Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Got myself a pod HD500x need some help please!

silentshadow121

So i am use to podfarm 2.5 but its totally different. What i would like to know is how to use the hd500x the best way when using headphones. I dont own any halfstscks or 2x12's, only a 75w spider 4, so i cant use L/R stereo out. I keep hearing all these amazing tones (unmixed) but cant seem to reproduce them. And most patches are for big amps and dont sound the same. If any one can guide me in how to create great tones using headphones i would greatly appreciate it. For guitars i use a epiphone SG custom prophecy and a ibanez JEM77P-BFP. I also have a 10 band eq i could use as a chain with the pod.

How are you plugging into the Spider 4, is it as clean as can be? The Spider Jam 75 I have has an AUX in. Which output mode in the pod are you using?

I found this while searching:

http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/63627/

Re: Hooking up the POD HD 500 to Spider III 75 watt amp?
by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-05-16 17:02:25.1600

I don't know if this trick works on the Spider III as I haven't tried it, but for the Spider IV and Spider Valve MkII if you hold down the Tap button as you power on it puts the amp in test mode which bypasses all the DSP stuff and you can then feed the HD500 output into the front of the amp and treat it as you would a power amp.  I had reasonable success setting the HD500 output mode to Combo Pwr Amp as I recall with the Spider IV 150.  if that trick doesn't work, you can make up a special cable or use a 1/4" to 1/8" jack plug adapter and you can use the CD/MP3 Input (but the Spider III will still need a dummy jack plug into the normal front input to activate the CD input).

Nick

So i am use to podfarm 2.5 but its totally different. What i would like to know is how to use the hd500x the best way when using headphones. I dont own any halfstscks or 2x12's, only a 75w spider 4, so i cant use L/R stereo out. I keep hearing all these amazing tones (unmixed) but cant seem to reproduce them. And most patches are for big amps and dont sound the same. If any one can guide me in how to create great tones using headphones i would greatly appreciate it. For guitars i use a epiphone SG custom prophecy and a ibanez JEM77P-BFP. I also have a 10 band eq i could use as a chain with the pod.

Why involve the Spider at all? If you want to play through headphones, just use the headphone jack...tweak specific patches for use with headphones. No matter what you do, a patch created with an amp (ANY amp) will never sound the same through headphones, and vice versa. The frequency responses are worlds apart.

• Upvote 1

Spider in the room is far cry from listening to a mic'd up amp in a live room

while listening in the control room on headphones.

Use the power amp option on your amp for an "in the room tone" Just use L mono out on the HD.

For Monitoring thru headphones on the HD just start with an Amp Block no FX and keep at it until

you have an amp only tone to your liking. Once as good as you can get it. Then use EQs to

remove anything you still find undesirable in your tone.

If you are not an Audio experienced Engineer you wont know if you hear a problem or not.

If that is the case leave the EQing for now so too tweaking of the cab resonances.

Just add a delay set around 20ms and put it in on one side of the Amp Block. This simulates a room tone.

Follow this video;