Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Merge block technique

twystedriffs

So who else uses the merge block to thicken their sound? I find spliting a path after an amp, each with their own cab and then instead of merging, move so you have a duplicate output gives great results. Then maybe a second amp path so you have three or more outputs to pan and adjust volumes. Is this common practice? My sound through stereo alto ts210s is getting better and better, and I find I am going back to earlier patches to add this effect. At the very least it is a cool option. Also if you need a cut or boost (for a verse or solo for example) you can just reduce the volume of one path, and add some flavor without taking away from your original tone.. just tonights thoughts after tweaking for awhile. I am up to 58 individual song patches, from very straight dual paths, to the above idea with four outputs. I also find adding a third path with just a cab and effects is a cool way to add a clean tone if you run out of dsp using dual amp paths for stereo higher gain sounds.layer them all together for some sweet depth and snapshot versatility...

• Upvote 2

I use splits and merges quite a bit.  Primarily with IRs and certain types of effects at the end of the signal chain.  Not so much with stereo spread in mind because I don't use it as there's just no dependable way to implement it FOH given room acoustics and spread of the audience.  I hadn't really thought about it for creating a thicker sound for song dynamics, but it may be something to keep in mind.

Hey Dune.. were you on the Korg d3200 forum? And when I go stereo, I rarely pan far, but just a little goes a long way to adding depth but I have a few with pretty drastic spreads.. just depends on the sound i am after, and I have a sound guy who works it too!

Hey Dune.. were you on the Korg d3200 forum? And when I go stereo, I rarely pan far, but just a little goes a long way to adding depth but I have a few with pretty drastic spreads.. just depends on the sound i am after, and I have a sound guy who works it too!