11 replies to this topic

#1 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

Does that mean my Variax has better playability? I didn't know it was THAT good.

For a minute there, I lost myself.

Radiohead_bear-728286%5B1%5D.png 

#2 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14828 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

there are some crap guitars in the world!

anigif_enhanced-buzz-13707-1378942494-1.

#3 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:24 PM

there are some crap guitars in the world!

True, but I didn't know the 600 was that well built compared to other guitars. Perhaps it's a mix of being used to playing on it as well, but it makes me appreciate my guitar more.

#4 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14828 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:55 AM

the 600 was my main guitar for 5 or 6 years at least.. so very comfortable.

#5 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:40 AM

Would you say $475 (shipping included) with the bag, workbench interface, power supply, planet waves cable and VDI a decent price?

Other Ebay listings of the 600 seem to be around there when they have all the stuff.

The only complaint I have in terms of playability is the plastic nut catching my strings and rendering the tremolo useless.

#6 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14828 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:21 AM

the guy i traded mine to has it listed on craigslist for 475$ he has no idea what he has... (traded me a 1000$ guitar for it)

I updated mine to the planet wave auto trims and a bone nut.. was mint, pro setup, sunburst and complete...

but i imagine that $475 would be a great price on mine, and probably a decent price for a good condition one.

#7 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:50 AM

Mine is in pretty good condition. Did the tuning get better when you added a new nut?

I can't do bends and use the tremolo without going out of tune. I don't use trems that much but I was hoping I could get back into using it to express my playing more. I've seen techniques where the strat user does a bend and hits the trem to get in back in tune, but I personally find that really stupid and to be an interruption when playing. I just want it to be in tune whether using bends or the trem, but for now, I just stretch my strings until bends don't make the strings go out of tune.

I'm thinking about a TUSQ, but I don't know what size to get.

#8 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14828 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:03 AM

I had the luthier custom cut the bone nut for my string gauge and brand (i used 10-46 elixir POLYwebs, not the NANOwebs)

not only did it stay perfectly in tune (the locking tuners helped with that too) but the bone made the strings ring out a little better... lifted the whole feel IMO.

#9 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:25 AM

Thanks for the info. Man, a great guitar, just that crappy plastic nut that ruins it...

I'm really glad they stepped it up on the JTVs.

#10 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:33 AM

I think the JTV could be improved with a real good nut job too.  I replaced the standard nut on my 500 with an Ervana compensating nut.  I like the compensation but the nut isn't that great.  Not like a good bone nut.  I wish I was a little better craftsman - I would make my own.  I have tried with only partial success in the past to cut my own nut.  I know what needs to be done but it takes lots of patients and practice which I don't have.

#11 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14828 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:41 AM

I know graphtec has a drop in replacement, in particular one of their strat nuts thats the right size/spacing. (it's on a FAQ on their page i believe)

i bought it and took it to the luthier to be installed, and he "challenged" me to try the bone....

never installed the one i bought... come to think of it, i think he kept it! haha

that's probably as close to the JTV nut as you can get.

#12 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:48 AM

I am pretty sure that the JTV comes with a Graphtec nut.  They are pretty good but a well made bone nut would sound better on open strings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users