33 replies to this topic

#21 ur2funky

ur2funky

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:58 PM

Is the modeling the same despite the different material/body shape and stuff? Not even a slight difference?

I have 4 JTVs...the modeled tones all sound the same (other than having 2.0 in one, 1.9 another, ect)  Strings gauges will make a difference though, but just like on any guitar.

Thru the mag pickups they sound different though.

#22 TxHCBP

TxHCBP

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

Well, here's the problem: how long did it take before you spotted this issue? Last minute quality checks can only do so much. I know on my guitars I haven't always noticed things initially either. You can really only solve these things by making sure your production processes reduce the likelihood of them being there in the first place. My Japanese guitars are waaaaayyyyyy higher production quality than my Korean guitars, including the JTV59. Out of respect for Line 6 I won't go into the manufacturing issues with my JTV59's, but definitely way below Japanese quality, but above Chinese quality. It's a mid-range instrument with expensive electronics.

Took a couple o' weeks. Should've taken MUCH less, but was trying to do things I don't normally do (like play lead WAY up the neck), so it took me a while.  You're right: it IS a mid-range axe - I just wasn't thinking that way. You're also right about the quality of production between the various East Asian countries. Just wish L6's "other" factory was Japanese.

#23 ozbadman

ozbadman

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

Just wish L6's "other" factory was Japanese.

Me too :)

#24 tomb68

tomb68

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

I can't speak to the scratch and dents but I got my JTV-89 when Sweetwater was blowing them out at $699.00, but in my opinion that seems like a good price, 1K seems like a fair price and the regular prices seem high. Had the blowout not occurred I wouldn't have one right now, though a scratch and dent might stuff tempt me. Honestly though had the blowout not occurred I would have probably tried the Peavey AT-200 instead. Just my 2 cents but I think they are a smidge over priced and yes I'm taking into consideration the "it's really 29 guitars" argument because who wants 29 guitars with QC issues? At 1.5K for a JTV 59 the quality needs to be on par with a US standard fender or US Gibson that's not a faded (SG standard anyone?) and I don't think that's unreasonable. QC shouldn't be dependent on origin of manufacture, but on employee training. I paid $699.00 for a Japanese Jackson it is was flawless and came with pricey electronics as well (2 duncans and a sustainiac). I can't complain about my JTV-89 even though it could use a pro setup, simply because for what I paid I am very satisfied. 

#25 ozbadman

ozbadman

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

QC shouldn't be dependent on origin of manufacture, but on employee training.

I agree with everything else you wrote, but local culture plays a role in manufacturing. I'm originally from Australia, and we have an expression there: "she'll be right". It means everything will be alright, so don't worry. For years we manufactured cars, and they had lots of problems because the "she'll be right" mentality made its way into the cars. I can't picture "she'll be right" being part of the Japanese culture, which is part of the reason they make flawless guitars. I buy Toyota cars now, although when I want a decent cheaper version, I buy Hyundai's. I don't buy Australian or American cars. There are exceptions of course: Australian and American-made guitars are excellent. Maybe Germany should make guitars too.

#26 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

I have zero quality complaints with my JTV69-S.  It's as good as my American Strat in every way.  Maybe not all of them are that way but mine is and it was a "Demo" from Sweetwater.

#27 tomb68

tomb68

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

I agree with everything else you wrote, but local culture plays a role in manufacturing. I'm originally from Australia, and we have an expression there: "she'll be right". It means everything will be alright, so don't worry. For years we manufactured cars, and they had lots of problems because the "she'll be right" mentality made its way into the cars. I can't picture "she'll be right" being part of the Japanese culture, which is part of the reason they make flawless guitars. I buy Toyota cars now, although when I want a decent cheaper version, I buy Hyundai's. I don't buy Australian or American cars. There are exceptions of course: Australian and American-made guitars are excellent. Maybe Germany should make guitars too.

I actually was thinking of Toyota as an example. I'm not a native Texan (don't tell anyone). About 2 years before I left KY several of my friends took jobs at the Toyota facility in Georgetown Ky. They were very heavily indoctrinated in the culture of Japanese manufacturing and attention to detail. Basically it was "meet our expectations in every way or leave". No one wanted to leave because the pay was so good. Go figure. Cars have a higher profit margin than guitars so maybe that approach isn't reasonable based on the return, but it is possible. Cultures can definitely be imported into a workplace, but you have to offer a pretty good carrot if you are brandishing the rod.

#28 line-6-user

line-6-user

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

I have just purchased a 69 from Andertons... (scratch and dents?) well... I looked hard everywhere and could not find anything wrong with it, the guitar is NEW! Even on the website it shows "no faults found" attached to the photos. Heavily discounted, had to have one. :D

#29 ur2funky

ur2funky

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:59 AM

A few more '59's showed up at Sweetwater yesterday....

http://www.sweetwate...ems=(JTV59CSd1)

#30 dbaudrate

dbaudrate

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:06 AM

Ya, I just purchased my jtv69 as an "open box" special...  The Line6 tape on the box was still in place.   It seems to me that they are trying to move inventory with these specials.  The serial number on my guitar starts with W1111, which means that this guitar was made 2 years ago?   Maybe they are allowing the older build dates to be priced down to get rid of them? 

#31 ozbadman

ozbadman

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

More likely it was a warranty return that got factory refurbished and shipped again.

#32 katiekerry

katiekerry

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

I can't speak to the scratch and dents but I got my JTV-89 when Sweetwater was blowing them out at $699.00, but in my opinion that seems like a good price, 1K seems like a fair price and the regular prices seem high. Had the blowout not occurred I wouldn't have one right now, though a scratch and dent might stuff tempt me. Honestly though had the blowout not occurred I would have probably tried the Peavey AT-200 instead. Just my 2 cents but I think they are a smidge over priced and yes I'm taking into consideration the "it's really 29 guitars" argument because who wants 29 guitars with QC issues? At 1.5K for a JTV 59 the quality needs to be on par with a US standard fender or US Gibson that's not a faded (SG standard anyone?) and I don't think that's unreasonable. QC shouldn't be dependent on origin of manufacture, but on employee training. I paid $699.00 for a Japanese Jackson it is was flawless and came with pricey electronics as well (2 duncans and a sustainiac). I can't complain about my JTV-89 even though it could use a pro setup, simply because for what I paid I am very satisfied. 

http://www.autotunef...r_Floor_Pedal_1

I see those features are coming in a pedal form to work with all midi guitars..

JTV 59 Tobacco Burst

HD500

Alesis DM10 Studio

#33 ajm583

ajm583

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:26 PM

I had a feeling those types of pedals would be appearing soon, actually surprised line 6 didn't produce the first one.

#34 ozbadman

ozbadman

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:42 AM

I had a feeling those types of pedals would be appearing soon, actually surprised line 6 didn't produce the first one.

I guess they want you buying a JTV instead of a GK-3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users