Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume pedal does not go to zero when heel down!

jimbojamz

My volume pedal doesn't go to zero constantly when in heel down position.  sometimes it does but other times it goes to 3 or 5 % (random low number)

Is there a calibration I can do on it? Brand new Helix less than a week old too. 

TIA

I don't have a solution for you per se, but for those that might, I assume you're talking about the built in expression pedal on the floor unit?

If not, what pedal are you using, what kind of cable are you using, and what port are you connecting it too?

my pedal was floppy out of the box. (the built in expression pedal) The first helix i had had a bad capacitance switch, this is my second one and it really concerns me about the quality control on a 1500.00 piece of gear.   

my pedal was floppy out of the box. (the built in expression pedal) The first helix i had had a bad capacitance switch, this is my second one and it really concerns me about the quality control on a 1500.00 piece of gear.   

I don't blame you a bit for that thought after two of them. If it continues to do this I would return it again. At some point QA will get their lollipop handed to them when enough of these units get returned. OTOH, it's also just possible you have had really bad luck. Is it too late to exchange it cause that's what I would do.

• Upvote 1

If it's floppy, try tightening it a bit. Maybe it is dropping a little when you take your foot off. 

You might try loosening up a bit with the provided hex wrench. Sometimes if it is too tight, you won't get it all the way to the heel position consistently. They are pretty tight out of the box. 

It was doing it still tonight after work. I loosened the pedal screw up until it just about came loose. The pedal was all floppy in there. I tightened it back up and it seems to be working correctly like my last unit did.  

• 3 weeks later...

It was doing it still tonight after work. I loosened the pedal screw up until it just about came loose. The pedal was all floppy in there. I tightened it back up and it seems to be working correctly like my last unit did.  

The pedal seemed to be working fine on my desk which is where it's been since my quote up there. I had my first band band practice last night ( there are six of us in the band, we all have jobs and five of us have families. needless to say it's hard to schedule a practice) I digress. Helix sounded Awesome! (w/ frfr) Volume pedal wasn't heel downing (that a word?) to zero.   :(

I'm still getting 2-3% until I really mash it whit my heel. the unit doesn't sit square on my desk either: it rocks back and forth from upper left to lower right. The first Helix I had didn't do that. It's going back for exchange to MF on Monday. I hate to be without it, but it cost too much to have to put up with any defect. 

On the bright side: I'm getting very proficient in updating the Helix, as well as backing up & restoring. 

As a test I did factory reset on Helix. Then did a global restore. Worked great-  all patches where I left them. I then renamed my Glen DeLuane patches with numbers in front of the GD_Patch Name That corespnd to the IR's slot number they are supposed to be in. 

1GD_ Patch Name

2GD_ etc

3GD_etc

Imported the IR's in and they are in the correct order!

The pedal seemed to be working fine on my desk which is where it's been since my quote up there.

No offense, but it's designed to be on the floor... I would expect the pedal to work poorly with a hand. And how do you know that your desk is totally flat? If it works on the floor, it's working right.

But I see that you had problems on the floor, too, at least as far as the volume pedal.

No offense, but it's designed to be on the floor... I would expect the pedal to work poorly with a hand. And how do you know that your desk is totally flat? If it works on the floor, it's working right.

But I see that you had problems on the floor, too, at least as far as the volume pedal.

This was my second Helix (third on the way) the first helix didn't rock back and forth in the same spot on my desk is how I know it's flat (or first helix warped  :) )

Anyway unit was picked up this morning and I hope to have my replacement in about 5 days. 

I'm with you Jimbo... I understood what you meant by it rocking, not acceptable.  Assuming all rubber feet were the same height, if it's rocking, it means the extrusion is warped out of spec, and there ain't no fixin' that.  And it's a possible cause for your volume pedal issue to boot (pun unintended), plus other possible problems it could cause (warping the board inside, connectors not quite fitting inside, etc.. all bad stuff). 

The pedal should go from 0 to 100 and back no problem, by foot or by hand... Using the pedal on/off button by hand, that's a different story, but all other operation should be transparent to it's location.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Mine does exactly the same thing - discovered the problem whilst on tour and it was a nightmare for whammy style things - I'd release the pedal in the 'heel down' position and it would rise back up 1% or 3% or 5%, pulling the whole guitar out off tune with the song. I worked around it by assigning the whammy to a switch so I could turn it on and off but this really messed with my setup. i tried adjusting the tension but this doesn't seem like a hardware issue.

11 hours ago, Danerad said:

Mine does exactly the same thing - discovered the problem whilst on tour and it was a nightmare for whammy style things - I'd release the pedal in the 'heel down' position and it would rise back up 1% or 3% or 5%, pulling the whole guitar out off tune with the song. I worked around it by assigning the whammy to a switch so I could turn it on and off but this really messed with my setup. i tried adjusting the tension but this doesn't seem like a hardware issue.

I had this same issue with my LT, 2 of them actually.....but in toe down position.  I like my auto engages to be 'off' when in toe down.....but same thing, I could build work arounds for wah stuff, but whammy I like to leave the block off until I need that affect and it would constantly go past my 97% 'off' point, but then when I released my foot from the pedal it would counter rock back slightly to a random number less than 97%.  No matter what I adjusted the 'off' threshold to...it would always counter rock when I lifted my foot to lower than that number....unless I set it so stupidly low it almost made it worthless to setup that way. 

I created a ticket with L6 and they took care of me.  Mine was registered and all...I now have the full Helix, and so far so good.