Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Advice - which guitar to buy

Hi All,

Been reading several posts here as I try to decide which Variax to purchase.  Years ago I had the first or 2nd Variax that was released (can't remember exactly) and enjoyed it for about a year on tour and it served me well but I ended up getting rid of it after the tour ended.  Now I'm looking again and want one for studio recording (TV/film writing). To be able to dial up sounds quickly is a major plus.

There are many more choices now than the early days of Variax. I know if I play any of the current models in the store I'll probably like them (eyes will swirl by all of the sounds/tunings), but I'm looking for some good user feedback/advice so I can make a great choice.

Feature-wise, I'm looking for rich sounds, multiple tunings, the ability to create 'atmosphere' more than aggressive distortion.  I'm an 'early adopter' and like experimentation.  I get frustrated with lack of quality and expect the basics to be there - nice feel/playability, excellent intonation, great hardware, expecting annual trips to the shop for maintenance, but not more than that.  I have high standards and will pay for quality.

Any advice would be helpful.  Also, I'm assuming there is no RF/pickup noise to contend with, right?  I have had to fix RF issues in the past on other (non-Variax) guitars.

Thanks and I've enjoyed reading the posts here.  You guys are impressive!

The current Variax: Variax Standard, James Type Variax 59, 69 & 89 (JTV), the US versions of the latter (JTV-US), and the Shuriken are all based on the same processing unit, so they all have the same capabilities:

• They all have the same underlying Models which can all be completely customised into anything you want in Workbench HD
  • All models can be turned into 12 strings including alternative tunings
  • They all have a set of alternative tuning slots and these can be reprogrammed to be whatever you want (+/- 12 semitones) - the 89 models/Shuriken have a different factory set
  • They all have VDI sockets for connection to a Helix (Floor, Rack and LT) or HD500X processor which powers the guitars and integrates - so you can change guitar, pickups and tuning at the press of a button, but you can also use the volume and tone knobs as additional controllers.
  • They all have magnetic pickups that can be used in combination with the models (using a Line 6 processor for two parallel input, or merged using Workbench)

But they are obviously not the same - and as with all guitars each will be subtle differences from others even of the same model.

The Standard is the lowest spec in the hierarchy and is based on a Yamaha Pacifica and it is built to a budget

The JTV were the first of this new generation and are quality Korean built (World Music - same factory as PRS SE models) - they are generally a good quality guitar although you will find some specific gripes on this forum. Les Paul, Strat and Metal Guitar styles.

JTV-US is hand built in California by a James Tyler luthier with better hardware and a custom set-up of the electronics; so while the JTV gets a basic works out of the factory set-up the JTV-US will have perfectly matched piezo pickups and been tuned to work optimally.

Shuriken is newest and is a special edition for Stevic of 10 Foot Ninja.

The model modes are silent, the pickups like any other guitar are susceptible to magnetic interference.

I have a JTV-69 and it is a nice guitar and from your description is probably the first one for you to try; if you can justify it then a US hand-built version may meet your requirement for highest quality but are custom order and significantly more expensive than the Korean factory models:

http://uk.line6.com/variax-modeling-guitars/jtv-us/ 

• Upvote 2

If you 'default' to strats play a 69 1st, if it's LP then a 59. Sounds like you aren't into metal so 89 & suriken may not be to your taste. You have kind of answered your own question though in that you have try then and see how they feel for you.

The modlled sounds (according to a lot of threads here - I've only really experienced a 59 myself) have a similar sound that does not realte to body shape. If you intend to use the mag pups (I tend to only do that if I'm not connected to my pod!) then that may be affected by the shape of the guitar.

Necks tend to be on the 'chunky' side but I found my 59 fine for my style. I'm more a 'strat' man by default but I really love the look and feel -and sound! - of my 59.

Dive in!

If you like thin necks, then the 89F will feel pretty nice. On the other hand, the 69 neck can be replaced with a Warmouth or other Strat replacement neck and you can order exactly what you want. That's what I did. But, I also bought an 89F, which is working out good for me.

If you like your necks on the chunky side, then the stock 69 or 59 neck may be just right for you.