Photo

How many db of boost can the Helix's FX loops handle?

effects loop fx loop overdrive boost

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gone_Shootin

Gone_Shootin

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • Registered Products:3

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:35 PM

I've been trying to find specs on the Helix's FX loops where it states how many decibels of boost they can handle. I like to use one of my Wyldes Overdrives in front of an amp with the volume cranked. This is fine in front of a tube amp, but I don't know about the Helix. I know with my TC Electronic G-System, I couldn't, because it could possibly damage the unit.

#2 Digital_Igloo

Digital_Igloo

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1898 posts
  • LocationCalabasas, CA
  • Registered Products:1

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:58 PM

Each FX Loop block's Input and/or Output can be boosted by up to 6dB, in 0.1dB increments.

Senior Product Manager, Line 6

#3 Gone_Shootin

Gone_Shootin

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:08 PM

That's not what I'm talking about. How much boost can the FX returns handle from an external pedal?

#4 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 8738 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN
  • Registered Products:2

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:37 AM

There's a lot of headroom on the Helix's inputs. The guitar input has 123dB of dynamic range, and the converters are rated for 114dB (Line 6 does some magic with that input to squeeze out some more headroom). I believe that all the inputs are using the same converters, so even at 114dB, that's quite a lot of headroom. You should be fine. You don't really risk damaging anything, but if you push it too hard, you'd start to hear the clipping. But the thing is, the 1/4" returns can actually accept a signal that's up to line level, so you really shouldn't come close to clipping with a regular guitar pedal. There are some effects blocks that can be pushed into "virtual clipping" if the input is too hot, so that's the thing I'd be concerned about more than anything.

"It is not our duty to understand the arbitrary, meaningless dictates of machines"

- Don Norman in The Design of Everyday Things

#5 Gone_Shootin

Gone_Shootin

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:16 AM

Ok, that's what I was looking for. On top of not being modeled, I also modded both of my Wyldes to run at 18v. So even if they were modeled, it's likely that there wouldn't be an 18v option on the model. And I'm not sure how many db of boost a Wylde Overdrive is capable of, but it's nowhere near 114, lol. It's probably only 20 or 30db.

Thanks, all!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: effects loop, fx loop, overdrive, boost