Photo

Small Stage Setup On A Budget

l2m hd500x l6

Best Answer silverhead , 21 September 2013 - 07:10 PM

You could connect your HD500 to the Line In on one of your L2m speakers rather than use L6 Link. That would solve your volume issue. You can still link the 2 L2ms together using L6 Link as shown in the diagram above.

But if you can spring for two L3t speakers you could remove (sell?) your mixer and use the L3t onboard mixers.

You're right about the HD500 volume using L6 Link. I find it difficult to mix other things with it; it's best on its own using L6 Link. I use the HD500 audio outputs into the L3t Line Ins when adding mics or other instruments to the equation.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 farmerd79

farmerd79

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:39 AM

My goal is to have a stage setup utilizing my new Line6 equipment while tying in some existing equipment. I need to amplify my guitar, a keyboard and 3 mic's. I have a Variax into an hd500x. Our band has a small mixer. My thought is variax into 500x into one of the L2m's via L6. I'd then send our mic's and the keyboard out from our mixer into the same L2m via the Line input jack. I was then thinking to link the two L2m's via L6 cable. I've done some preliminary setup and am finding that there is no way to adjust the level of my hd500x output via that L6 link to essentially mix my guitar in with the vocal/keys mix. I can obviously adjust my guitar level via my volume knob and the volume pedal but wondered if there is a way to adjust what I'm calling the output level of my guitar. Is the only way to adjust that via the level knob on the L2m? If so, I think I can get my vocal/keys mix mixed with the guitar level but it's not quite how I envisioned it.

Lastly, am I way off? Should I be considering it differently with a different configuration? Please keep in mind I don't want to spend money on something else (like the stagescape mixer) at this point.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

I'm hoping you haven't yet bought your L2 systems, farmerd79...

...Because I'd strongly urge you to consider the "t" versions for your total systems' solution.

Although the connection diagram below quotes the L3t, both the L2 "t" and the L3 "t" share the same onboard mixing and production power, so it's my firm opinion that hooking up a pair of L2t systems in the manner illustrated will not only most likely "out input" your small mixer, but also will definitely "leave it for dead" in terms of both sonic quality and speedy set-up.

file_r15788.jpeg

#3 farmerd79

farmerd79

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

Ugh...I have already purchased the two L2m's. I guess as I reread my initial post I don't make it clear that in addition to purchasing the 500x and the JTV, I also purchased two L2m's. I was thinking I didn't require the t's considering I have my little mixer. Thanks for your response Ron. I was working through things today and have some new info.

1. I still cannot find any way to adjust the level of my hd500x output via the L6 link without just adjusting the level knob on the L2m itself.

2. My L2m's are reading, via the 7LED readout, 1 and 2 instead of L and R when my 500x is connected to one of them via L6 link. This makes my guitar audio come out of both but the line in from my little mixer is only playing on one of the L2m's. The one that the mixer is plugged into.

Perhaps I need to test Sweetwater's return policy and spend the extra for the L2t's?

#4 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11078 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:10 PM   Best Answer

You could connect your HD500 to the Line In on one of your L2m speakers rather than use L6 Link. That would solve your volume issue. You can still link the 2 L2ms together using L6 Link as shown in the diagram above.

But if you can spring for two L3t speakers you could remove (sell?) your mixer and use the L3t onboard mixers.

You're right about the HD500 volume using L6 Link. I find it difficult to mix other things with it; it's best on its own using L6 Link. I use the HD500 audio outputs into the L3t Line Ins when adding mics or other instruments to the equation.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#5 farmerd79

farmerd79

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

Good thoughts, Silverhead.

I thought about connecting the hd500 to the line in. I guess I'd like to have a better understanding of what I might be sacrificing when switching away from the L6 out. I have no idea.

It does seem that the L6 link from the hd500 is best on its own.

If I were using the line in combi jack on one of the L2m's from my mixer then I would have to use the other L2m line in for the hd500. At that point, would I need to connect both L2m's together with two L6 link cables in order for all audio to come out of both speakers? Does that make sense?

Thanks again for the input.

#6 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

...If I were using the line in combi jack on one of the L2m's from my mixer then I would have to use the other L2m line in for the hd500. At that point, would I need to connect both L2m's together with two L6 link cables in order for all audio to come out of both speakers? Does that make sense?

Yes, you would ...and yes, it does !

...HOWEVER...

...Perhaps I need to test Sweetwater's return policy and spend the extra for the L2t's?

I'd strongly urge you to try doing that "return and replace", as I'm sure you can see that making that change will surely open up a whole host of possibilities.

