Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix / Logic Pro X / core audio problem

efunkelist

I'm using the latest updates on OSX, drivers, softwares and helix and you know, everything.

When reamping helix in logic the audio starts to cut and pop and mess up after a while. First a little and gradually more and more.

It helps when I initialize the core audio from preferences > audio settings.

The I/O buffer is at full 1024

Why do I have to keep doing this?  It does kill the workflow and sometimes recording the reamp is ruined.

I'm using the latest updates on OSX, drivers, softwares and helix and you know, everything.

When reamping helix in logic the audio starts to cut and pop and mess up after a while. First a little and gradually more and more.

It helps when I initialize the core audio from preferences > audio settings.

The I/O buffer is at full 1024

Why do I have to keep doing this?  It does kill the workflow and sometimes recording the reamp is ruined.

Maybe the issue is that you ARE using the OSX drivers. I never use the drivers and have never had an issue with audio degradation like you explain. Running latest OSX and reamped within Reaper and the included Garageband app. 

The issue is not only on playback but also recording. I was recording a demo with my band and some of the bass-tracks were corrupted :(

Yes, I have the optional driver because without it the helix didn't work at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I try to keep working with helix but I have to initialize the audio hardware about every 5-10mins. I haven't timed it but PRACTICALLY when reamping tracks to a song I have to re-initialize before every take to make sure the audio doesn't corrupt.

This sucks, big time.

Any ideas for help? Anyone else had similar experiences?

I try to keep working with helix but I have to initialize the audio hardware about every 5-10mins. I haven't timed it but PRACTICALLY when reamping tracks to a song I have to re-initialize before every take to make sure the audio doesn't corrupt.

This sucks, big time.

Assume you've tried different USB ports/cables.

I am having totally issue-free recording with Helix at this point.

Assume you've tried different USB ports/cables.

I am having totally issue-free recording with Helix at this point.

Yes. tried to change the USB-port, no luck with that the issue remains.

I'm starting to lose faith with this. For everything else in my use the helix is working nicely but for reamping it is not (sigh, reamping was one of the main reasons to invest in it though)

This sucks, big time.

Hi,

This was a big problem about a year ago, many people complained about popping, crackling drop out and fade out of audio on Mac OSX. Someone else recently asked about the driver situation and this is essentially what I told them.

Since then (mid 2016) we have had a few changes to OSX and Helix firmware. There is a school of thought that something in the Apple core had been modified and others think that Line 6 managed to fix the Audio problems. Either way it doesn't matter who fixed it - it seems to work just fine.

Now the original V1 Mac Driver seems to have been left at Beta stage, but if you look on the Software Downloads page there is a newer Helix Mac Driver 1.0.4 released on 3/30/17.

As I understand it now, every time there is an update to the Editor app, other bits and bats are also installed in the background, one of which is the driver. So if you have updated your Editor recently (which you probably have) then the driver will be in Macintosh HD/Library/Extensions. Inside the Extensions folder, you should see an item named "L6Helix.kext." If you don't want to use the Line 6 driver simply remove the file "L6Helix.kext" to the Trash.

I just checked mine and - yes, it's in there. So yes it seems I'm using it! Now I have no issues at all with the iMac (OSX 10.11.6 El Cap), Logic Pro 10.1.4 and Helix 2.21, they all play nice together, but as you probably realised some of your plug-ins require "core Audio" to function. I was slightly worried about that but I have had no problems whatsoever with plug-ins. Note I do have "Core Audio" √ Enabled under Logic Audio Prefs. I just let this stuff work it's magic in the background.

An a couple of old threads about this

http://line6.com/support/topic/23629-popping-and-clicking-using-logic/

http://line6.com/support/topic/23794-helix-recording-issue/page-1?do=findComment&comment=181422

Hope this helps.