Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firehawk FX - Blackstar HT5R ? Specific setup?

Island_Moose

I have a Blackstar HT5R with 2 channels, clean and gain.  I recently purchased a Firehawk FX unit for the following reasons:

• Effects
  • Looper
  • Recording interface

I've had solid state modelling amps and I don't really like them.  I just want the add effects to my Blackstar amp.

So...the question is...

If I use the 4-cable method as described elsewhere can I still alternate between my clean channel and gain channel on the amp using the Blackstar footswitch?  The gain channel on an HT5R is a one trick pony, incredible gain and distortion, but it never cleans up, even at 1.  Therefore to just get "crunch" I would need to switch to the clean channel with some overdrive out of the FH.  Or do I just leave it on Clean and use the FH in place of any gain?  (I actually think the Blackstar bypasses the preamp...there is no gain control on the clean channel, only level and tone).

An example of what I'm trying to achieve is like the opening of Iron Maiden's Children of the Damned, an acoustic intro that I can loop, and solo over with heavy overdrive.

Sorry if this is vague, I can answer any questions.

post-2395852-0-51555300-1494534822_thumb.jpg

post-2395852-0-35225700-1494534829_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Can you setup one FH preset to loop continuously, then another to solo over? If so you could assign FX loop on one preset & combo front (or whatever it's called) on the other, going straight into the BS. I believe you're correct in your assumption that the amp fx loop bypasses the preamp section, where all of your amp channel switching occurs. 

BTW, I have a post over in the X3L forum that no one has answered concerning background hiss/noise @ idle with my X3L & Blackstar H20. When you get a chance could please turn up the vol on your amp (no gtr required/volume pedal on the FH down) and let me know how much noise you hear? I may have to buy a Firehawk if it's quieter, but I don't think it is. 

Good luck with your dilemma; hope you get an answer or figure it out.