

https://www.amazon.com/50000mAh-Portable-Generator-Rechargeable-Notebook/dp/B06XBPQKTR/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AV9Y4QYQW6RFVV8KJHD8

He said as long as the amp is 100 watts or less, this probably should work.  Dunno if it is worth it (with the ac inverter, it gets around $150 or so), but it is an all in one solution that has more than just the amp application...  What do you think?

For some reason, I missed seeing this post. Looks like a great, versatile solution, but I couldn't justify spending that much unless I planned to use it regularly. 

As a bit of followup, I've purchased an adjustable regulator capable of supplying (supposedly...)  up to 5A at 9V to my Amplifi 30. Powered it up yesterday via 12V SLA battery, adjusted the output to exactly 9V, and let it sit for a while to observe stability. It was rock-solid.

Next step is to come up with the appropriate cabling and plug for the Amplifi, and then give it the old smoke test! I'll go slowly and cautiously, double-checking polarity and will measure current consumption while monitoring the voltage and even look at the 9Vdc with the 'scope to see how clean it is.

Have you made any progress with your project?

z

5A should power a 500HDx, along with a lot of other effects. 

I think if you publish a schematic and list of parts to the forum, it would be helpful to a lot of users.

Does the 500HDx required a 9VDC power source? If so, I find it somewhat surprising, as most of the Line 6 floor effects units I've been around have run on AC. The Amplifi 30 & FX100 were the first I'd seen that run on 9VDC.

If I finalize something, I'll make a sketch or upload a picture. It's pretty simple, really...

https://www.amazon.com/HD500X-Multi-effects-replacement-supply-adaptor/dp/B00GQWSYQ8

Also these guys (it was supposed to be out 2 years ago)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48955335/ripcord-the-plug-n-play-anywhere-usb-power-cable/posts/2049769

However, the jack is not the normal 9v jack for a pedal - my converter cable would not fit....

Nice to see they're using DC supplies more these days. I used to have a battery-powered rig that I'd use when we played in the park. I used a Fender Amp Can that I modified to send 12VDC battery voltage out to a small 110Vac inverter that powered the wall wart for my Pod XT Live. What a hack job that was! All because they wanted low-voltage AC for the older devices like the Pods...

Sheesh! :rolleyes: