Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax or not Variax

Hello, i play with a pod since 2 years, its been a love hate relationship and the learning curve was difficult. Yet im still optimistic about it since I already used in the fx return of a tube amp and I was amazed.

I'm programming to buy a DT to pair with my hd and im questioning myself wether to get a james taylor variax to have the full dream rig or just buy a premium ibanez guitar ??

How does the 89f model compete against a premium ibanez guitar ?? in terms of build quality ??

is the variax worth ?? or is it a mess like the hd and needs a learning curve ?? does it promises excellent sound without quick results like the hd500 ?? 

thank you 

I think most would agree that build quality is varied. Make sure you play the guitar so you know it's up to your standard. I have a 59 that I bought as B stock. It has a slight mark in the binding on the neck otherwise I think it is built well. I've had no problems with it. I also have several other guitars including a 78 Strat so I do know a bit about build quality.

I would say that it's not as hard to get your mind round the JTV as the Pod. You have done the hard work!

The ability to get different sounds and use different tunings is amazing. You should definitely try one!

My Variax JVT-69S has a few issues: the nut is not well setup and was not glued in. The high E nut slot is wide and sloppy creating tone issues on the open E string. The nut slots are too deep and this can create loss of tone and additional friction.

The pick guard has a bulge on the bottom, looks like there was at one time a wire between the body and pick guard that warped it.

The bridge slips off its posts when all the strings are removed - be careful of this. And the bridge edge near the high E string looks like it got damaged, possible from slipping over the post.

The neck is not well aligned with the body, there's quite a bit more gap on the high E than the low E. Now that's easily fixed - but I've found I actually like it that way, so I'm leaving it. There's less risk of the high E slipping off the fretboard, and its easier to fret the low E with my thumb.

Otherwise I'm really happy with this instrument and use it almost exclusively at gigs because of playability coupled with convenience.

My Variax JVT-69S has a few issues: the nut is not well setup and was not glued in. The high E nut slot is wide and sloppy creating tone issues on the open E string. The nut slots are too deep and this can create loss of tone and additional friction.

The pick guard has a bulge on the bottom, looks like there was at one time a wire between the body and pick guard that warped it.

The bridge slips off its posts when all the strings are removed - be careful of this. And the bridge edge near the high E string looks like it got damaged, possible from slipping over the post.

The neck is not well aligned with the body, there's quite a bit more gap on the high E than the low E. Now that's easily fixed - but I've found I actually like it that way, so I'm leaving it. There's less risk of the high E slipping off the fretboard, and its easier to fret the low E with my thumb.

Otherwise I'm really happy with this instrument and use it almost exclusively at gigs because of playability coupled with convenience.

If mine had shown up that way, it would have gone back. I'd probably have overlooked, and/or remedied myself, any one of those issues...but together, imho that guitar should not have passed Q/C.

I think this depends on your goals. The Variax 89f can get you a couple of things.

1. Alternate tuning with the flip of switch on a Floyd equipped guitar. Personally I think when you are close to the natural tuning, like using the Drop D one it works well. The further away you get the worst it gets. Just look over this forum, there are multiple treads on Alternate tuning not working so well. Some have attributed this to the mechanics of your Palm muting, or to the fact the real string itself is not detuned but done via digital side creating vibrations you can hear but he amp doesn't etc... Some are totally happy with it, some not so much. I use another Les Paul with heavy strings for playing some songs we tune down to C standard.

2. Different guitar tones using one guitar. For example, my group does "Wanted Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi. I use the 12 string acoustic model and flip over to the mags for the solo and ending of the song. All one guitar and one guitarist. The tone match are real 12 string acoustic perfectly? Nope but it's pretty good and most of the audience really don't know what any particular guitar is supposed to sound like.  I've had a Varaix 500 before my 89f and the modelled tone tend to be good (Honestly I'm on firmware 1.7 on my Variax as I don't like the "HD" Variax tone). But they don't change the body of the guitar. The way physical guitar feels has a effect on the way you play. Variax can give you close sound to the original but not the feel. 

3. Remember you are paying the cost of the JTV for the electronics. The build quality of a JTV is not the build quality of most 1k up guitars. I had three high frets out of the box. I can say once that was corrected, I really like my 89f, it's my main stage guitar. The neck on the 89f is close to most Ibanez necks and feel is pretty good. The Graphtech Floyd is one of the best Floyd's I've used, although I have not owned too many before. The string spacing I believe is supposed to be close to the Jem spacing, which I really really like. The mag pickups are high output humbuckers with coil taps for the in-between settings and sound good to me. 

If I had the choice again, I'm not sure I would buy mine again, but I can say I'm not getting rid of it anytime soon for anything else.

If you plan to play heavily detuned palm muting staccato djent etc... I would avoid it. It is really made for getting a lot of different " conventional" sounds which it does very well.I dont delve a lot into the tunings but they work for me.Funk/ Blues/ Country/ Straight ahead Jazz/ Reggae /Dance music etc... its tough to beat. The Gretsch/ Rickenbacher and the P90 guitars are very good with a good tube amp.

Hope this helps a little

Good Luck!

If mine had shown up that way, it would have gone back. I'd probably have overlooked, and/or remedied myself, any one of those issues...but together, imho that guitar should not have passed Q/C.

Better the devil you know...

Don't ever buy a used car...with that philosophy, you'd go in looking for a '69 Mustang, and they'd talk you into a 3-legged mule with a seizure disorder.

That gave me a laugh! But I accept the criticism in the spirit in which it was expressed.

Basically I don't mind imperfections I can address myself. My wife says I always buy the bruised fruit because I feel sorry for it. Anyway, a few repairs help me connect with an instrument. I like that.