Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The Rat has this terrible snarling and nasal tone how to combat it?

357mag

The Classic Distortion is definitely usable but I don't know what the purpose of the filter control is. I'm suspecting that is what is contributing to that really snarling, nasal tone that just screeches.

But is there a way I can use the pedal but really tone down that screech?

The Classic Distortion is definitely usable but I don't know what the purpose of the filter control is. I'm suspecting that is what is contributing to that really snarling, nasal tone that just screeches.

Which amps are you using it with or is it doing it with all the amps you try? Do you put an EQ before your pedals and after your guitar? What does your entire set up consist of?

Its a high pass filter where you can vary the frequency. The only way to tame it is to try the different positions and see where you are tone wise. Btw the tone knob on your guitar helps.

• Upvote 1

I usually don't use the EQ because they're too hard to set up trying to understand those percentages. I mostly used Marshalls and Parks.

Use the global EQ if you can't wrap your head around the percentages. At least there everything is in Hz, as the Lord intended...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What kind of tone are you going for? Eg. classic rock, 80s hair metal, 90s shred etc?

>>mostly use Marshalls and Parks

Which Marshalls do you use?

I don't use nor want an expression pedal. To me the filter control sounds like lollipop. Anyway, I would be willing to try and get a grasp on the equalizers if someone made a page that was really a clearcut explanation of how to set it up. I'm not talking about Bobo's page either. Most people who explain things do a very poor job. They always make assumptions assuming that the recipient knows what they're talking about. It's been my experience that you should never make assumptions period. Most of the time the listener has no clue as to the jargon that you are using. This is a very common mistake regardless of what field we're talking about.

A video is the best way to go. That way you can clearly see how to go about doing something. It's much more helpful than reading words on a page which tend to be unclear.

I don't use nor want an expression pedal. To me the filter control sounds like lollipop. Anyway, I would be willing to try and get a grasp on the equalizers if someone made a page that was really a clearcut explanation of how to set it up. I'm not talking about Bobo's page either. Most people who explain things do a very poor job. They always make assumptions assuming that the recipient knows what they're talking about. It's been my experience that you should never make assumptions period. Most of the time the listener has no clue as to the jargon that you are using. This is a very common mistake regardless of what field we're talking about.

A video is the best way to go. That way you can clearly see how to go about doing something. It's much more helpful than reading words on a page which tend to be unclear.

Video tutorial on  how to get rid of harshness / fizz with the HD parametric EQ (by Peter Hanmer / Peter JH upthread). I think this is a good explainer of some EQ fundamentals (mysteries) like how 'Q' actually works - see what you think.

• Upvote 1

Words on a page are only good for conveying ideas and messages.

When it comes to instructions that requires application just give someone

without a map directions and watch their face.

They'l say thanks for the directions but  unless they know 

where you are saying they have no idea.

Turn left at the next set of lights,

go two blocks and turn right is about it for most. 

But if you have a manual or directions of use to hand you can 

follow with device in hand.

Video tutorial on  how to get rid of harshness / fizz with the HD parametric EQ (by Peter Hanmer / Peter JH upthread). I think this is a good explainer of some EQ fundamentals (mysteries) like how 'Q' actually works - see what you think.

Thanks. I downloaded that video. That actually gives me some useful info. 

Thanks. I downloaded that video. That actually gives me some useful info. 

Yes, it's a good tutorial. Props to Peter Hanmer for putting it together. You *might* find that once you get comfortable with the parametric EQ you can go back to the Tone Guide and it will make more sense.

If you really don't like messing with the EQ effects, then I'd suggest using the better distortion / drive effects to alter tone instead. Tube Drive, Screamer and Line 6 Drive can do a fair bit of tone-shaping with their bass, mid, treble controls in addition to setting 'drive' and output gain. Finish the job with the amp model's own tone controls and maybe some cab and mic choices that work for you. Have fun - it'll come right in the end :-)

Rat haters! I have a few generations of the Rat: original big box, rat II and the turbo rat. All raspy goodness not to be cranked to max distortion and the filter used with care. Its not one to pop lightly in front of an already heavily distorted amp.