Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dual amp patch - switching amps/clean signal query

eenymason

Hi Dual amp patch fiends - um er friends....a little help please?

I only have a few dual amp patches, and so far have only used them to combine amps for more complex tones. I admit I haven't delved into the manual about this specific odd behaviour, (even if I did, I bet I wouldn't find it), but I bet someone has an answer.

I'm trying to set up a patch for Sweet Child O Mine,and want to have two Plexi Lead 100s, with one of them set pretty hot for Intro/Leads etc, and the other cleaner, for the rhythm parts. The problem is, when switching one amp on. and the other off, the clean (read unprocessed) guitar signal still comes through the channel with the amp that's switched off. It's maybe not a huge problem, as I will use it with both channels centered, but is there a way around this weird setup? I haven't tried it in a live setting yet, but in setting the patch up through my computer stereo speakers, it's definitely sounding a little NQR to say the least, so I reckon I'm not going to be happy with it, and will probably just use two patches instead.

I did think of using the expression pedal to fade between the amps, but all my patches have the expression pedal controlling overall output volume (min 75%, max 100%), and I'd prefer to not change that setup. Also, I just wondered whether using the expression pedal to fade from one amp to the other would actually address the issue I'm referring to?

OK so I've just discovered that I need to change the amp volume when it's in "bypass" mode - i.e. switched off. I was gonna turn it right down, but left it at 20% - see how it goes!

Oddly, it's default is 100%

Who'da thunk it?

Oh that's right it's Line 6......

:rolleyes:

I'll leave this here for others pondering the same.

IMO it's not such an odd behavior, there are cases which with a single amp chain you may want just to bypass the amp by pressing a FS, and use only some of the FXs already in the chain, eg when switching to an acoustc guitar model when using a Variax guitar..

just L6 decided that that is the default behavior, and you just discovered how to change it to suit your needs..

if present in the chain, amp models like the FX models let the signal pass through them when bypassed, as expected

---------------------

ideas:

adding a second expression pedal, you could use one of them to try also a few different tricks to morph between different amps, or different version of the same amp.. ie by controlling the volume parameter of the 2 amps, one of them in reverse mode, or you could control the PAN FX Pedal if placed in the chain to go from one amp to the other..

or you could simply change several parameters at the same time of a single amp

Thanks Nico for you input - and I can certainly see the point of keeping the signal flowing in some circumstances. I certainly did just learn something, and I am grateful to the community for illumination.

I think the most common scenario this type of switching would be used for, is changing to/from a cleanish amp tone to an overdriven amp tone, like having a two channel amp.

This is clearly not what Line 6 had in mind, when deciding to keep the default output on the bypassed amp at 100%. This appears to be another arbitrary decision made with little thought given to the end user. When you think about it, (talking about the situation you mentioned), going from an amplified electric guitar tone, to an acoustic tone, would require changing patch on your Variax (assuming you're using a variax), so surely the best way is actually changing patch on the Pod, controlling all parameters that require changing at once. I can see that in some situations, you may actually be using an acoustic variax patch through an amp, but I'm sure there would be far less situations this scenario would arise, than the scenario I described above.

I am a huge fan of Line 6 product - don't take it that I'm just whinging on Line 6. They could think more from a user point of view, in some situations though....

I see your point..

however IMO L6 didn't want to favor any particular scenario, but they just treated all the blocks (FXs and amp models) the same way following the same logic, ie if the block is active it processes the signal, if it is instead not active it is bypassed, letting the signal passing through it untouched..

but given the possible needs of blocking the signal passing through the amp models, they added the bypass volume parameter to those type of blocks..

eg not very often, but sometimes happens to me to momentarily bypass the amp model to hear the difference between the un-amplified signal and the amplified signal, or to hear only the contribute of the FXs before the amp, or maybe when I'm in the middle of creating some patches, and I want try some acoutic parts without recalling specific patch..

so it's fine for me that any possible block when bypassed, it behaves simply as such, as it's great that there is also the option to mute the passing signal when needed

You have a greaty way of making sense of what appears as nonsense!! :P