Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Daisy-Chain 2 x POD HD500s?

melaleuca62

Hello everyone,

I have 2 x POD HD500s, my original road-worn thing with broken pots and jacks etc and a near-new one I have just bought.

I would like to somehow link them together so that the new one will control both PODs with the output of both being available at the 1/4" outs of one only.

Any tips from anyone...?

Many Thanks,

Anthony (Australia)

There are a few options on the Loop hook up but simplest to start is the Guitar in HD send to the return on the 

second.

The loop slot can go after the Amp block and it can have no cab. On the 2nd return the cab model can be used

with one of the clean Amp models. No Cab only is the caveat. 

That leaves before the Amp FX on Guitar HD and after as well on the 2nd before the Cab model.

Just like in the real World. But not quite!

You could also bring the 2nd HD L and R output back to the Guitar HD FX L & R returns and use it's output. This would change which one has what amp model.

If needed you could have 4 paths but as you have 2 the above will work.

The midi as was said in previous post about the patch no. will be the same but the contents can be complimentary.

Be interested to hear or see how it works out.

Remember the FX  send is a stereo TRS plug and you could run dual paths thru both with more DSP for FX.

Many many thanks to everyone for your input and swift replies! 

you can't connect the HD500 to another HD500 using the L6 Link because the POD can be master but not slave (with that connection), ie it can send digital audio (and commands) through L6 Link to other equipment like the DT amp, but it can't receive them..

but you can connect two HD500 synced together using the FX Loop, and the MIDI connection which works in a fixed way following a certain table of values - ie you can't MIDI Map the Patches, thus going to a patch on the master HD500 will sync the slave HD500 to exactly the same patch number.

There are a few options on the Loop hook up but simplest to start is the Guitar in HD send to the return on the 

second.

The loop slot can go after the Amp block and it can have no cab. On the 2nd return the cab model can be used

with one of the clean Amp models. No Cab only is the caveat. 

That leaves before the Amp FX on Guitar HD and after as well on the 2nd before the Cab model.

Just like in the real World. But not quite!

You could also bring the 2nd HD L and R output back to the Guitar HD FX L & R returns and use it's output. This would change which one has what amp model.

If needed you could have 4 paths but as you have 2 the above will work.

The midi as was said in previous post about the patch no. will be the same but the contents can be complimentary.

Be interested to hear or see how it works out.

Remember the FX  send is a stereo TRS plug and you could run dual paths thru both with more DSP for FX.

Hello everyone,

I have 2 x POD HD500s, my original road-worn thing with broken pots and jacks etc and a near-new one I have just bought.

I would like to somehow link them together so that the new one will control both PODs with the output of both being available at the 1/4" outs of one only.

Any tips from anyone...?

Many Thanks,

Anthony (Australia)

Hi again,

Many, many thanks to everyone for your input and swift replies! What a great community! Had considered using the loop blocks but was a little unsure about how to configure the switching side of things as I'm a newbie with MIDI. Also was unsure if there was any type of master/slave setup you could use with the L6 link data link. Forgot to mention that I use the unit mostly via my old '85 Mesa boogie via 4-cable method and use preamp-only amp sims, so sorry if that wasted anyone's time.

Any other tips most welcome

Will be able to hit the user manual now with confidence. Downside for the family is I can see myself being a hermit in my man-cave tinkering and enjoying myself for an extended amount of time.

Cheers :)

Anthony

It has been a long while since I ganged two units together, so be interested in how the tinkering goes in your mancave. My backup is hooked up to my desk for vocal FX and bass FX monitoring. Usually record both a wet and dry version.

I have found that my styles rarely run out of DSP on one HD500 unit for live use.

• 1 month later...

newbie to midi and PODs as well. Hypotethically speaking  how would I daisy chain 2 pods to use one as a an extension to increase the DSP limit - example: usinf 1st unit for all the double amp  and distortion effects and 2nd one for time delay fx . ( but no 4 cable method - that only increases confusion for me) 

500 for a 500, plus 500 for a second 500. total of 1000. 

1500 for one helix. 

While the tone that comes from the Helix may or may not be worth 3x the price of one 500, you do get the ability add many more fx blocks and have man more routing options. 

So, if you are someone that needs more than one 500, the Helix is a much better option. 

newbie to midi and PODs as well. Hypotethically speaking  how would I daisy chain 2 pods to use one as a an extension to increase the DSP limit - example: usinf 1st unit for all the double amp  and distortion effects and 2nd one for time delay fx . ( but no 4 cable method - that only increases confusion for me) 

Well, the main thing you said is "no 4cm", which means you are going to run them in one single straight line. 

Guitar to Guitar In.

Unbalanced Out of Pod to Guitar In of the 2nd Pod.

Then you choose what output is going to whatever sort of amplification you have. 

And in each patch you make, the amps should be the last thing of the first Pod.

1500 for one helix. 

While the tone that comes from the Helix may or may not be worth 3x the price of one 500, you do get the ability add many more fx blocks and have man more routing options. 

So, if you are someone that needs more than one 500, the Helix is a much better option. 

I was strictly just hypothesizing but: used POD 500 on ebay can be had  for under $215. So instead of "upgrading" to 500X which from I understand is only increased capacity of DSP would 2 500 do the same trick for under the price of new 500X

and used a "used" Helix can be had for $900, so you are still $500 apart. 

1500 for one helix. 

Hi Everyone

I should've mentioned that a Helix is $2400 AUD in Australia, I can only dream!

Thanks everybody for your help, have set up my old one as a recording interface now

Cheers,

Tony