#21 Fendervariax

Fendervariax

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

Hi folks

the telecaster sound of the Variax sounds quite good. However, the strat sounds so nasal and artifical. Any hints what to do? Compare to my real strats it is like a piece of ....

What s your experience

Thanks

Sacapuntas

Hi, despite all the answers, yes, I also do think that strat model does´nt. sound like a strat at all. More like a Les Paul with single coils.

Honestly, I´ve been comparing it to my real strat (2010 US ) for a few days, and the variax model lacks the sparkle and the harmonic content of a real strat.

I´m not saying that it sounds bad, it´s very usable and distinct from other models, but it can´t replace the real thing. It sounds sterile in comparison.

In my opinion, humbuckers are easier to model, the are more compressed and with less overtones than single coils are.

I don´t really think it´s going to be possible to capture the real soul of the strat in this generation. 

Just my opinion. Cheers.

#22 Inerzia

Inerzia

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

Have any of the people who hate the 2.0 strat have played a real strat?

That's a bit arrogant, don't you think? As if strats were hard to come by...
I may have played just one or two strats before buying my v700, back in 2004, but have played many more since, and, probably, every one of them delivered a different array of timbres.
I loved the 2 and 4 positions on preHD firmware because it had *THAT* Knopfler tone, and that IS a strat tone. 
Aside from the workbench bug and the string volume issues, the current spank position can sound like a decent strat, and more realistically so, being HD and all, but the previous spank DID SOUND LIKE A STRAT!!!  
It did, and I loved it for that. Many of us loved that model and we miss it. What's so hard to understand about that? 

It's been a month or so, since I installed 2.0 on my JTV and, even though I would still prefer a 1.9 spank kind of tone, I'm not rolling back because I still have the v700 to get that tone. Besides, the new one is nice, and it's starting to grow on me.

#23 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

That's a bit arrogant, don't you think? As if strats were hard to come by...
I may have played just one or two strats before buying my v700, back in 2004, but have played many more since, and, probably, every one of them delivered a different array of timbres.
I loved the 2 and 4 positions on preHD firmware because it had *THAT* Knopfler tone, and that IS a strat tone. 
Aside from the workbench bug and the string volume issues, the current spank position can sound like a decent strat, and more realistically so, being HD and all, but the previous spank DID SOUND LIKE A STRAT!!!  
It did, and I loved it for that. Many of us loved that model and we miss it. What's so hard to understand about that? 

It's been a month or so, since I installed 2.0 on my JTV and, even though I would still prefer a 1.9 spank kind of tone, I'm not rolling back because I still have the v700 to get that tone. Besides, the new one is nice, and it's starting to grow on me.

I know. I apologize, but at the same time I'm kind of serious. We shouldn't be complaining to bring back 1.9 to replace 2.0 if it's actually accurate.

I think it's been mentioned that the 2 & 4 positions are literally bugged out and that they're trying to fix it. I don't understand why they haven't fixed it yet.

For a minute there, I lost myself.

Radiohead_bear-728286%5B1%5D.png 

#24 johnnyayyy

johnnyayyy

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1364 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

Is that just for position 1 or have you compared the 1.9 pos 2 & 4 to the 2.0?

On a strat I never play position 1 or 3, 90% 2 or 4 and sometimes neck pickup. I can't wait to get home in a little over a week so I can finally upgrade to 2.0.

I only did the exhaustive A/B recording comparisons in position 1 - I don't use 2,3,4, or 5 for any songs or for recording so far, I use Spank 1 for a growling twangy vintage surf/rockabilly tone and HD 2.0 sounds fairly close to the real thing, definitely in the ballpark and much closer than 1.9 and earlier.

With JTV 2.0 Spank sounds like a Strat now - firmware 1.9 and earlier never did IMO and this is definitely not a complaint, as I said before I never liked the sound of Strats at all til recently but I loved the sound of pre-HD Spank from the first moment I heard it.

I have only recently begun to appreciate Spank position 2 through 5 and I am having fun noodling around in those positions lately, especially pos. 2 - from the limited amount of playing I have done on those positions and without having done proper A/B testing I would say 2.0 HD in all positions sounds much more like my real Strats than pre-HD ever did.

#25 israz99

israz99

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:11 AM

Hi folks

the telecaster sound of the Variax sounds quite good. However, the strat sounds so nasal and artifical. Any hints what to do? Compare to my real strats it is like a piece of ....

What s your experience

Thanks

Sacapuntas

I've modified the spank settings in WB 2.0 and next week I'll be posting some samples and see if our camarades here think they sound better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users