Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Trouble Controlling M9 via MIDI CC in Ableton

Markamontalto

Hey guys, 

I'm in a band where we control most of our set via MIDI in Ableton Live... including my guitar pedal presets and looping functions.

I have used several other pedals for looping via MIDI CC messages (Timeline, Timefactor, RC-202, etc) and haven't found any of them to work consistently with our setup. So frustrating!

Essentially I just have MIDI clips in the timeline for "record", "play" and "stop" functions - with corresponding CC messages. When the playhead passes over these clips it sends the message to the pedal and it records, plays back, and stops my loops. 

Recently I've been trying out the M9 in hopes it'll be my new go-to pedal for everything. in the timeline it looks kinda like this:

[ ]                         [ ]                         [ ]                                [ ]                                                        [ ]                         [ ]                         [ ]                                [ ]

record                 play                     overdub                     stop                 little later in song...      record                 play                     overdub                     stop         

Heres the trouble im having.. The first "record" works and the first "play" works. Then "overdub" doesn't seem to do anything..  but "stop" works.

Then when I get to the second looping part later in the song and it passes over the "record" clip..  nothing happens... and then "play" starts playing the earlier loop from the beginning.  I want it to playback (in sync ideally) and then stop, & clear out that recording.. then start a new recording... which should happen when "stop" happens right? 

Anyone with experience doing this? Any suggestions?  Alternatively.. I could try making one long clip for the whole song and keyframe the CCs in. hmmm

It seems to be receiving the messages pretty consistently which is good. Some of the other pedals I've tried would play back at a weird speed or just ignore my midi messages entirely. 

post-2508991-0-26470800-1491358335_thumb.png

After some experimenting and downloading/installing the latest firmware update- I'm having a bit more success.

However- it still doesn't want to start a new loop when I hit "stop" and then "record"... it makes me go out of looper mode and back into looper mode before "record" will create a new loop.

• 2 years later...