Photo

Who Has A Completely Working Jtv Guitar?

jtv variax tunings modelling

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 garryallwood

garryallwood

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

I have a JTV-69S that will not stay in tune due to the tremolo.  I have tried everything on the forums and the only thing left is to change the bridge studs to some Gotoh Wilkinson locking studs.  Can anyone confirm if these are the correct ones to get. http://www.warmoth.c...e-P618C856.aspx  Will they just screw in or do I have to pull the whole sleeve out.  I would not like to do that as they are probably glued in.

#22 dkemusic

dkemusic

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

My JTV59 works fine.  It's was from one of the first few batches of 59's.  I've only dealt with Line6 support once that I can think of and everything was handled well and too my satisfaction.

Dan

#23 ur2funky

ur2funky

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:49 AM

I have a JTV-69S that will not stay in tune due to the tremolo.  I have tried everything on the forums and the only thing left is to change the bridge studs to some Gotoh Wilkinson locking studs.  Can anyone confirm if these are the correct ones to get. http://www.warmoth.c...e-P618C856.aspx  Will they just screw in or do I have to pull the whole sleeve out.  I would not like to do that as they are probably glued in.

Sorry, but I don't see the those studs changing a thing!  I have those on a couple of guitars, they won't alleviate any tuning problems.  They make a tonal difference when you lock them down, but not tuning!  If not locked down, they can even move around.

Check out this video...he will show how it keep any guitar in tune!  Amazing tips, a must watch....

http://youtu.be/O0Oyc6slYRc

As long as your nut slots are wide enough and never make a "ping" sound, the above video will fix your problem.

#24 GearFarm

GearFarm

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

I have the 69-S as well.

I have my trem set up as floating...I can pull up a minor third on the g string.

No tuning problems at all.

As funky stated, I can't see how it could be the posts.

The nut is self lubing, no string tee's, the bridge is designed to iliminate snag points.

I have 3 original trem strats that stay in tune as well but those need a little extra attention at various spots.

Can't see how the JT Variax wouldn't come back in tune with a wang on the bar.

#25 xavigarci32x

xavigarci32x

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

My JTV-69S Works and looks just perfect, no issues.

#26 snhirsch

snhirsch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationBurlington, VT USA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

My JTV-69 works fine.  I did replace the neck, but that's out of personal preference. 

40 years of Rock-n-Roll and proud of it!

PRS Custom 24 (1990) w/ GK-3 Hex PU

James Tyler Variax JTV-69(k) w/ Strat Neck

Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth

QSC K10 FRFR

#27 garryallwood

garryallwood

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

Sorry, but I don't see the those studs changing a thing!  I have those on a couple of guitars, they won't alleviate any tuning problems.  They make a tonal difference when you lock them down, but not tuning!  If not locked down, they can even move around.

Check out this video...he will show how it keep any guitar in tune!  Amazing tips, a must watch....

http://youtu.be/O0Oyc6slYRc

As long as your nut slots are wide enough and never make a "ping" sound, the above video will fix your problem.

Thanks for that video although  I was already doing that.The guitar is staying in tune when I dive but when I pull up it stays sharp.  If I push back down again it goes back to tune but this is not helpful in a live performance or recording situation.  The reason I want to change the studs is that other people have done this in the old line 6 forums and had success with it.  There is nothing binding that I can tell either at the nut or bridge or inside.  The Piezo cables are not binding.  The only thing left is the knife edges not returning to position on the bridge pins.

#28 snhirsch

snhirsch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:17 PM

Try removing one of the springs and increasing the tension on the remaining two.

QSC K10 FRFR

#29 garryallwood

garryallwood

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

Try removing one of the springs and increasing the tension on the remaining two.

Just tried you suggestion.  Didn't help unfortunately.  I might pull it apart and make sure the knife edges are sharp.  It is like there are 2 different points where the tremolo likes to rest.  If filing the knife edges doesn't work I could get one of these: http://joe.emenaker....rs/BackBox.html.  This will push the tremolo back to position after pulling up.  I would still like to try locking bridge pins but not sure which ones will directly fit in.

#30 snhirsch

snhirsch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:57 AM

I put a MagLok on mine and it helped quite a bit.  But, it's not a magic bullet.  If there are other mechanical issues you should deal with them first.  Check the nut for pinching as a starter.  There are a great series of YouTube videos on mechanical setup by Italian guitar maker Galeazzo Frudua.  He covers the subject thoroughly and seems to understand the fundamentals better than about 99% of the luthiers out there.

QSC K10 FRFR

#31 katiekerry

katiekerry

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:03 AM

I have a JTV59, And like all guitars it has its ups and downs.  I think peoples problems with the variax is that its trying to be everything, And it cannot be.  I don't look at the models as what they are supposed to represent ( more as a different tonal pallet).  People tend to freak out cause the acoustic doesn't sound like a real accoustic or their strat sounds different than the model on the variax so its not right.  Some variax's like other guitars have their own characteristics that carry over to what the guitar sounds and what its playability is like.  You can take two Identical model guitars(fender gibson whatever) and play them back to back and you will find variations between them.  I feel that my 59 works just fine yeah there are things I wish it did better but you take the good with the bad and move on.  ( same goes with the updates)

JTV 59 Tobacco Burst

HD500

Alesis DM10 Studio

#32 Fendervariax

Fendervariax

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:07 AM

MIne ( Jtv 89) came in perfect condition and I really think it plays greatly.

Cheers.

#33 GearFarm

GearFarm

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

The guitar is staying in tune when I dive but when I pull up it stays sharp.  If I push back down again it goes back to tune but this is not helpful in a live performance or recording situation.

All my floating Strat trems work like that.

They need a quick flick of the trem arm after vigorous bending to get it back into a neutral (in tune) position.

I don't see how that makes it unworkable in a live or recording situation.

I do it all the time.

#34 mloywhite

mloywhite

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

I got my JTV59 from Sweetwater's scratch/dent sale last month. Works perfectly as best as I can tell. Plus, not scratched or dented, saved $450.

#35 corvay

corvay

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:34 PM

I have a JTV89 working fine and still looks immaculate.

Love this guitar it is simply amazing!

#36 tscoolberth

tscoolberth

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

I 89. No issues, though I don't mess with alt tunings, just those found on the dial.

JTV-89, ESP-LTD Hex-7, Schecter V-1, Jackson RR3, Jackson KVXMG, Douglas Hadron 7 string

Laney IRT Studio head, Jet City 1x12" cab

Line 6 Spider Valve MK1 w/ Strymon pre-amp mod .

Mustang 1 15w practice amp with Celestion spkr upgrade.

#37 TxHCBP

TxHCBP

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:49 PM

I got my JTV59 from Sweetwater's scratch/dent sale last month. Works perfectly as best as I can tell. Plus, not scratched or dented, saved $450.

I did the same thing: 59 S&D from Sweetwater for $450 off. Couldn't be happier! Great looking guitar that sounds great, too! I've had it a whole two days already - :D  - I've tried all the different models (I think) and most of the alt tunings, and I'm lovin' it! Plays quite nicely through my Spider IV 75. The S&D on mine, however, is noticeable (IF you're really picking nits) - there's a slight discoloration on the top edge of the fretboard @ the 2nd fret, almost half the size of the marker dots. If you look at it under harsh lighting, it's visible; otherwise not. Yeah. I'm happy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jtv, variax, tunings, modelling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users