Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Latest Firmware 2.10.00 For Hd 500 Sounds Worse

tyoh

Is it just me feeling that the latest firmware version 2.10.00 sounds worse?

Anybody feel the same?

Is it my ears going bad?

Although it was released nearly a year ago, I just updated mine, feeling insecure about it.

Well, frankly, after every update I feel like it sounded worse and worse.

Thinking of going back to the first version back from 2010.

My gut feeling is that, before the product launch they worked on it heavily, getting the sound right, then as updates came around, just a few minor group of people worked on the updates based on feedback and bug reports but ultimately breaking the soul of it's sound.

If anybody replies with a yes, I'm going back to the old firmware.

• 4 months later...

Is it just me feeling that the latest firmware version 2.10.00 sounds worse?

Anybody feel the same?

Is it my ears going bad?

Although it was released nearly a year ago, I just updated mine, feeling insecure about it.

Well, frankly, after every update I feel like it sounded worse and worse.

Thinking of going back to the first version back from 2010.

My gut feeling is that, before the product launch they worked on it heavily, getting the sound right, then as updates came around, just a few minor group of people worked on the updates based on feedback and bug reports but ultimately breaking the soul of it's sound.

If anybody replies with a yes, I'm going back to the old firmware.

yo ya intente de todo y el sonido de mi hd500 es el peor de la historia,  es probable que mi producto este defectuoso, pero somos muchos lo que tenemos este sentir,  por favor, ayudenme.

Only way to truly prove your theory would be to run your POD through

a spectrum analyzer and oscilloscope with each firmware version.

Not the kind of test equipment people have just laying around.

Alternatively, you could get software to analyze whats going on via soundcard line-in.

I use iZotope Ozone 5 for spectrum analysis if I don't want to use hardware for this

and a signal generator connected to the POD's input set on sinewave @ 100mV.

No average Joe is going to go to this much trouble. Just saying what it would take.

• 1 year later...

TYOH it is not just you. I have had my HD 500 for several years and did a firmware update in December 2014 and the electronic hissing is horrible and the distortion is the worst. With the factory settings I was able to achieve natural overdrive sound and tone, but with the update every single overdrive/distortion setting is the same. I am on here to make sure I can reset mine back to its factory settings to regain the ability to achieve the natural tones that it originally came with. Right now it is just another digital processor. I realize your post is a bit old, but it still applies, the factory settings are much better than any of the updates.