Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Patch - Looping AG and Violin

andygridley

What is the proper way for me to create a patch OR patches that will allow me to loop acoustic guitar and violin live from the Helix?

• I want to be able to record acoustic guitar via the looper and then immediately add violin.
  • Ideally this would be done within a single patch where I have access to fx pedals for both.

Currently I have my violin sending into "Aux1" and my acoustic guitar sending into "Guitar In." Both sound excellent. 

How do I preserve 2 separate signal paths (the first signal path being acoustic guitar - sending through Guitar 1; and the second path being violin - sending through Aux 1) yet have them sum to the looper?

• Do I need to create 2 separate patches (violin) and (AG) and switch between the two?
  • Or can I create 1 patch using separate routing (paths 1A and paths  2A) to and somehow sum them to the looper? 

I was trying the latter idea of 1 patch with two separate paths (1A for guitar and 2A for violin) but guitar ends up being pushed through path 2a, thus picking up all the violin fx. Attached is my current patch.

Can anyone help?

post-21322-0-62240300-1495822013_thumb.png

That's relatively straightforward to accomplish.

1) place a gain block just in front of the looper block.

2) pull the gain block down to create path 2B

3) set path 1A to output to path 2B.

This will effectively have the guitar signal bypass the violin processing, but be pulled back just before the looper.

That's relatively straightforward to accomplish.

1) place a gain block just in front of the looper block.

2) pull the gain block down to create path 2B

3) set path 1A to output to path 2B.

This will effectively have the guitar signal bypass the violin processing, but be pulled back just before the looper.

Thanks. I tried your idea but I can't see an option to send 1A to 2B. Am I missing something?

post-21322-0-70824900-1495931872_thumb.png

Sorry, I missed a step. Click on the node that branches off and drag it down to path 2A. You should then see 2A starting at the left (input) side with "None" showing as the input source. At that point, go to the output of path 1A and 2A should show up as an option.

Thanks for your suggestion but I'm not seeing a way to drag nodes from path 1 (either 1A or 1B) to path 2. Is there a way you could build the split you are imagining, screen shot it and post here? I'd really like to understand what you're envisioning. 

You can't drag anything from path 1A/B to path 2 A/B. You can only drag a block within 1 or 2. You can go from A to B or vise versa, but you have to stay within 1 or 2.

And looks like I should've read my last post more carefully. Everywhere I mentioned "2A" should have been "2B".

I'll do up a patch and post a screen shot tomorrow.

• Downvote 1

Thanks for responding. Yeah, I'd love to see a screen shot of what you're thinking. Given the clarity you just provided, I think you're saying to create two paths within path 1 - path 1A/path 1B. I'm excited to see how you isolate each path (violin via aux 1 vs guitar via guitar in), splitting them to path 1A or 1B yet sum them to the looper. You'll be my hero and I'll cease to look like I'm tap dancing on stage. Ha ha.

Nope - split path 2 into A/B and bring path 2B back into 2A just before the looper. And set path 1(A) to output to 2B.

Seriously, you will kick yourself when you see how simple it is.

And I apologize for not making a patch to post yet. It is just too nice to go inside this evening. Sitting on the deck and enjoying an Old Fashioned. ðŸ¸ðŸ˜€

post-2303377-0-75011700-1496546605_thumb.jpg

OK, here's what you need to do:

First, click on the split block in Path 2A

post-2303377-0-11142600-1496608351_thumb.jpg

And drag it down. This connects Path 2B with an input.

post-2303377-0-53908600-1496608365_thumb.jpg

Click on the input for Path 2B and set it to None. This is so you don't get the violin coming through on that path.

post-2303377-0-27717400-1496608961_thumb.jpg

And now you can set the output for Path 1A to Path 2B:

post-2303377-0-79960700-1496608966_thumb.jpg

And finally, I'd recommend bypassing (muting) the Gain block on Path 2B. Its only purpose is as a placeholder to open up path 2B, it doesn't need to do anything.

post-2303377-0-31527800-1496608607_thumb.jpg

If you need to balance the volume levels between the two inputs, use the merge block. A level / B level.

post-2303377-0-88043200-1496608817_thumb.jpg

Hope that works for you!

• 1 month later...