Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Good preset for amplified acoustic nylon strings guitar?

hag01

I'm going to gig in a few days with an amplified acoustic nylon strings guitar, would you suggest me to plug the guitar direct to the PA, or could my POD HD500X enhance the sound?

If so, can someone here please help me to build a good preset for an acoustic nylon strings guitar?

Explain how to do it?

Or maybe someone here can recommend me on a preset shared in the CUSTOMTONE section?

Thanks in advanced.

If the idea is an "unaltered" sound, going direct is preferred --- assuming you have a proper way to go direct. Not everyone acoustic has an XLR jack, and if you have to use a 1/4" into a DI box, then you might as well go into the Pod.

But, if you care less about "unaltered" and more about results, then of course the Pod can help. 

Reverbs and delays. Eq. Volume swells. Just to name a few. 

How to make a good tone, especially with acoustics (nylon in particular), is not something that can happen by us. Only you and your gear (plus your ears) can do it. There's way to many variables. 

The biggest problem playing acoustic instruments live is feedback, not "tone" per se. In this regard, the HD500 can be a life saver. Before the gig, at home, turn up the volume of your FRFR monitors and hold the guitar up to the speakers. Keep turning up the volume until feedback starts. You can then use the parametric EQ to notch that freq out. Increase the volume more until you reach the 2nd feedback freq. Then the 3rd. That's probably enough for a nylon string (my banjo required about 5-7 notches). It's the combination of the instrument and transducer and transducer placement that causes these resonances, so they're largely independent of the room and venue. I also use the HD500 to equalize levels. I use several different instruments in a set so I assign a patch for each one, containing the proper EQ and level. This way I can switch between guitar, mandolin, uke, dulcimer, banjo, etc and not worry about feedback or matching levels. I'm somewhat of a purest so I don't use FX (compression, modulation, etc) on acoustic instruments.