7 replies to this topic

#1 LarryWilliams

LarryWilliams

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

How do you use or activate the Volume Boost on the DT50?    I read that is available.....but so far find nothing that tells me how to do it.

#2 SteveGordon

SteveGordon

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

Where did you read this.

There are boost pedals in the HD500 but I haven't heard of a boost just in the DT.

There is LVM (low volume mode) which emulates power tube distortion at lower volumes if that's what you are after.

#3 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14809 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:37 PM

one of the internal tubes in the DT50 is used for boost... and there is a solid state equivalent in the DT25

they are related to the internal workings of the power amp... and NOT a boost for performing. (never even tried to see if it would be useful as such)

the only way it can be accessed is through midi, and its a good parameter when setting up your topologies when using the DT 2.0 update...

I think you read too much into the "boost" option you read about.

#4 LarryWilliams

LarryWilliams

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

Ok.  I guess I did not understand enough about it.

That is and has always been my biggest probelm with Line6.   Not enough information.   The user info is not plainly spelled out.   And there is often mention of something, but that's all, just a mention.

Plus, How do you get tech info - schematics, etc.   I do all of my own work on anything and everything electronic.   But it sure helps to have the roadmaps.   And, I imagine someday my Line6 stuff will need something.   I'd rather do the work myself and as a trained, experienced electronic tech, I should not have to pay someone else just becuase they have access.

But, I digress.   Thanks for your help!! :)

#5 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14809 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

they do not give out schematics etc... 

unless you become an authorized service center...

http://line6.com/company/contact/

no idea about requirements for such... but i'd start with that link.

#6 stumblinman

stumblinman

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:12 AM

Ok.  I guess I did not understand enough about it.

That is and has always been my biggest probelm with Line6.   Not enough information.   The user info is not plainly spelled out.   And there is often mention of something, but that's all, just a mention.

Plus, How do you get tech info - schematics, etc.   I do all of my own work on anything and everything electronic.   But it sure helps to have the roadmaps.   And, I imagine someday my Line6 stuff will need something.   I'd rather do the work myself and as a trained, experienced electronic tech, I should not have to pay someone else just becuase they have access.

But, I digress.   Thanks for your help!! :)

This is the nature of Line 6.  I've done some work myself as I'm qualified to do it and fairly comfortable doing so and all I had to go on were random Google images taken by other users to find my way around before digging in.  Perhaps they are concerned about their circuits being copied? Which is humorous in itself as they are a modeling company and copying is the very nature of their business.  I'm not sure.  Frustrating to say the least.

As far as the boost goes, I'm also curious as to what purpose it serves. Does it hit the preamp section harder, or just add a slight volume increase to bring the very different preamp volumes closer together? I can tell a difference in volume when I turn it on and off through DT Edit, but I can't say I ever notice it adding more grit to my tone.

Frustrating, to say the least.

#7 spaceatl

spaceatl

Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 4660 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:49 AM

I know I will get in trouble for this, but here is the HD Main board Schematic. You "trained, experienced" electronic techs should be able to figure out the power amp section as with any tube amp, when you turn them upside down they all look like sisters...

Attached File  HD Main Board.JPG   154.41KB   2 downloads

#8 LarryWilliams

LarryWilliams

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

Well, looking at that schematic, I think I will need to start carrying a spare electric eel in my gig bag.   I just have a feeling they won't last too long in that circuit!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users