Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wah pedal activation

stanzelr

Hi,

I will start by disclosing that I'm not an expert with the device (love it nonetheless!).

An issue I've been having now that I'm starting to tinker with solos is getting the wah pedal to active.

It seems like it should be easy, but I'm having issues getting it to turn on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated (could be that I've overlooked something simple).

Kind regards,

Roger

you didn't specify what unit you had, so I will go with the assumption that it is a 500.

First -
It is not a wah pedal. It is an expression pedal. Assignable to just about every variable available on the unit.

That brings me to ---
did you put a wah in your fx chain?

If yes, did you assign it to the exp pedal?

If no, make it a yes.

Next up, for the advanced user -
you can assign values other than 0 and 100. Even reverse the values.
Also, if you only want a lead boosting wah, and don't intend on using the expression function - you can assign the wah to a footswitch to simply switch it on and off.

Most important for the expression pedal -
some users complain that the rubber underneath prevents the pedal from being pressed.
If you do not see the red/green light switching when you press it - you can either (void the warranty) by shaving some of the rubber off. Or you can put the unit on a hard surface instead of a carpet, and you can use it standing up instead of sitting. This seems silly, but it helps.

you didn't specify what unit you had, so I will go with the assumption that it is a 500.

First -

It is not a wah pedal. It is an expression pedal. Assignable to just about every variable available on the unit.

That brings me to ---

did you put a wah in your fx chain?

If yes, did you assign it to the exp pedal?

If no, make it a yes.

Next up, for the advanced user -

you can assign values other than 0 and 100. Even reverse the values.

Also, if you only want a lead boosting wah, and don't intend on using the expression function - you can assign the wah to a footswitch to simply switch it on and off.

Most important for the expression pedal -

some users complain that the rubber underneath prevents the pedal from being pressed.

If you do not see the red/green light switching when you press it - you can either (void the warranty) by shaving some of the rubber off. Or you can put the unit on a hard surface instead of a carpet, and you can use it standing up instead of sitting. This seems silly, but it helps.

What Pianoguy says - I have to physically stand on the expression pedal in the toe down position to switch it on/off, (that rubber underneath is real solid), and also I have some patches where it's on by default - it's easier in some scenarios, to simply change patch, and the wah is already on.

should you decide to shave a bit of the rubber off --- don't do too  much. 

1. the rubber should soften over time. making it easier to activate. 

2. if you take too much off, it will make a ugly metal clank when you try to press it as the metal pedal and medal board bang each other. -- which, again, the rubber will soften with usage, so the noise may not be there today but could be in the future. 

pianoguyy... You said "you can assign the wah to a footswitch to simply switch it on and off."  Does that mean I don't have to press down hard on the expression pedal to turn it on?  I just assign something to a footswitch and the pedal will become a wah pdeal?  If so, I'd appreciate detailed instructions on how to do that. Thank you in advance.

That is a good question -- being able to control on/off with a footswitch, and then the actual sweep effect with the exp. Never tried. Someone else will have to answer.

Why would you want that though? It is simply one more movement your foot needs to make.

I would only ever on/off it when I have a specific wah frequency that I need - such as for a solo. Or maybe when playing Boston.

Why would you want that though? It is simply one more movement your foot needs to make.

Because turning the wah on via the pedal requires a force of 1,000 bricks falling at 10,000 MPH (or Bruce Lee). I've tried during performance and I miss most of the time.  Pressing a FS and then moving to the pedal is no big deal.  I'm fast on my feet; just not heavy. :D

Not tried but another method of softening the rubber is to use a solvent like acetone squirted in a few times and wiped. The residue should be enough t soften it up but hopefully not too much.

Depends on what is used. Most likely the rubber is a polyurethane which is not as rubbery as rubber. Mentholated spirits will soften it more gently then acetone which will dissolve it.