Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Modeling/Tunings work through VDI, 1/4" does not

Hey all,

Hoping to get some help without sending my guitar in for repair (too many gigs in the coming weeks and service centers take too long to make repairs, at least from a friend's experience).  Ok, so the other day I was setting up tones on my Spider Valve a few hours before a gig and I realized that I needed to charge my battery.  I put the battery in the charger and approximately 5 min later I realized I needed to tweak one more tone, I then placed the battery back into the guitar, watched the battery level meter light up and heard the board switch on...then nothing.  I could not turn on modeling or change tunings.  I thought maybe the battery was not charged so I pressed the battery level button which did not work.  I placed the battery back on the charger and noticed that it was charging.  I waited an hour and tried again but nothing.  I wanted to make sure the whole guitar wasn't dead so I plugged it into the Spider Valve again and the magnetic pickups worked just fine.  I still needed a way to test the piezos so I went to my secondary rig and used the VDI cable this time.  When I plugged the JTV into the VDI, the knobs lit up and everything worked like normal, I figured this may have reboot the guitar so I tried again with just a 1/4" instrument cable and the battery but nothing was working except the magnetic pickups.  One thing that I did notice was every time I put the battery in for the first time, the battery level indicator lit up and the board sounded as though it was kicking on, but once again when I pressed the battery level button, nothing worked.

I should mention (although I don't think this made a difference) I had the guitar plugged into drop tune pedal because I use another guitar on stage.  I don't think this would have cause a short because I've heard of people using other pedals (e.g. Tube Screamers) in the the signal chain and never having issues.  I also read somewhere that someone had to use a TRS in lieu of an instrument cable (something about the JTV liking TRS cables better).  I've also heard of guys using powered A/B boxes to send power through the cable when not using a VDI compatible piece of equipment.

I guess I'm just hoping to hear that someone else went through the same ordeal so that I can get this issue taken care of ASAP.  Like I said earlier, too many gigs in the coming weeks to leave my guitar sitting in a service center.

Thanks in advance for your help

***Update***

So today I had to fix an issue with my Spider Valve Master Volume.  Sprayed the life out of it with some contact cleaner (did the trick for the most part but I will definitely need to open up that pot or replace it in the future).  Anyway, so I decided to use my JTV and to my surprise, the modeling and tuner functions work again.  I plugged the 1/4" instrument cable into the guitar, heard the board click over and I decided to check the battery level meter.  Everything is working again but I am still confused as to why this issue even occurred in the first place.  Anyone have any ideas or insight as to this issue yet?  Does anyone known if high environmental temperatures would cause the battery/guitar electronics to not function properly?

Thanks in advance!