Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Who Has A Completely Working Jtv Guitar?

I have a JTV-69 that I purchased from Sweetwater on 8/18/13. I have another thread where I have described problems I am having with ghost notes in alternate tunings.

I have to decide in the next few day whether or not I am going to:

1. Return the guitar - get a refund.

2. Swap out my guitar for another JTV.

3. Keep current guitar and wait for Line 6 to come up with a fix.

Here is my question. Who out there has a JTV that they feel works perfectly?  (both the models and especially the alternate tunings) Your feedback will help me with my decision. Also, if you want to chime in pro/con with your experiences with Line 6 support, that would be helpful - especially if I choose option #3.

Thanks again!

Steve

I have a perfectly working JTV-59. Love it.

I have read your other thread and the progress being made with Line 6 support. My understanding is that they believe it may have something to do with the alt tuning s/w in Workbench HD and they are working towards a solution. I also see that other users are having a similar issue - all of whom seem to have used Workbench HD to adjust alternate tunings. As I understand it this could be a trigger for the symptom.This suggests that the issue is s/w rather than h/w.

To help with your decision, I think the most important question is: If your alternate tuning issue is resolved, would you want to keep the guitar?

If the answer is no, then return your guitar for refund.

If the answer is yes, recognizing that the issue is likely software, I don't think swapping your guitar will get you anywhere. A very cautious approach here would be to return the guitar now for a refund and wait to re-purchase another after a fix has been announced. Meantime you have no JTV.

Personally, I would feel confident that Line 6 will get to the bottom of this and release a software fix, but that is just my opinion. That would argue for door #3 in your list of options. Meantime, you can enjoy the guitar without using alternate tunings if that's possible.

But, of course, it's your decision.

Good luck with this.

I have been following, and contributing to the "Ghost Notes" thread. I have one of the JTV's (59) that has had some issues with the alternate tuning, so I guess I don't count as someone who has a "Perfectly Working" JTV. It is a strange anomaly, and I have thought a lot about whether I should choose option #1 or #2 also.

The problem with either one of those options for me is that I really LOVE this guitar. As just a regular 6 string electric, without the models & tunings, it really feels and plays better that most of the other off the shelf big brand guitars I have played (yes Fender and Gibson, I’m talking about you!). It is really resonant, sustains notes a long time, intonates really well. It's really solidly built, doesn't feel like a cheap knock off guitar. I am not having any problems with the neck and frets, no dead spots or fret buzz, the action is reasonably low, and I even like the neck contour. It's a little bigger than necks on some guitars I have owned or played, but feels really natural in my hands. I have had so much fun playing this guitar in the last couple of days that I think if someone’s going to take this guitar from me, they'll have to pry it out of my hands. It would really be difficult to take it back and hope to get another that plays as well.

Maybe I just got lucky and this is one of those instruments that you feel a connection with, and just sounds and feels right. I apologize, I’m gushing a little bit here but I really think this is a great instrument.

After re-reading what I just wrote, I don’t think I can choose option #1 or #2. The alternate tuning issue for me is a little sporadic anyway. It happens sometimes to a degree, on some combinations of models & tunings. I think I have no real choice but to hope that this is something that will be resolved through a software or firmware update. Maybe there’s some kind of hardware change that need to be done (updated circuit board or something), but I think I will keep this instrument, and hope that the issue can be resolved, or learn to live with it as is.

I went through two 59's from two different Guitar Centers before getting one that worked. First one got bricked doing an update. Second one had a bad model selector switch. Line 6 Support would have taken them in for repair, but I'm on the East Coast and didn't want to wait since I had traded my guitar for the JTV.

If you like the way yours plays and looks, maybe it's worth the repair time.

I should have had the first one repaired. It was a Cherryburst that had a great book matched flame to the top. None of the others I looked at came close and I ended up with a black one.

I have not had the alt tuning issue and have not altered the tuning options in wb.

I have two JTV's that I consider to be completely working -- a 59 since May 2011, and a 69S since October 2012. I had some initial issues with the 59 -- 3-way switch issue and later, a piezo issue that Line 6 stepped up and fixed in both cases. No complaints about them, and they are both my "go to" guitars. I make limited use of the alternate tuning -- only for down tunings, drop-d etc. On raised tunings, I use a capo - been doing for many years, just a habit.

Dave

I have a perfectly working JTV69S.  Had it almost a month.  Love it.  Bought it from Sweetwater - a Demo -saved $400 over normal price too.  Came with 2.0 installed.  I had to do some tweaks to the action and intonation but it was in very good condition.

This is my exact experience as well.

Action and bridge needed to be tweaked to my specs but modeling and tunings work perfect.

I may swap out the mag pups as they are weaker and more shrill than my other strats.

Thank you all for your valuable feedback! It really helps. It is very good to hear that most of you have had working models.

I am leaning very much with keeping this guitar and having faith that Line 6 will come up with a solution - and I can only hope that it is a software update! I bought mine from Sweetwater also, and their support and commitment to making this right has been extraordinary. 

Please try another if you can't fix your current one. The Variax is jaw droppingly amazing when it actually works. There's nothing like it. Other modelings guitars don't even come close when it comes to it sounding amazing.

The only thing I can possibly ever regret about my Variax is that it's not a JTV Variax.

This is coming from a guy that avoided Line 6 stuff after my GX crapped out on me, then I saw this guitar being played by a band I like and was sold after watching videos about it.

Just so amazing if you love variety of guitar tones as well as using a vast amount of tunings. 

