Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Excessive hum with using magnetic pickups and models

I have an issue with excessive hum and the jtv59.  I'm running guitar via VDI cable into a HD500. I'm using the magnetic pickups and the modelling at the same time and using a panner to switch between them. For example: Acoustic jmodels and panning into a heavy magnetic-based tone.  I'm running XLR right out to a EV monitor on stage and XLR left out to board. I'm getting a horrible hum now. It has happened before but seems to have gotten worse. I switched inputs in the presets in the pod to just the variax (right before the gig in a panic) and the buzz is gone. 

Trying to brainstorm causes and solutions. The hum sounds like a typical ground loop. I've tried the ground lift on the pod and it seems to have no effect. This venue has bad power (as does a lot of places we play). Getting a few furman SS-6B filtering power strips that may help. I could just run to the board and the send guitar back to wedge.

Thought about getting the pyle PHE400.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/555-16055?scode=DD1443&trk_msg=5JJO54U26DJ4B18OSAJ6TRMJ1K&trk_contact=765CTN3VQE3OND4R5FLA07VMJO&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=555-16055&utm_campaign=DD1443

Thought that is maybe a grounding issue in the JTV.  If this was a normal guitar, I would gut it and foil and ground the pickup cavity. I'm a little hesitant to dig into it but will likely crack it open soon and take a look. I saw the pickup diagram that is flowing around.

Afterthought: I don't know if switching to the magnetics would bring hum back. That would be a great test. 

Any help would be most appreciated.

If the hum is gone when you go to Models only then the pickups is the problem.

The cause is likely to be magnetic interference - probably exaggerated though a high gain patch.

Using VDI there is only a tiny amount of circuit before it gets converted into a digital signal. VDI also ensures that it is not ground loop noise as there is no analogue signal at that point - the only one would be from POD to amplification and that would happen all the time.

Grounding issues will also reduce when you ground the guitar through yourself - just touch the strings - if the hum gets less then there might be a case for looking at loose wires, but if nothing changes then it is Electro=Magnetic noise going into the pickups and there is very little you can do about it.

There is probably something in that room that is causing a lot of noise - strip lights perhaps, A/C?

You can reduce the noise level by turning down the gain on the patches or mask it by using a noise gate (adjust the gate threshold if you already have one on the patch) but I would try to work using Models only - I can't stand interference noise any more!