Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplifi "system" vs. Firehawk FX

xmacvicar

Just purchased an Amplifi 75 over this past weekend and its my first time diving into this system. To make a long story short - I totally dig the system and I am now looking at my options. This led me into the path of buying the new FBV MK3 floorboard to control my amp and patches....however....

that got me into thinking I could buy the Firehawk FX (which is everything the amplifi is, and the FBV3) but does NOT have the speaker. I am a Dad / busy / hobbyist guitarist and I like the idea of having the amplifi in my office to get me jamming out a few minutes each day. The Firehawk gets me more 'things' per se - the floor board control, the HD amp models, all the iOS control, etc. but just no speaker. I would be basically removing the live speaker element out of the equation and likely only ever playing with headphones.

I paid $549 for the amplifi. The Firehawk FX is $599.

If I purchase the FBV3 to go with my amplifi that is $549 + $349 = a hell of a lot more than the Firehawk current....again, with no speaker or sound.

What would you do?

Depending where you are located, Firehawk FX is currently 449.99 at a few retailers in the US. There has been a promotion every couple of months for Firehawk FX at 349.99, this promo is not currently in effect but may come back around in a few months. 

• 2 weeks later...

To confuse you even more: here's an additional option: Get the Amplifi TT and the pedals. That still won't give you a speaker, but a nice looking device you can put onto your desk/hook up to your computer for recording or your home stereo. Thomann was reselling for quite cheap here (got mine for 99€, likely clearing out their stock on that one) - and at that price it is a real bargain.

If they didn't have the TT for that price, I'd likely not have purchased the Apmlifi at all (but rather a Joyo Zombie) - but happy that I did purchase it, despite the app still being sub-par.

But back to your question: If you're planning on using headphones more or less exclusively anyway, and you cannot get any of the devices in a special sale, then go with the Firehawk. I kinda miss being able to switch from clean to distorted/not being able to enable/disable effects.