Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Enabling compressor on a distorted amp = strange sound artifact

oddbeck

Hi!

This is a bug and a bit nasty one, but I have no clue as where to report such bugs - would this forum be the correct place?

If I have an amp enabled with quite the amount of gain, and I then enable the compressor it creates an ugly spike in the volume for a short moment.

This when I let the guitar ring while enabling the compressor.

If I than disable and enable the compressor again there's no such volume spike.

This should be reported back to line6 somehow.

Can others here verify it? I've already had other users on facebook acknowledge this spike.

• 1 month later...

So I opened a support ticket for this & Line6 says that "People's don't usually kick a compressor on and off during play, but if it's a desired feature I would encourage you to submit that feedback at our idea scale" so I have done exactly that at https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/903644

No idea if it'll lead anywhere but we can always dream, right?!!

I thought Line 6 promoted Ideascale as being the place for new ideas, to improve products etc., not for people to report defects affecting some or all units.

Support would be the right place to raise the issue and, in my opinion, their response is inappropriate and inadequate.  It is clearly an issue that needs to be resolved.  The reality is that people do kick in the compressor part way through a song and, regardless, bringing the compressor in at any time should not spike the volume.

That "pop" is the same sound that I hear when changing between some patches. I've previously called it "explosive" because it is a massive crack that sounds like an electrical fault and if you're anywhere near the speakers it can hurt your ears. It's that loud. The only way I've been able to fix it is to rebuild patches from scratch.

Interesting that it might be the compressor, I hadn't picked up on that link previously. If that's what it is, I'll just remove the compressor from each patch. It's overrated anyway.

That "pop" is the same sound that I hear when changing between some patches. I've previously called it "explosive" because it is a massive crack that sounds like an electrical fault and if you're anywhere near the speakers it can hurt your ears. It's that loud. The only way I've been able to fix it is to rebuild patches from scratch.

Interesting that it might be the compressor, I hadn't picked up on that link previously. If that's what it is, I'll just remove the compressor from each patch. It's overrated anyway.

I've too noticed that pop with the presets that came with the unit. It's most likely the compressor. I've since made my own presets and almost never use the compressor so I haven't noticed it on my own presets. Did you try to disable the compressor on the loud pop patches in question?