I'd call the store as well, talk to the manager explain your situation. perhaps he can return/rebuy for you to extend your 30 days... take some of the urgency out and keep your options open for a while longer.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a good rep at Sweetwater who assured me that the 30 day return window was flexible. Nice support!

I have a JTV-69S that will not stay in tune due to the tremolo.  I have tried everything on the forums and the only thing left is to change the bridge studs to some Gotoh Wilkinson locking studs.  Can anyone confirm if these are the correct ones to get. http://www.warmoth.com/Gotoh-Wilkinson-Studs-Pair-Chrome-P618C856.aspx  Will they just screw in or do I have to pull the whole sleeve out.  I would not like to do that as they are probably glued in.

I have a JTV-69S that will not stay in tune due to the tremolo.  I have tried everything on the forums and the only thing left is to change the bridge studs to some Gotoh Wilkinson locking studs.  Can anyone confirm if these are the correct ones to get. http://www.warmoth.com/Gotoh-Wilkinson-Studs-Pair-Chrome-P618C856.aspx  Will they just screw in or do I have to pull the whole sleeve out.  I would not like to do that as they are probably glued in.

Sorry, but I don't see the those studs changing a thing!  I have those on a couple of guitars, they won't alleviate any tuning problems.  They make a tonal difference when you lock them down, but not tuning!  If not locked down, they can even move around.

Check out this video...he will show how it keep any guitar in tune!  Amazing tips, a must watch....

http://youtu.be/O0Oyc6slYRc

As long as your nut slots are wide enough and never make a "ping" sound, the above video will fix your problem.

• Upvote 2

I have the 69-S as well.

I have my trem set up as floating...I can pull up a minor third on the g string.

No tuning problems at all.

As funky stated, I can't see how it could be the posts.

The nut is self lubing, no string tee's, the bridge is designed to iliminate snag points.

I have 3 original trem strats that stay in tune as well but those need a little extra attention at various spots.

Can't see how the JT Variax wouldn't come back in tune with a wang on the bar.

Sorry, but I don't see the those studs changing a thing!  I have those on a couple of guitars, they won't alleviate any tuning problems.  They make a tonal difference when you lock them down, but not tuning!  If not locked down, they can even move around.

Check out this video...he will show how it keep any guitar in tune!  Amazing tips, a must watch....

http://youtu.be/O0Oyc6slYRc

As long as your nut slots are wide enough and never make a "ping" sound, the above video will fix your problem.

Thanks for that video although  I was already doing that.The guitar is staying in tune when I dive but when I pull up it stays sharp.  If I push back down again it goes back to tune but this is not helpful in a live performance or recording situation.  The reason I want to change the studs is that other people have done this in the old line 6 forums and had success with it.  There is nothing binding that I can tell either at the nut or bridge or inside.  The Piezo cables are not binding.  The only thing left is the knife edges not returning to position on the bridge pins.

Try removing one of the springs and increasing the tension on the remaining two.

Just tried you suggestion.  Didn't help unfortunately.  I might pull it apart and make sure the knife edges are sharp.  It is like there are 2 different points where the tremolo likes to rest.  If filing the knife edges doesn't work I could get one of these: http://joe.emenaker.com/TremStabilizers/BackBox.html.  This will push the tremolo back to position after pulling up.  I would still like to try locking bridge pins but not sure which ones will directly fit in.

I put a MagLok on mine and it helped quite a bit.  But, it's not a magic bullet.  If there are other mechanical issues you should deal with them first.  Check the nut for pinching as a starter.  There are a great series of YouTube videos on mechanical setup by Italian guitar maker Galeazzo Frudua.  He covers the subject thoroughly and seems to understand the fundamentals better than about 99% of the luthiers out there.

I have a JTV59, And like all guitars it has its ups and downs.  I think peoples problems with the variax is that its trying to be everything, And it cannot be.  I don't look at the models as what they are supposed to represent ( more as a different tonal pallet).  People tend to freak out cause the acoustic doesn't sound like a real accoustic or their strat sounds different than the model on the variax so its not right.  Some variax's like other guitars have their own characteristics that carry over to what the guitar sounds and what its playability is like.  You can take two Identical model guitars(fender gibson whatever) and play them back to back and you will find variations between them.  I feel that my 59 works just fine yeah there are things I wish it did better but you take the good with the bad and move on.  ( same goes with the updates)

• Upvote 2

The guitar is staying in tune when I dive but when I pull up it stays sharp.  If I push back down again it goes back to tune but this is not helpful in a live performance or recording situation.

All my floating Strat trems work like that.

They need a quick flick of the trem arm after vigorous bending to get it back into a neutral (in tune) position.

I don't see how that makes it unworkable in a live or recording situation.

I do it all the time.

I got my JTV59 from Sweetwater's scratch/dent sale last month. Works perfectly as best as I can tell. Plus, not scratched or dented, saved $450.

I did the same thing: 59 S&D from Sweetwater for $450 off. Couldn't be happier! Great looking guitar that sounds great, too! I've had it a whole two days already - :D  - I've tried all the different models (I think) and most of the alt tunings, and I'm lovin' it! Plays quite nicely through my Spider IV 75. The S&D on mine, however, is noticeable (IF you're really picking nits) - there's a slight discoloration on the top edge of the fretboard @ the 2nd fret, almost half the size of the marker dots. If you look at it under harsh lighting, it's visible; otherwise not. Yeah. I'm happy.