Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amp sounds bad using 4CM connection

Cdubb5150

I was wondering if the people out here using 4CM had an issue with it sucking their tone. I'm just simply using 4CM into my head (using the send/receive block, all default values) and it sounds very odd. Almost AM radio like. I'd love to know if others have had this issue and hear some settings/blocks others are using.

I am using a 5150ii head into a 5150 cab. I found the below info online around my FX loop. I'm not using a footswitch (since I got the amp used and it didn't come with one) but the way I read that last sentence below, I shouldn't have to ("If footswitch is used, "Effects" must be selected (LED illuminated) for effects to work"). Also, I have the Helix set to instrument for input and send and receive in the global settings.

EFFECTS SEND/EFFECTS RETURN Signals are supplied to outboard effects or signal processing units by patching from the Effects Send (7) output into the outboard unit(s) and back into the Effects Return (8) input using shielded cables with 1/4" mono phone plugs. Only non-gain effects devices (chorus, reverb, delay, etc.) should be used in the effects loop. If footswitch is used, "Effects" must be selected (LED illuminated) for effects to work.

EFFECTS SEND: Load Impedance: 47 k ohms or greater Nominal Output: -10 dBV, 300 mV RMS

EFFECTS RETURN: Impedance: Very High Z, 470 k ohms Designed Level: -10 dBV, 300 mV RMS