#1 juaquito16

juaquito16

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hey guys,

For many months I have been practicing and recording using my Pod hd500 (Firmware 2.10) and i've tried many Custom tone high gain presets like ENGL,Treadplate and more but All of them sound very harsh and dirty without any "body", the opposite of a thick and warm tone. Each preset that I downloaded from custom tone sounds very bad.  

Now I have just installed 2.0 (Rollback) and all those high gain tones which sounded very bad and harsh now sound excellent and very thick!.I'm a little confused, Perhaps the presets were intended to be used in the firmware 2.0?. Anyway they sound 100% different, now i am very happy! My recordings sound very good and clear! I'm in love with my pod again.The only thing that I miss the last firmware are the SOLDANO models... 

There is a problem with my pod? Any one of you has the same problem? What can i do? 

My Gear:

Schecter hellraiser c1 fr ---------> Pod HD500--------> Shure Shr840 Headphones/M-audio BX8D2 Studio monitors

Pod settings:

-Studio/Direct.

Thank you for read!

#2 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14814 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:13 AM

custom tone is always a starting point only... someone could have made a tone on some very dark sounding speakers and uploaded it... and on a brighter setup it will sound harsh.

in any case... my guess would be that flashing the update probably changed an output mode that was disagreeing with you and updating to 2.1 should be safe...

why not back up your tones and give it a try.

#3 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:55 AM

Perhaps the presets were intended to be used in the firmware 2.0?.

if you press the "expand view" button in customtone you can also see every patch publication date

the latest fw 2.10 was released in 10/16/12, and the previous 2.02 in 4/3/12, etc etc....

therefore with a quick calculation you can easily discover the mystery

remember, however, that also the guitar used to make each patch is enormously important

#4 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1028 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

Nope, Juaquito is correct.After the update many things and sounds changed.My fav tone that I created, ari sweet, is not sweet anymore.and I use the same guitar.

#5 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14814 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:03 PM

now that i think about it... is this the update that implemented variable input z?

you may just have to change the input z from auto to 1m to get back to the old default.

#6 DeanDinosaur

DeanDinosaur

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

Early on the Uber was  what is  now called Line 6 Elektric. It was brought back by popular demand as a new mp when the original Uber was changed dramatically as part of a firmware update. Firmware sometimes can introduce significant change in the tone relative to the guitar being used. Compare the uber with line 6 Elektric and you will feel the difference Even thought they were originally intended to model the same identical AMP.  For those who have Variax, the latest update significantly changed the sound of many models, that many are really unhappy. I'ms starting to think this firmware update thing were models are completely reworked is a waste of time. If you dig deep you will notice that some effects also changed. Aside from new effects and amps and bugs, it's purely personal and speculative whether the models really improve with every firmware. It's almost the same as the arguments about good tone! 

#7 juaquito16

juaquito16

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

Thank you all for responding to my post!

As I said before, I am really impressed with the big difference between 2.0 and 2.10. I understand that among the updates there may be a small/big  difference and a lot of things will probably change, but to be honest my POD sounds really harsh with the latest firmware. I'm scared that maybe in the next update my pod sounds bad and that I won't be able to enjoy the benefits of the new one. For now I will continue using 2.0...

Feel free to comment and leave your opinion! 

#8 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5277 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:10 AM

There shouldn't be any difference in the overall sound between those two versions. A few new amp models were added in 2.10, and they added support for the StageSource speakers, but other than that nothing changed. If you're hearing differences, it's probably because some setting is changed on your HD500.

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

#9 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14814 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:39 AM

AGREE.

There shouldn't be any difference in the overall sound between those two versions. A few new amp models were added in 2.10, and they added support for the StageSource speakers, but other than that nothing changed. If you're hearing differences, it's probably because some setting is changed on your HD500.

#10 PedalTweaker

PedalTweaker

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:35 AM

Off to the real topic, even on the latest update on Spider IV 75 watts amp. The latest firmware has made the clean and dirt sound too transparent to the point that even when I dial the gain at 12 o'clock, i can hear the harshness of any distortion effect I tried to use. Before I made the update, I wrote down my settings. Unfortunately it didn't sound the same anymore. I will attempt to revert to the original firmware. I can live w/ that.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: latest, firmware, pod, hd500, hd, guitar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users