Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is there a Global Bypass for Amp/Cab Sim?

Ilsenhab

Hi There, 

For situations where you're practicing at home with headphones/DAW, then you go to gig and plug into your amp? 

So you don't have to change all your presets/snapshots....

S

No, there isn't it...

I think this sort of global setting would be difficult to implement, as the preset architecture of the Helix doesn't really lend itself to it very well. There isn't a dedicated slot for and amp/cab model, plus you can use separate amp and cab models... Or you could be using an amp block with an IR. You can use multiple cabs or IRs with one amp block, etc., etc... It just seems like it would be way more trouble than it's worth. Really, the best thing to do is create separate presets for the various use scenarios.

This is probably a crazy idea but you could make a global bypass by assigning the bypass on the amp and cab models to an expression pedal and setting the expression pedal to global. That would give you a global bypass since the expression can track globally. The downside is it uses up an expression pedal. The other option would be to create a parallel route with the amp/speaker model on the XLR outputs and the bypassed on the 1/4".

Just taking the amp and cab out and assuming a patch will work great with your amp, though, is not a great workflow, potentially.

Yep. Playing through your amp won't sound the same as through the cab/IR block per preset. If it were me, I would copy all of these presets to another setlist, then delete the cab/IR blocks in those, then you can tweak as necessary. Then you have the same preset workflow, just a different means of making the actual noise. 

I always go direct, but I can appreciate the desire for not having to keep two sets of presets in sync when tweaking.

One possibility, if you're not already using all the paths/outputs of the Helix, would be to create every patch such that the XLR outputs come after the amp/cab simulation, but the 1/4" outputs are split off before the amp model.

This approach has some limitations, of course - it would require some creative routing in both the physical and virtual realms to do any post-amp (effects loop) style effects.

I made one preset with 8 snapshots with IR's  and copied that to  another preset with 8 snapshots and then removed the IR's to use with the L6 link into my DT50 amp.

Amazingly they sound real, real close except the DT50 sounds a tad more "buttery" thanks to tubes.  Give that a try.  :)

I am sure there is ways to do it.....

1.- Disabling all cab and IR blocks or Giving An option so that 1/4 output doesnt bring IR+CAB simulation. . That way you keep the amp section. This can work for people using he power amp section of the amp

2.- Disabling all amp + cab + ir blocks... for 4 cable method users

3.- disabling amp+cab + ir for People that use the front of the amp as input

Agree sound might be different... but sometimes when giging you might need to make a quick last minute decision....

Vota away!

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Global-CAB-OFF/790043-23508