Incidentally, while I have neither affiliation with, nor particular loyalty to ANY manufacturer or supplier, it's a matter of fact that Sweetwater supply me with a whole host of gear that I ship to Australia via a forwarding agent.

Another fact, ...their after-sales service is famously superb.

You could connect your HD500 to the Line In on one of your L2m speakers rather than use L6 Link. That would solve your volume issue. You can still link the 2 L2ms together using L6 Link as shown in the diagram above....

...I thought about connecting the hd500 to the line in. I guess I'd like to have a better understanding of what I might be sacrificing when switching away from the L6 out. I have no idea...

Whatever scheme you adopt for interconnecting your two L2 speakers, I would also tend to favour using the analog line outputs from the HD500x to make it easier to "mix" at your speakers, ...exactly as silverhead has suggested.

You can do this in three ways:

1. A single tip-sleeve jack to tip-sleeve jack  guitar cable from either unbalanced jack on your POD's back-panel for mono,
  2. A pair of those tip-sleeve jack cables, one from each of those unbalanced jacks on your POD's back-panel going separately to each speaker for stereo, (quite feasible, if untidy) ...or...
  3. My personal "favourite", an adapter cable that takes a pair of tip-sleeve jacks (from your POD's back-panel) to the pair of RCA connectors that's on either one of your L2 systems, (the one nearest to you) for "magically" passing "half" of its "stereo pair" to its "mate" on the "opposite" side, via Line 6 Link.    

In terms of "sacrificing" anything, ...YES, that additional ease of control comes at the "price" of your HD500x's output no longer being digitally delivered  to your system in pristine "better than CD" quality.

It is, however, highly arguable whether any of us mere humans can actually hear that slight drop in quality. 

#7 farmerd79

farmerd79

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

Ron, I have made the switch. I'm expecting the L2t's tomorrow. I experimented with the cable you speak of from the tip-sleeve jacks of the 500x. I didn't notice any noise, although I don't know that I'm sophisticated enough a player to utilize the stereo-ness of the 500x. I practiced with my band via a single tip-sleeve instrument cable into the line in combi jack and other than some patches being too quiet it sounded good. I was running the master knob on my 500x at 3 o'clock.

I have a question about using a keyboard with the RCA jacks. I got some serious noise/hiss when using a 1/4in y cable to RCA from the keyboard but when we went straight 1/4in to 1/4in tip-sleeve into the combi jack it was fine. What's up with that? Why would it be ok to use the RCA with the 500x but not the keyboard?

#8 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

That's an amazingly powerful and versatile "switch", farmerd79...

...one I'm sure you'll never regret ...and as I mentioned earlier, my ongoing experience of Sweetwater Sound places them firmly in my "Worldwide Top Ten".

Now, to this "curve ball"...

...I got some serious noise/hiss when using a 1/4in y cable to RCA from the keyboard but when we went straight 1/4in to 1/4in tip-sleeve into the combi jack it was fine. What's up with that? Why would it be ok to use the RCA with the 500x but not the keyboard?

It's almost impossible for us to be sure about that "symptom" without having the individual cables and (more importantly) the individual keyboard physically in front of us.

As you'll see from this conversation http://line6.com/sup...killing-an-l3t/, various keyboards themselves carry their own unique "baggage", ...output wiring, output level and earthing issues often being part of that worrisome "bundle".

That "baggage" also often constitutes much of the reasoning behind many keyboard players using a dedicated "stand-alone" mixer immediately adjacent to them.

(Fine, if they can afford the space, the cost and the time/crew to set it up...)

Also, the exact configuration of our RCA "y" cord adapter is VITAL, with its actual connections from the keyboard's jack being dependent on how that jack output is itself configured, ...which is why I only mentioned a keyboard's separate "Left" and "Right" individual jack outputs in my earlier reply.

Some keyboards, however, also provide a "Mono" jack that's "guitar-wired" (being tip-sleeve only: "tip" being signal "hot" or "+", with its "sleeve" being "shield" or "ground") for just such purposes, which may work better for this particular rig, ...PROVIDED its "tip" goes to both centre "pins" of your RCA pair, and the "sleeve" to at least one (but preferably both) of the RCA's outer "skirt" contacts.

Still others feature RCA "Recording" outputs, which means that a standard (if longer and heavier duty) RCA to RCA cable could be employed for "instant stereo" connection from them.

Whatever happens, I know that you're about to have "a ball" experimenting with the huge range of sonic and spatial options that are about to arrive ...and I'm fairly confident that your existing mixer will also "slot into" a new role, reduced though that may be.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: l2m, hd500x, l6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users