Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:59 PM

Hi Newbie to this site

I have been following this site for a while, and decided to leap in

I have a Line 6 Spider II

Could anyone advise me a good starting point for the settings when playing a bass through my amp

Thank you all in anticipation

Jane

#2 fflbrgst

fflbrgst

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:29 AM

Which model do you have - what speaker size?  Note that most guitar amps have a frequency range sculpted for guitars, and hence do not have much frequency response below 80Hz - this is especially true for the speakers used with guitar amps.  Playing a bass through a Spider may not give satisfactory low end sound, and possibly could damage the speaker if played too loud.

#3 TummyBanana

TummyBanana

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

Hi Mike

Its a Spider II Modelling amp (2nd generation) 75 watt 1X12 inch celestion.

Jane

#4 TxHCBP

TxHCBP

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:09 AM

Are you using a 4-string, 5-string, ?  What volume level(s) are typical for your playing? It all makes a difference.

As fflbrgst stated, you have to match freq ranges. You ALSO must consider volume, as, if your volume is much higher on the bass, you could "blow" your speaker. Bass speakers typically have greater travel ranges than guitar speakers, as the bass freqs will push a cone farther (physically) than the higher freqs of the guitar, especially if the volume is up there.

I'd try it at very low volumes at first and see how that works for you. If you MUST go to higher volumes, mic it and push that into your PA.

Good luck with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users